Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Johns Hopkins Press Releasing 100 Titles into Open Access . . .

. . . of a projected 200 total titles that they're releasing into OA, in this project. In this case, at least, "Open Access" indicates that they are _free_.

All of these 100 books are part of JHU's backlist, and are currently out-of-print.

I couldn't find a single gateway webpage for all of the information about the initiative, so I'll give you 3 of JHU Press's webpages about it; each one _appears to me_ to give a little more information than others do.
(I'm sorry, but my spellchecker refuses to let me do this correctly--Ignore the hyphens: )
muse.j-h-u.edu
press.j-h-u.edu
hub.j-h-u.edu

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-23-2019 at 09:01 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:41 AM   #2
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
I found this list of books available through their Open Access program. There are about 1800 books currently, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything but an alphabetic list of titles. The book list can be downloaded in one of a couple of formats but I didn't find a quick way to separate them by subject matter. The couple I looked at were broken into individual PDF files with download links.

https://about.muse.jhu.edu/muse/open-access-overview/
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2019, 04:38 AM   #3
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindleing View Post
I found this list of books available through their Open Access program. There are about 1800 books currently, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything but an alphabetic list of titles. The book list can be downloaded in one of a couple of formats but I didn't find a quick way to separate them by subject matter. The couple I looked at were broken into individual PDF files with download links.

https://about.muse.jhu.edu/muse/open-access-overview/
Thank you for your comments.

For the sake of brevity, in part, I did not mention that JHU Press is already an OA publisher/provider. I _think_ that all of the titles in this project are from JHU Press's _backlist_. I got that _impression_ from reading that on at least one of their webpages (with no qualification as to how many of them, or what percentage, etc.). On the other hand, up until this project, previous _free_ ebooks from JHU Press have all, or at least for the most part, been _brand new titles_ that JHU Press published under the OA model.

It certainly is annoying to have to download each chapter, as well as other parts of the book, individually. Other publishers require it, too--I do not know the reason(s) for it, and won't air my speculation on it/them. What I've done in the past is to use an entire _folder_ on my hard drive for a specific ebook, and download each part of the book into the folder. That's been less than satisfying, but the only system that I could think of. If someone else has a better system, I certainly would like to hear about it!

Sorry that you weren't able to get a list of JHU Press's OA titles, separated by subject. There are two OA search engines that I know "off the top of my head": (Sorry--the spellchecker insists on "correcting" the URLs of the webpages, which URLs do not need correcting. Here are the webpages; ignore the hyphens: d-o-a-b-o-o-k-s-.-o-r-g and o-a-p-e-n-.-o-r-g ). Unless you want JHU titles, specifically, you can do a search for OA titles, on specific subjects, at those websites. But I know that sometimes it's nice just to browse through the subjects of a particular website.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 10-24-2019 at 05:12 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote