Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 07-20-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast
Maria Loranger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite + Kobo Libra 2
Kobo database version unsupported + Error when trying to update Calibre to version 6.

Apologies if issue(s) have already been discussed - I was not able to find anything.

This is the problem:

1. Failed to send ebook from Calibre version 5.42 to Kobo Libra 2
Got message:
"calibre, version 5.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 170.
Device firmware version: (4, 33, 19611)"

2. Failed to update Calibre to version 6.1 (latest).
Got message: please see attachment.

I'm stymied, I don't know how to proceed.
I would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	195174  
Maria Loranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are running Windows 7 or 8, you will not be able to install Calibre 6. If you are running Windows 8, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free and then install Calibre 6. If you are running Windows 10 or Windows 11, try installing the portable version of Calibre 6.1 and see how that works.

But for now, install Calibre 5.44 as it supports the current Kobo firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 06:18 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Additionally why not just follow the instructions in the message and check the box to support unsupported database versions

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Additionally why not just follow the instructions in the message and check the box to support unsupported database versions

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
The setup says things have been changed. So if Maria has to reinstall Calibre, installing 5.44 would be best.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The setup says things have been changed. So if Maria has to reinstall Calibre, installing 5.44 would be best.
Jon, how exactly do you manage to read setup saying things have changed into a message that explicitly says: "Your system has not been modified."?

Enquiring minds are eager to know.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Loranger View Post

I would be very grateful for any help.
Thank you.
If you are not running Windows 10 64bit or better, calibre will no longer install. One of the basic parts of calibre is QT and calibre 6 uses QT6 which is not available in a 32 bit version.

Another possibility is permission errors. If you are running Windows 10 64bit or better, try right-clicking on the calibre installer and selecting Run as administrator.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
what version of windows is this?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:18 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Apologies if issue(s) have already been discussed - I was not able to find anything.

This is the problem:

1. Failed to send ebook from Calibre version 5.42 to Kobo Libra 2
Got message:
"calibre, version 5.42.0
WARNING: Failed: Kobo database version unsupported - See details

Your Kobo is running an updated firmware/database version. As calibre does not know about this updated firmware, database editing is disabled, to prevent corruption. You can still send books to your Kobo with calibre, but deleting books and managing collections is disabled. If you are willing to experiment and know how to reset your Kobo to Factory defaults, you can override this check by right clicking the device icon in calibre and selecting "Configure this device" and then the "Attempt to support newer firmware" option. Doing so may require you to perform a Factory reset of your Kobo.

Discussion of any new Kobo firmware can be found in the Kobo forum at MobileRead. This is at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223.

Device database version: 170.
Device firmware version: (4, 33, 19611)"
As the others have said, all the information is in the message. It tells you what the problem is, how to work around it, where to go to see find information and some version numbers to help if things are not working. And this basic problem has been discussed a lot. Do a search for "Kobo database version unsupported" to see.
Quote:

That error does not, to me at least, say that your system cannot support calibre 6. You should see a more explicit message about that. I would suggest rebooting your computer and trying again. If you still cannot install calibre 6, then try calibre 5.44. That is the last release of calibre 5 and includes the changes to support the version of the Kobo firmware your device is using.

Edit: Didn't notice Kovid's post.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:16 AM   #9
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Many thanks to all who have replied.

I'm running Windows 10 Home, 64bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044.1826, with the Windoes Experience Pack Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0.

I rebooted and tried again to install Calibre 6.1 (calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi) - same failure, same error message.

Based on your suggestions, next I will try to uninstall my Calibre 5.42 and download and install Calibre 5.44.

Will get back to you with the result.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:10 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Many thanks to all who have replied.

I'm running Windows 10 Home, 64bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044.1826, with the Windoes Experience Pack Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0.

I rebooted and tried again to install Calibre 6.1 (calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi) - same failure, same error message.

Based on your suggestions, next I will try to uninstall my Calibre 5.42 and download and install Calibre 5.44.

Will get back to you with the result.
You don't have to uninstall 5.42. 5.44 2will install on top of 5.42.

As for 6.1, I suggest trying the portable version. The portable version is also 64-bit. If 6.1 portable does install and does run, copy the config from 5.42 to the config of 6.1 portable and you'll be good to go.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #11
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Thank you JSWolf.
Still no luck.
I downloaded calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi and tried to install it over my 5.2 - failure. Please see the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	195211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	195212  
Old 07-21-2022, 01:53 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thank you JSWolf.
Still no luck.
I downloaded calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi and tried to install it over my 5.2 - failure. Please see the attachments.
With your error installing calibre 6, I am not surprised about that. It appears there are problems with your system. You could try running the installer as an administrator. Or uninstall the current version, cleanup the calibre install directory and then do the install again.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 06:18 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Maria Loranger - where are you installing calibre - i.e. in which folder?

I recommend following @davidfor's second suggestion, uninstall, clean-up, and install - you won't lose your Preference settings, or libraries.

I would also do a lightweight registry clean before the fresh install.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 05:46 PM   #14
Maria Loranger
Enthusiast

Unhappy No luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Maria Loranger - where are you installing calibre - i.e. in which folder?

I recommend following @davidfor's second suggestion, uninstall, clean-up, and install - you won't lose your Preference settings, or libraries.

I would also do a lightweight registry clean before the fresh install.

BR
I always install in the folder picked up by the installer (in my case is "Calibre2 - because of an older reinstall, probably).

I removed Calibre, I ran CCleaner, I deleted Calibre folders in Program Files and App Data.

Installing calibre-64bit-6.1.0.msi failed.
Installing calibre-64bit-5.44.0.msi failed.
In both attempts, install starts and then goes back removing files and at the end of this I get the same error message.

Short of reinstalling Windows, I don't know what to do...
Old 07-24-2022, 06:08 PM   #15
jmurphy
Zealot
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:

Short of reinstalling Windows, I don't know what to do...

You could try to enable logging for the installer:
msiexec /i "installer.msi" /l*v "log.log"

There might be something useful there.
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo libra 2, unsupported firmware, update failure