Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-23-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Full Text Search - Allow interrupting/pausing current query

When doing searches that return a large number of results, should it be useful to have the option to pause/interrupt the ongoing query?

I'm thinking less cpu load while browsing the results...

Also, maybe a way to export search results?
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Start another query and it will abort the existing one. Otherwise I dont see much point.

As for exporting the results, what's the use case?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2022, 06:53 PM   #3
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Kovid, thank you so much for implementing FTS. It works like a charm!

Use case for pausing the query would be, at least for me as a laptop user (often on battery and power saving mode, which limits CPU performance), to be able to browse through the results more "staticly", like reading a book. I know I'm not making myself much clear, so I've attached a screenshot...

Exporting the results after the long-running queries would serve that purpose as well.

found this interesting: https://www.sqlite.org/c3ref/interrupt.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap0326 2022-07-23, 19_39_01.png
Views:	84
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	195266  
Old 07-23-2022, 08:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can click the rotating spinner to abort the search. I'm afraid I dont find the use case for exporting compelling enough to spend time on it. At some point I will be adding support for FTS to the calibredb command at which time you can use it to export the search.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can click the rotating spinner to abort the search. I'm afraid I dont find the use case for exporting compelling enough to spend time on it. At some point I will be adding support for FTS to the calibredb command at which time you can use it to export the search.
whee! that works!

thanks
Advert
Old 07-23-2022, 11:43 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Hi Kovid, thank you so much for implementing FTS. It works like a charm!

Use case for pausing the query would be, at least for me as a laptop user (often on battery and power saving mode, which limits CPU performance), to be able to browse through the results more "staticly", like reading a book. I know I'm not making myself much clear, so I've attached a screenshot...

Exporting the results after the long-running queries would serve that purpose as well.
You can export the results of text search by:
  • Using the 'Mark' books feature of Text search
    You don't have to wait while it displays the snippets in the results list, as soon as it starts doing that, select Mark books->Mark all matched books in the library and then Close
  • Then search book list for 'marked:true'
  • Then create a Catalogue of the resultant list in a suitable format.
You can add Create Catalogue to a toolbar or menu if you can't remember where it's hidden.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-23-2022 at 11:49 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can export the results of text search by:
  • Using the 'Mark' books feature of Text search
    You don't have to wait while it displays the snippets in the results list, as soon as it starts doing that, select Mark books->Mark all matched books in the library and then Close
  • Then search book list for 'marked:true'
  • Then create a Catalogue of the resultant list in a suitable format.
You can add Create Catalogue to a toolbar or menu if you can't remember where it's hidden.

BR
Hmm, that looks like a nice approach, although I couldn't find something like a "results snippets" section to include in the catalog... Thanks!
Old 08-12-2022, 01:22 AM   #8
Comfy.n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
At some point I will be adding support for FTS to the calibredb command at which time you can use it to export the search.
Woo-hoo, that works!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fts calibredb MWSnap0600 2022-08-12, 02_18_52.png
Views:	58
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	195810  

Tags
fts