Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-16-2015, 07:27 AM   #1
Viktor87
Viktor87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Manga conversion margins-please help!

I am trying to convert a manga into an e-reader format on my Kindle. Made a zip file with jpegs, import into Calibre, convert to Mobi or AZW3. I get significant margins around the images, they are smaller than they could be on my device, makes the text hard to read. I tried everything I know- played around with output device settings (set it to higher resolution), tried overriding resolution and putting in a custom value, tried clicking "ignore margins" on Mobi output- nothing works! In another converter- Kindle Comics Converter - this problem doesn't exist, it automatically fits the image to screen- but the quality is worse than Calibre (its a problem because I read in Japanese and small quality fluctuations make a big difference in being able to read characters), so I would like to use Calibre's conversions.
I played around with this for hours and cannot find a solution, please help!
Viktor87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no way to do it short of loading custom firmware on your Kindle. The margins are hardcoded in the Kindle. Kindle comic converter generates fixed layout files, which calibre does not support.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can convert it to PDF instead, I dont recall if the PDF renderer on the Kindle has forced margins or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
Viktor87
Viktor87 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I see... thank you for the explanation.
Viktor87 is offline   Reply With Quote