Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-28-2024, 01:33 AM   #1
sricochet
sricochet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Kindle Dictionary alternative to default font?

Hello everyone!

I'm making a Kindle dictionary from scratch from a scanned pdf, and the dictionary has special characters that I can represent with diacritic marks. However those diacritic marks appear differently with different fonts.

I have tried to change the font in the xhtml file that pyglossary produces with

<body style="font-family:"Linux Libertine O">

but the scribe does not recognize the dictionary.

I have tried to change the font in a csv file and use penelope to make the MOBI dictionary, but it also is not recognized.

it seems as if there is only one font that is recognized as a legitimate font for the Kindle dictionary (is this true?), and that font doesn't really render diacritic marks very well.

is how Tahoma renders it.

however if I could find out which font the Kindle uses for the dictionary, perhaps I could figure out how manipulate the font so that the small circle is centered on the tilda?

Perhaps someone has more information on this issue? I'm sure that there are others that have experienced this frustration with other diacritics.
sricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2024, 02:40 AM   #2
sricochet
sricochet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Scribe
If you don't mind I'll answer my own question.

Either the new Scribe update corrected the issue, or using UTF-16 encoding solved the issue. The "Combining Ring Above" [U+030A] is indeed above the tilda in the new upload of the dictionary.

Problem solved!

Thank you for your attention.

Many good reading wishes!
sricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert