Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #1
Denodan1
Connoisseur
Denodan1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Kobo disappointing Battery life

What a disappointing battery life Kobo has compared to Kindle. I read a lot on my Kobo Clara and maybe get 4 or 5 days before I need to charge. Far less than my Kindle paperwhite 11th 6.8"
Denodan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The 11th gen PW apparently has exceptional battery life, no other device comes close. If that bothers you, stick to the PW.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 12:31 AM   #3
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Or get Kobo Clara BW - it also has MediaTek processor, as PW5.

Not sure about Colour devices though (which have MediaTek too) due to their color pixels overhead.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:18 AM   #4
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What overhead? Kaleido is just a passive filter on top of the B&W screen.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:56 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post

Not sure about Colour devices though (which have MediaTek too) due to their color pixels overhead.
And the need to really up the light even when you normally would not due to the color overlay making the screen much darker.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:24 AM   #6
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
I have a question - I wonder if anyone can help me- I’ve been interested in getting a Sage but have heard of a pretty average battery life.

I keep my Libra Colour at about brightness 70% (!) to compensate for the dark screen. When I was using B+W readers I’d keep brightness up to about 15%.

With these conditions, and wifi off, do you think the battery life of both devices would be comparable? My LC lasts about a day before I have to recharge…. What do you think?
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:15 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I would think the Sage lasts a day with the light at 15% and wifi off, but it depends on how many hours you spend reading. If 8-10, then maybe not.

My Sage at 9% lasts for a few days, but then I don't read 8 hours a day, as some folks here do.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:33 AM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My KOBOs have a better battery life than kidle.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:34 AM   #9
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I have a question - I wonder if anyone can help me- I’ve been interested in getting a Sage but have heard of a pretty average battery life.

I keep my Libra Colour at about brightness 70% (!) to compensate for the dark screen. When I was using B+W readers I’d keep brightness up to about 15%.

With these conditions, and wifi off, do you think the battery life of both devices would be comparable? My LC lasts about a day before I have to recharge…. What do you think?

My sage battery life is good considering it has a bigger screen than most
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:17 AM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The Libra Colour battery is quite a bit larger than the Sage battery, 2050mAH compared to the 1200mAH battery. The LC has a MediaTek chipset which has pretty decent power management, the Sage has an Allwinner chipset which have become known for poor power management. OTOH, both devices have a USB-C port and charge faster than Kobo's older USB micro-B port using devices.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:10 PM   #11
PHughes
Enthusiast
PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PHughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300 PRS-350 Kobo H2O Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denodan1 View Post
What a disappointing battery life Kobo has compared to Kindle. I read a lot on my Kobo Clara and maybe get 4 or 5 days before I need to charge. Far less than my Kindle paperwhite 11th 6.8"
Which Clara do you have? I had the Clara HD and continually had battery calibration issues with it. It had poor battery life compared to my previous Kobo H2O. I did occasionally get the battery meter calibrated by letting it run down, then charging for 24 hours, but it was still flakey at times.

It finally died altogether, and I opened it up thinking I'd put in a new SD card and new image to restore it, but decided instead to buy a new Kobo BW. Glad I did, the battery life is what I was used to with my older Kobos. I got a little over four weeks out of the first charge, and many books were read. I'm currently at 62% battery and have been using it for 2 1/2 weeks on this charge.

The Clara HD was a constant annoyance for me regarding the battery issues it had.
PHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:19 PM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post

I'm nof that convinced that Mediatek procesor will be enough, since Kobos with the same FreeScale / NXP i.MX6 SoloLite had worse battery life than Kindles with same SoC and same size & generation eInk panel.

As I mentioned in similar topic Kobo Libra 2's battery life is horribly bad when compared to Kindle PW5 / 11th gen Paperwhite.
Like 3 to 4 times less text read per single battery charge

Although I would sure like to read about someone's experience with Clara BW from someone who has an older generation Kobo to compare it to.

If that model's battery life doesn't suck then maaaaybe there is point in hoping for a hypothetical Libra BW in the future and for that model to have ok battery life thanks to Mediatek SoC and newer motherboard / newer "Kobo mark" hardware generation.

shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote