Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
kchat
kchat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Paperwhite (5th versus 7th generation)

Hi friends,

I have a Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), purchased in 2014.

Now I see the 7th generation has come out,

I wanted to know if this is anyways better than the 5th one - to be worth upgrading to.

Grateful for inputs...

Regards,
Kaushik
kchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchat View Post
Hi friends,

I wanted to know if this is anyways better than the 5th one - to be worth upgrading to.

Grateful for inputs...

Regards,
Kaushik
It is a technical improvement, it can run the current firmware with support for the expected feature set.

But "better" is a personal subjective.
Only you can decide if it is "better" enough to "be worth upgrading".
Amazon does still offer the "30 days, no questions asked" return policy.

I think that the PW3 (which is how we identify the model here) is the best "value for the price" Kindle.
I must not be alone, Amazon claims it is the most popular model Kindle they have ever made.
The download counts, where available on model specific items, agree with their claim.

But "better" ? Only you can decide that question for yourself.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Hi friends,

Grateful for inputs...

Regards,
Kaushik
That was more than two years ago. You just now noticed?

You're looking at a higher resolution screen. It is in the area of diminishing returns. But it does look sharper. The negative to that though is the font is thinner and harder to read.

If you have been holding off looking for a significant improvement, you will be disappointed. There has not been a significant change in tech or innovation in years.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
That was more than two years ago. You just now noticed?

You're looking at a higher resolution screen. It is in the area of diminishing returns. But it does look sharper. The negative to that though is the font is thinner and harder to read.

If you have been holding off looking for a significant improvement, you will be disappointed. There has not been a significant change in tech or innovation in years.
Actually, there has been.
But the non-technical user might not notice it (nor the owner of only one of the models).

The most recent firmware for the PW1 is 5.6.x the most recent for the PW2 & PW3 is 5.8.x - which is a lot of difference in the feature set and operations.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #5
kchat
kchat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks guys. Doesn't seem worth the investment.

Hope Amazon comes out with an 8 inch reader sometime, then will upgrade
kchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Thanks guys. Doesn't seem worth the investment.

Hope Amazon comes out with an 8 inch reader sometime, then will upgrade
They already did, a long time ago.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #7
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post

Amazon has never released an 8" Kindle.
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:37 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Technically they have. The Kindle Fire 8. It has a built-in ereader.
Or did you mean specifically an e-ink reader?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #9
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Technically they have. The Kindle Fire 8. It has a built-in ereader.
Or did you mean specifically an e-ink reader?
Yeah, I thought we were talking e-ink. But wasn't that Kindle Fire model 8.9"?
Old 08-30-2017, 05:11 PM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
They released an 8" Fire in 2016. The 8.9" model is from 2012.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
Also if you use any active content, games and etc., on your Paperwhite they are not available for the 6th and 7th generation Paperwhite models.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I am talking about e-ink.

The screen of both the DX and DXG (I have both sitting in front of me) measures 8 inches, top edge of screen to bottom edge of screen and 9.5 inches on the diagonal.

That seems to certainly cover the statement: "an 8 inch reader".
(and it is e-ink and it has "AmazonKindle" on the top bezel)

Trivia:
Using the diagonal measurement of a rectangular screen dates from the days when you could get any shape of TV screen, as long as it was round (and only the bezel opening was rectangular).
And also, a large screen TV was one with a 12 inch (diameter) screen using a 12 inch (diagonal) bezel.
(see, it did make sense at one time, before they began building rectangular faced TV screens)
Old 08-30-2017, 06:37 PM   #13
vrf
Addict

Quote:
I am talking about e-ink.

The screen of both the DX and DXG (I have both sitting in front of me) measures 8 inches, top edge of screen to bottom edge of screen and 9.5 inches on the diagonal.

That seems to certainly cover the statement: "an 8 inch reader".
(and it is e-ink and it has "AmazonKindle" on the top bezel)
OK, I didn't realize you had given yourself the liberty to invent new ways of measuring these devices. I'll look forward to your consistency with the new system. But I still want a larger display. All these 4.75" models are getting tiring for my aging eyes.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:38 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I cannot see Amazon ever coming out with an 8" Kindle.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 12:39 PM   #15
vrf
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot see Amazon ever coming out with an 8" Kindle.
I'm guessing 6.8".