Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-23-2024, 05:38 AM   #1
DeepDew
DeepDew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Dewey Decimal Classification

I am new to this community/Clibre - wondering is it a good idea to have space to put Dewey Decimal Classification number for the books so as to bunch books of same category? Thank you all.
DeepDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 06:09 AM   #2
bluepeter
Zealot
bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bluepeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Clara BW, Mini, Libra H2O, Paperwhite (10G), Boox Poke 5
I might be mistaken, but I don't believe that the Dewey classification is held in a book's metadata as standard. Assuming that I'm right:
(a) you'd need to add it yourself; but
(b) this would be a simple matter. If I wanted it, I'd do it by creating a new column in Calibre (Preferences/Add your own columns) and putting the Dewey number in that. There might be other ways of handling it.

Once that column exists, sorting it numerically is a trivial matter.

(The merits, or otherwise, of the Dewey system are an entirely separate issue.)
bluepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2024, 06:13 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
@DeepDew - please don't add unrelated issues to existing threads, better to create a new thread which makes it easier to discover.

If you do a search for threads with "Dewey" you should find some discussions.

Have a look at the Library Codes-SRU plugin ==>> Index of plugins

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:56 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDew View Post
I am new to this community/Clibre - wondering is it a good idea to have space to put Dewey Decimal Classification number for the books so as to bunch books of same category? Thank you all.
Given that 90%+ of the books in my elibrary would be 813.5 or 813.6 (American/Canadian fiction 20th century/21st century) and most of the rest would be 641.5 (Cooking) and there is no source for downloading the DDC for an publication. Heck even getting the Library of Congress or the UDC (Universal Decimal Classification) numbers is a total pain. This is why most libraries use professional cataloguers for that task.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote