Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-16-2024, 04:48 AM   #1
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Some new tools

Hi,

I've written a couple of command-line tools in rust that might be interesting. See pbtools for the source code. They are meant to run on your desktop, not your PocketBook.

The first rpbres is yet another implementation of the old pbres tools from various people. It is incomplete at the moment, but already a little more useful than other implementations because it tries to output the format of each resource.

The second res2image is kind of interesting. It can convert any 8pp bitmap resource into a BMP/PNG/TIFF file. This is pretty helpful, because it means you can see what various non-obvious named resources actually contain. I've used this to add BMP files into the e-reader's system/resources/Line subdirectory and add bits of colour into my UI!

Creating good BMP files that PocketBook likes is difficult. This page is a helpful start if you have Windows: http://cyfranek.booklikes.com/post/5...kow-pocketbook but I'm using ImageMagick command-line tools instead to convert my efforts. This is what worked for me:

$ convert -type Palette -compress None -colors 256 library.png desktop_app_library.bmp

Creating icons that look good will need some practice, as the Kaleido 3 panel can make them look quite washed out. Bold colours will probably work better.

If you're new to rust you'll need to use rustup to install the rust tools, and then just running cargo build from your clone of the pbtools git repo will get you the two tools.
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:43 AM   #2
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've uploaded some binaries for Macs, Linux and Windows. I cross-compiled the last two platforms so have not tested them.

https://github.com/chrisridd/pbtools/releases
Advert
Old 06-17-2024, 07:20 AM   #3
chrisridd
Guru

I traced the existing PB icons and just filled things in maximum red/green/blue (and a grey in the Apps icon) just for fun.

IMO it is definitely looking a bit nicer than the boring black/white icons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7190.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	208943
Old 06-21-2024, 05:01 PM   #4
orontee
Connoisseur
orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.orontee invented the internet.

Device: Vivlio Touch HD Plus
Possible work on color icons

Nice work!

Not directly related but, in case you want to experiment with color icons, you may give a try to this issue of Taranis: Improve look on color screen.
orontee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
github, themes