Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 4 Touch
Covers on Amazon Personal Documents

I have all my books stored in calibre in the Mobi format. I recently decided to start wirelessly delivering my books to my tablet or kindle by having calibre e-mail the mobi book to my amazon e-mail. I enabled the feature to automatically save all books sent to my amazon address to my personal documents in Amazon. The odd thing is the cover isn't showing up when it is saved to my personal documents. In the past when I did not save it to my personal documents but just had it sent straight to my device the covers showed up just fine.

All the books have covers that I downloaded through Calibre and most of them already had the cover on the first page of the mobi file. Am I missing something in getting the cover to show up properly in my personal documents?
abishur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
mail-to-kindle has that problem, I am not aware of any fix.

For me, sideloading over USB via calibre and getting the covers is worth waiting to get to the computer. You can keep a lot of books on your Kindle (especially if you, like me, have the Kindle Touch with 4GB memory) so you can keep everything you anticipate reading for... well... a year or two, on it.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 08:14 PM   #3
abishur
Enthusiast
abishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolateabishur is generous with chocolate

Darn, I was really hoping I was doing something wrong! Is there a way to upload it to Amazon instead of e-mailing it that would preserve the covers?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Publish it.

I don't think so, sorry.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kindles: Touch, PW1, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishur View Post
Darn, I was really hoping I was doing something wrong! Is there a way to upload it to Amazon instead of e-mailing it that would preserve the covers?
Try this:

1) convert one book using kindlegen
2) then send it using your email client directly

Give us feedback, whatever the result.

Thanks.
zamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
abishur
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamana View Post
Try this:

1) convert one book using kindlegen
2) then send it using your email client directly

Give us feedback, whatever the result.

Thanks.
When you say send it to the e-mail client directly, are you talking about my Amazon email address?
Old 02-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
zamana
Zealot
zamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfoldedzamana reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
When you say send it to the e-mail client directly, are you talking about my Amazon email address?
I'm sorry. English is not my native language.

Yes, send it to your Amazon email address, but not trough Calibre: use your client email software. If you are a Google user, use Gmail, for example.

Regards.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I always re convert a mobi to a mobi within Calibre and then all my covers show up in Personal Documents. That's all I do.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
I forgot to say I use the Send to Kindle software which does use my own email address. I don't send through Calibre.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #10
abishur
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm sorry. English is not my native language.
No need to apologize, I never would have known if you hadn't told me!

When I used the kindlegen program I noticed the following warning:

Code:
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML.
 Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content.
  URL: C:\Users\M3357~1.BEN\AppData\Local\Temp\mbp_7DE_2_19_9_33_3B_3C_1B74_117C
_1\titlepage.xhtml
Info(prcgen):I1002: Parsing files  0000030
Info(prcgen):I1015: Building PRC file
Info(prcgen):I1006: Resolving hyperlinks
Info(prcgen):I1008: Resolving start reading location
Info(prcgen):I1049: Building table of content     URL: C:\Users\M3357~1.BEN\AppD
ata\Local\Temp\mbp_7DE_2_19_9_33_3B_3C_1B74_117C_1\toc.ncx
Warning(prcgen):W14019: Cover is too small :   C:\Users\M3357~1.BEN\AppData\Loca
l\Temp\mbp_7DE_2_19_9_33_3B_3C_1B74_117C_1\cover.jpeg
Old 02-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #11
abishur
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I always re convert a mobi to a mobi within Calibre and then all my covers show up in Personal Documents. That's all I do.
Tried this and used the send to kindle program, the cover still isn't showing up, but I'm suspecting now that it has something to do with that error message I was getting using kindlegen about the cover being too small.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12
abishur
Enthusiast

I should note that once I download the book to my kindle it does properly show the cover using the 5.3.7 firmware. It does not show the cover if I'm using the kindle app on Android though interestingly enough.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
zamana
Zealot

Quote:
No need to apologize, I never would have known if you hadn't told me!
Thank you. You're very kind.

Quote:
When I used the kindlegen program I noticed the following warning:

Code:
Info(prcgen):I1052: Kindle support cover images but does not support cover HTML.
 Hence using the cover image specified and suppressing cover HTML in content.
(...)l\Temp\mbp_7DE_2_19_9_33_3B_3C_1B74_117C_1\cover.jpeg

Hummm, interesting. Maybe the problem is not in the conversion process, but in the contents of the book itself.

Maybe editing the book and changing how the cover is set up could solve the problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
zamana
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Would be nice if you could share your mobi conversion parameters with us.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
abishur
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you. You're very kind.

Hummm, interesting. Maybe the problem is not in the conversion process, but in the contents of the book itself.

Maybe editing the book and changing how the cover is set up could solve the problem.

Can I edit it with Calibre or what software would I use to edit it?