Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
trackmom
trackmom began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Canadian looking for information

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Sony PRS-300 reader and am looking to upgrade. I am tossing between the Kindle and Nook.... And I have to make my decision quick, as my parents are going to the states this week... So they can pick up what I decide on down there.....

But due to the fact that I am Canadian, B&N doesn't sell their books to anyone with a Canadian address.

How do other book lovers that have the NOOK get their books for their e-reader?

Also, is there a disadvantage to having lesser files that the reader will read??? As the Nook only reads 3 different files where as the Kindle reads 7 or there abouts.

Thanks for all your help.
trackmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
trackmom

Oh, and another quick question...

If I were to get the Nook, can it be registered up here in Canada.

Thanks so much...
Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
1) Canadians can shop at B&N provided they put in a US billing/shipping address (not necessarily one they reside at) in the account info.

2) The Kindle actually only reads 5 formats (Mobi, Topaz, PDF, plain text, and HTML if you rename the extension to .txt) on the device itself. For people who have a hardware Kindle, Amazon does offer an auto-conversion service.

The Nook may seem to read fewer formats out of the box (I have a Kindle myself, so someone else will have to tell you if you can load TXT files on without converting), but the Nook currently accepts the widest range of DRM copy-restricted formats which are available for sale, including the increasingly common ePub.

So you'll be able to buy books from B&N, Sony, Kobo, plenty of other stores, as well as use library e-books, if they're offered in your area.

Please be aware that due to incompatible file formats, any copy-restricted Sony books you already have will be unreadable on the Kindle unless you break the DRM and convert them. This is not yet illegal in Canada, and if you'd like it to stay away, you might like to contact your MP to tell them to oppose the proposed Bill C-32.

Nook accepts Sony's ADE-DRM style books without any further tweaking beyond registering it to your existing Adobe Digital Editions account.

3) Someone just posted in the Nook forum that they've had success registering theirs and the newest user manual now says that the Nook can be officially used in Canada.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #4
trackmom

Hi ATDrake,

Thank you so much for the information!! I really appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #5
glazwegian
glazwegian is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color, Sony PRS-350(silver)
I'm just curious trackmom, why you're not considering one of the new Sony's(350, 650, 950) as your upgrade. Is there something(s) you really don't like about your Sony 300?

The reason I ask is because I'm looking for an eReader myself. My wife has a Nook w/wi-fi & 3G that I have used extensively. However, for myself, I'm considering a Sony PRS-650, or possibly a Nook Color. I've played with both the Sony 350 & 650 in stores and love the responsive touch screen and pearl E-ink. The comparable 650 is also significantly smaller, thinner and lighter than the Nook Classic. The note taking capability and double tapping on a word to pull up the dictionary are great features as well. Another feature that's important to me(but not most people I suspect) are the built in foreign language translation dictionaries. I like to read the occasional French language book and having almost real-time access to a translation dictionary would, I think, make my reading of French language books a much more pleasurable experience. All these features I find superior to(or they don't exist on) the Nook, but perhaps I'm missing something that just doesn't show up by playing with a reader for a few minues in a store.

One obvious "feature" the Nook has, that the Sony does not, is wi-fi or 3G. However, I don't want wi-fi. Frankly, with the large internal memory of the new Sony's and the expandable memory on the 650 and 950, I can't imagine ever needing wi-fi.....especially since I usually get all my eBooks from the public library. All library eBooks have to be side loaded from a computer onto the eReader anyway, regardless of brand.

I also want to control if and when I "upgrade" my readers operating system. With the Nook wi-fi or wi-fi & 3G, B&N decides for you. And, theoretically at least, B&N could decide to remove books you have bought from them, from your reader, without your permission(this has apparently happened to a book on the Kindle). These are a couple of reasons(among several) I'm shying away from the Nook Color.

As you may, or may not, know, many Nook Color owners have been rooting their Nook. They have done this, mostly, to have access to apps or features that B&N haven't allowed on the Nook Color. Well, B&N recently "upgraded" the Nook Colors operating system to try and prevent rooting. This "upgrade" happened automatically, when you turned on wi-fi on your Nook. You had no notification or choice in the matter. Now, believe me, I understand that many, maybe even most, people believe B&N has every right to try and prevent rooting of their product. On the other hand, many others think they have every right to try and "improve" a product, they have bought and paid for, as they see fit. It will be interesting to see where all this leads, as far as development of the Nook Color is concerned. Actually, I think increased competition from tablet manufacturers will be the biggest influence in determining how the Nook Color evolves, or even survives.
glazwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #6
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I have registered 3 Nooks here in Canada with no problems.

I buy books mostly from B&N and Kobo. I also get digital books from my library. If you are interested in library books, I would suggest a Nook or Sony for ease of use.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
trackmom

Hi glazwegian, don't get me wrong, I love my Sony reader, as I told my mother, it was the best give that I could get.. But the 300 is pretty bare bones.... I have looked at the new Sony's and if the 650 has Wi-Fi I would go with it. And the 950 is so out of my price range at the current moment.

Originally I was all excited to get my hands on the Nook color, but after investigating more into it for me (who reads all the time), the low battery life would be a big deal breaker. I can read upwards of 4 books on my 300 before I have to charge it...

So my choices then are the Kindle or the Nook... I don't necessary like the fact that the Kindle doesn't read epub, when alot of the books that I have in my library are epub... And my biggest concern was the "No canadian acess issue" with the Nook..

I am still kind of on the fence, but leaning more towards the Nook.... But am still up for any information or insight anyone can give. Still have a day or two before my mom heads down to the states...

Thanks for you input !!

Care,

That is great to know... Did you register over a computer or the Wi-Fi on the Nook?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
A little while ago another Canadian was deciding between Kindle and Nook, and here's the thread for the advice s/he got, given their criteria for being able to shop for books not normally available to Canada and library usage.

Hopefully it may help you some.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
trackmom

Thank you very much. There is so much information on this site, hard to find exactly what you are looking for... lol
Old 12-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #10
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackmom View Post
Care,

That is great to know... Did you register over a computer or the Wi-Fi on the Nook?
Oooooops, I lied. I only registered 2 in Canada, one was while I was still there. I registered them over wifi on the Nooks, I think that is the only way you can.

I seem to be having a problem buying books right now though through B&N. I never have before and it could be because I use a throw away credit card and it is empty. I was trying to buy free books though, so that shouldn't matter.

It is probably just me, but I wanted to let you know. I am going to post in the Nook forum and see if any other Canadians are having this problem.

Edit: Turns out it is the credit card. I just have to re-fill it or get another one (I don't like using my cards online).

Last edited by Care; 12-22-2010 at 10:21 AM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote