Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-2.3.0 Released

Sigil-2.3.0

Sigil version 2.3.0 represents a mix of bug fixes and new features. Sigil 2.3.0 also marks the first version to only support building with Qt6.

New Features in this release
  • removed support for building Sigil with Qt5 as our code had become a rats nest of qt version ifdefs. See our git branch "qt5final" for the very last buildable version of Sigil under Qt5
  • our new minium version to build Qt is Qt 6.4.0 or later
  • removed the need and usage for Qt6Compat5 as its contents were deprecated and will go away eventually
  • added support for using the ICU library to help replace the range of encodings supported by the old QTextCodec
  • we are now using NFC unicode normalization form for all content, links, urls, and file paths.
  • made Sigil's Well-Formed Check (Sanity Check) more robust to whitespace parsing rules and allowed it to detect and report missing XML Headers
  • we have upgraded to use Qt 6.7.2 and Python 3.11.9 for the base of our Windows and MacOS releases
  • added a Bookmark Location toolbar icon right beside the Back button for easier use
  • Opening EditTOC, SpeckcheckEditor or MetaDataEditor will now highlight the first line entry
  • Add new Tool: Rebase OPF Manifest IDs on Current Filenames
  • Update to 3rdparty PCRE2 version 10.44 for bug fixes
  • General code cleanup to remove unneeded hacks and workarounds for old Qt bugs now fixed

Bug Fixes
  • reverted all Qt Buttons and CheckBoxes to default TabFocus to speed up focus changes and reduce clicks
  • fixed SelectFiles (AddCover, Insert Image) to again use the arrows keys to walk the list
  • fixed some lost or stolen focus issues
  • fix overwriting of existing nav document and cover-image manifest properties
  • fix for Reports column sorting that use thousands group separators
  • fix for Reports file size column that did not properly use QLocale for decimal points and separators
  • fix crashing due to PCRE2 bugs in Qt 6.7.2 with their internal PCRE2

--------------------------------Notes -----------------------------------

The latest version of the Sigil User Guide can always be downloaded from the Sigil website, or from its own GitHub repository.

Please check the Sigil website for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

The MacOS builds are signed AND notarized.

PGP Fingerprint (for signed tags and source archives):
Code:
B5A5 6206 AB0F BC1A 24EF AB8A A166 D29A 8FCD AC63
All Sigil binary (and source) downloads can also be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil-2.3.0 Github Release page.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post reserved for future use.
Advert
Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Mac OS users - especially people using the newest or Beta macOS versions, please try launching this version of Sigil and PageEdit with just a normal double-click instead of the "ctrl-click twice on open" approach that was needed before. Both Sigil and PageEdit should now launch with no warnings.

If not, please let me know. A screen capture of any warnings produced by macOS that you run into would help

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 11:35 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Hi Kevin — unfortunately I'm getting the same warning as previous releases.

I am on macOS Sonoma 14.6.1 installing Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz

Screenshot:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	26
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	210213
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, that stinks. My signing tested out fine and my notarization reported back as accepted. I stapled it to the Sigil.app binary. Testing it on my own machine worked just fine.

So somehow making the tar.xz archive is messing things up. Sigil is huge. I can not distribute it on a dmg (even a compressed one).

Not sure how to deal with that.

Thanks for testing and reporting back.
Advert
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@odamizu and any other macOS user:

Would you please try one thing for me?

1. Download a fresh copy of Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz from our github Releases page.

2. Move it from your Downloads to your Desktop

3. now run Terminal.app and enter the following commands:

cd

cd Desktop

ls -a@l Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz

ls -a@l Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz

And copy the output of Terminal.app and post it to this thread.

4. Then double click on Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz to unpack it

5. Double click on the resulting Sigil.app

Did you still get that message?

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 06:31 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

When I remove the com.apple.quarantine attribute from the Sigil.app*.txz before unpacking it. And double-click on the resulting Sigil.app, I get no warning anymore.

But that may be only on my machine I used to build it.

I can not tell.
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It is so upsetting that the act of downloading an archive from Github results in macOS treating it somehow differently than having the app, even though I signed and notarized it properly!

Are they trying to force us to use the Mac App store???
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #9
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Does this help? Seems you may be using it but not sure.

Quote:
To preserve extended attributes, you need to use the `--xattrs` option with GNU `tar`
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Are they trying to force us to use the Mac App store???
There's no doubt in my mind that this is the case.

Out of curiosity: what size would a Sigil dmg be? Would it really be larger than Calibre's? It looks like the latest for it is a hair over 300Mb. That seems large to me (but I'm old) but users don't seem mind it.
Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Speaking of size... I'm going to drop the msvc2015+ redistributable (and the check to see if it is installed) from Sigil's Windows installer. Windows 10 ships with the msvc2015+ installer and our Sigil minimum is Windows 10 (1809). Not sure why I haven't chucked it sooner.

If this trend of Sigil's Windows Inno Setup installer triggering antivirus false positives continues, I may need to consider changing to a Wix-generated MSI installer on Windows. That would be a big learning curve and a considerable overhaul.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Yesterday at 06:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
Does this help? Seems you may be using it but not sure.
I am using Apple's tar which handles extended attributes.

In all my testing if I use any Browser to download from github the "com.apple.quarantine" attribute is added to the what was downloaded. Unfortunately this attribute is then passed to the underlying Sigil.app when you unpack it. And then the damn notarization is totally ignored.

So in order to prevent that noxious warning message, I need to do one of two things:

A. download with any browser and then delete the resulting "com.apple.quarantine" attribute before unpacking it:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Sigil.app-2.3.0-Mac-arm64.txz

OR

B. Use curl to do the download for me and allow github to do the needed relocations:

curl -L -o Sigil.app.txz https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...-Mac-arm64.txz

Using curl just moves the file from github to my machine and does not add any com.apple.quarantine extended attribute

Then I can just double-click on Sigil.app.txz to unpack it and then launch the resulting Sigil.app with no warning then generated.

---

So will some mac user please verify if one or both of these approaches work on their machine as I can not tell if they work only on the machine that built them or will work on any Mac. I am hoping for the latter case.

Last edited by KevinH; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's no doubt in my mind that this is the case.

Out of curiosity: what size would a Sigil dmg be? Would it really be larger than Calibre's? It looks like the latest for it is a hair over 300Mb. That seems large to me (but I'm old) but users don't seem mind it.
The .txz is about 120meg for Sigil. When unpacked the resulting Sigil.app is now 509,302,507 bytes (519meg on disk).

If I try to create a level 9 compressed dmg with the following commands:

hdiutil create ~/Desktop/test.dmg -ov -volname "Sigil" -fs HFS+ -srcfolder ~/Desktop/Sigil.app

hdiutil convert ~/Desktop/test.dmg -format UDZO -imagekey zlib-level=9 -o Sigil.dmg

The resulting Sigil.dmg is about 200meg (198180814).

I have no idea if a dmg being unpacked will transfer any com.apple.quarantine attributes to the payload or not when mounted.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

So using a highly compressed read only dmg increased the download size by about 80 meg. (120 vs 200).

So I will build and upload my compressed test dmg to my github repo and test if downloading it in that form will work.
Old Yesterday, 07:06 PM   #15
retiredbiker
Evangelist
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Good News -- Linux

Just fyi, both Sigil and PageEdit 2.3.0 compiled with no issues on my Linux box, and work just fine!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote