Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 04:24 AM   #1
uppon2
Connoisseur
uppon2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG & iRiver Story (Original)
Sony PRS-650 worth buying at this price?

Before I start, I will mention that I am interested in buying either the h20 or the Inkpad as my dedicated reader.

I was at my local second hand shop and I came across a Sony PRS-650. I have never seen one of these but I had a play with it, and wow, it is way nicer to use than my iRiver Story (original). I like the hardware buttons and the touchscreen.

Anyway, the guy at the shop said it comes with a case and charger and 2 GB SD card and he wanted $30 AUD ($25 USD) - I decided to put it on hold until tomorrow. I am wondering if after I get my dedicated reader, if there is any real point in owning this device at this price. I am assuming it is a good deal
uppon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:42 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Well you won't really have much need for it once you get your H2O or Inkpad, except perhaps as a back-up reader, or perhaps you might be someone who will use their dedicated ereader at home, but use their less expensive ereader as a portable device?

The PRS-650 might be quite a few years old now, but it was an excellent device in its day, and for such a low price, why not.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The battery will be the issue.

It might not hold a charge.

ADDED: Once you get a current state-of-the-art ebook reader, I predict the Sony 650 will be history - which is exactly what it is at this point in time.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can get a new battery for the 650. But that will add to the cost.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I love my 650...admittedly, it doesn't get much use any more now that I have a Kindle PW2 and a Kobo Aura H2o, but that price, with a case for I'd probably snatch it up anyway
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I love my 650...admittedly, it doesn't get much use any more now that I have a Kindle PW2 and a Kobo Aura H2o, but that price, with a case for I'd probably snatch it up anyway
My 650 has sat unused for a good while. I've been using a T1 and now the H2O. The 650 is actually heavier then the H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppon2 View Post
Anyway, the guy at the shop said it comes with a case and charger and 2 GB SD card and he wanted $30 AUD ($25 USD) - I decided to put it on hold until tomorrow. I am wondering if after I get my dedicated reader, if there is any real point in owning this device at this price. I am assuming it is a good deal
Sounds like a good deal to me. PRS-650s seem to retain their value well.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #8
uppon2
Connoisseur

I think I want a secondary reader for university. I have the option to get the Kindle DX for $40 or the Sony for $30. I guess I want to be able to add notes, check dictionary, bookmark, etc. I was wondering if the touchscreen of the Sony beats the large display of the DX.

Has anybody used these devices for study purposes?
Old 01-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I want a secondary reader for university. I have the option to get the Kindle DX for $40 or the Sony for $30. I guess I want to be able to add notes, check dictionary, bookmark, etc. I was wondering if the touchscreen of the Sony beats the large display of the DX.

Has anybody used these devices for study purposes?

There were two Kindle DX readers:

1) Kindle DX
2) Kindle DX-G [Graphite]

Both are out-dated, but very utilitarian units for reading (most, not all) PDFs and for those who (like me) often enjoy reading novels with larger screens.

The second Kindle DX-G screen is much more preferable than the 'older' model DX, due to improved screen contrast.

In my opinion, the Kindle DX-G is ideal for use in and around the house. I would NEVER take it out with me somewhere.

If you are certain that the model for sale is NOT the more desirable 'G' model, then it's mainly your call on how you read, on whether or not it's worth $40 to you.

Pay particular attention - before you buy one - to the life that is left in the battery.

These are old units.

ADDED:
Often, when individuals talk about ebook readers, passions begin to fly. Pay specific attention to how people come across on these posts.
Are they fanatical?
Do they have a bias?
Are they angry because they destroyed a screen due to carelessness?
I would add that you should also ask those same questions when examining my posts.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-04-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #10
uppon2
Connoisseur

I ended up getting the DX and it's the darker coloured one (I'm guessing that's the graphite). I'm going to look around for hacks now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There were two Kindle DX readers:

1) Kindle DX
2) Kindle DX-G [Graphite]

Both are out-dated, but very utilitarian units for reading (most, not all) PDFs and for those who (like me) often enjoy reading novels with larger screens.

The second Kindle DX-G screen is much more preferable than the 'older' model DX, due to improved screen contrast.

In my opinion, the Kindle DX-G is ideal for use in and around the house. I would NEVER take it out with me somewhere.

If you are certain that the model for sale is NOT the more desirable 'G' model, then it's mainly your call on how you read, on whether or not it's worth $40 to you.

Pay particular attention - before you buy one - to the life that is left in the battery.

These are old units.

ADDED:
Often, when individuals talk about ebook readers, passions begin to fly. Pay specific attention to how people come across on these posts.
Are they fanatical?
Do they have a bias?
Are they angry because they destroyed a screen due to carelessness?
I would add that you should also ask those same questions when examining my posts.
Thanks, mate. Luckily, it also came with the genuine Amazon leather case.

Last edited by uppon2; 01-04-2015 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I ended up getting the DX and it's the darker coloured one (I'm guessing that's the graphite). I'm going to look around for hacks now

If the color of the plastic is darker colored, then you now own a DX-G. (That 'G' is very important; don't leave it out.)

If it is cosmetically intact (re: beautiful condition), and fully functional, then you can easily sell it here or on ebay for approx. $100.

Watch the performance of that battery as you use it.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
uppon2
Connoisseur

Quote:
If the color of the plastic is darker colored, then you now own a DX-G. (That 'G' is very important; don't leave it out.)

If it is cosmetically intact (re: beautiful condition), and fully functional, then you can easily sell it here or on ebay for approx. $100.

Watch the performance of that battery as you use it.
I did not realise it sold for that much. The genuine Amazon leather case and the actual reader itself look brand new. So far I have used it for 3 hours and the battery has not dropped
Old 01-04-2015, 09:10 AM   #13
uppon2
Connoisseur

Here are some pictures. Sorry about the size.

[Images violate guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-04-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Be very careful with opening the case from the backside - it CAN happen, if you're not careful.

When opened wrongly (and with force), the plastic case can crack.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Be very careful with opening the case from the backside - it CAN happen, if you're not careful.

When opened wrongly (and with force), the plastic case can crack.
With my Kindle Keyboard (which had the same problem in the Amazon case) I used a bit of double-sided sticky tape to fix the back half of the case to the back of the Kindle, so that if opened the wrong way, the Kindle stays on the back half of the case.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote