Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #1
Fetzel
Fetzel began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wink Calibre portable exe

Hi there. I am relatively new to these forums and I hope I am at the right one.!

My question or rather said issue is the following. I have been using caliber portable because my pc's memory is overloaded...
I worked on my Calibre library downloading metadata two days in a row without any problems, but today I went to open it again but when I tried to open it on the Calibre portable file, the file calibre portable.exe was gone! After using it I am always careful to close it and afterwards eject the drive to protect the information.
Has anyone any idea how I can recover it?
This happened to me once before because of a mistake I made; my mouse is very unpredictable at times and without noticing it I dragged it and it was dropped "somewhere". The solution I did was reinstall by updating. Thus I recovered the exe file but the books were gone. I had a backup of the books themselves and "added" the books again, but all my metadata was gone. I started to download the metadata again, my library is extensive, and I was up to around 300 books, with a lot missing still, when today the exe file was gone again, for no known reason.
Can anybody help?
Calibre library is still there, complete, but I don't know how to
1.- recover the portable exe file, and
2.- how to integrate the library again to the exe function, without having to use it as an additional or secondary library.

I appreciate any help, since it has been very frustrating.
Fetzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I am assuming portable media.
Just install again on top.
The installer detects the folder structure and leaves it intact, just replacing program files.

BTW have you scanned that media for errors? Flash memory does die (with little warning). You might consider using a portable, pocket sized HD.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2017, 03:45 PM   #3
Fetzel

Calibre porable exe

Thank you , theducks, yes it is portable media, and I will try what you suggested. I think you are right though , that my USB drive might have problems. I appreciate your answer and will do as you suggested. Afterwards I will post here for the benefit of others that might have similar issues.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:15 PM   #4
Fetzel

Calibre portable exe

Update

I did as suggested and it worked fine, I recovered my library. I did check my USB drive for errors and it was ok, it is new an used exclusively for Calibre, but I accept your suggestion and I will get a portable HD.