Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #1
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Libra Color, Nxtpaper 11
Announced: reMarkable Paper Pro (color)

See here.

Sells for ~€650 + ~€50 for a better pen + ~€250 for an additional keyboard.
Oh, and shipping is free.

Last edited by DrChiper; Yesterday at 11:39 AM.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM   #2
Tiebird
Tiebird began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo libra colour
Saw a youtube video popping up and already ordered one. Gallery 3 based screen + 11.8" would make it very nice for reading comics.

No support for CBR or CBZ but we can convert that to pdf. I hope this device will gain traction for mods.
Tiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 12:59 PM   #3
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Nook Glowlight 4, Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
Not a single video shows what a page turn looks like, which was the Achilles heal of the Gallery3 screen: really long page turns (5+ seconds). I hope these new 2024 Gallery3 screens have solved that problem.

Hopefully we'll get some "hands on" videos soon. I'm surprised that they didn't some out to influencers early for a launch day hand-on review.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 PM   #4
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Just watched my first "hands-on" video and not a single attempt at a page turn?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xjYCmA4WY
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #5
dmalinovsky
Connoisseur
dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmalinovsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
Not a single video shows what a page turn looks like, which was the Achilles heal of the Gallery3 screen: really long page turns (5+ seconds). I hope these new 2024 Gallery3 screens have solved that problem.

Hopefully we'll get some "hands on" videos soon. I'm surprised that they didn't some out to influencers early for a launch day hand-on review.
You can check out My Deep Guide's review, he's usually very thorough: https://youtu.be/ZkEg8WLeW4Q?si=Jqa9jGfBToyshSN2
dmalinovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #6
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmalinovsky View Post
You can check out My Deep Guide's review, he's usually very thorough: https://youtu.be/ZkEg8WLeW4Q?si=Jqa9jGfBToyshSN2
Finally! Thank you!

You can see page turns starting here:

https://youtu.be/ZkEg8WLeW4Q?t=1630
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist

So, the page turns are significantly better than they were on the original Gallery3 devices from 2023.

And an 11.8" screen for $579 is actually a reasonable price for that screen size and a Gallery3 panel.

I'm tempted, but I'd really want CBR/CBZ support for reading comics. It would be nice if Onyx came out with a Boox device that used this screen. Then I could install a comic book reader from Google Play.

I really don't want an eNote. I want a large screen color eBook reader. I hope this is the beginning of wave of large screen Gallery3 devices.
Old Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's bonkers.

Gallery is only good for retail signage and failing there.

A TCL NxtPaper 11 is "paper-like" and about 1/2 the price. Comparable reading time to an eink ereader.

This is the last gasp of a niche company that's had one and a half products in their entire existence. I had a reMarkable. An awkward copy of a Sony DPT. No USB MTP or storage. It was a stupid design of PDF and notes, not an ereader.

$579 for something that's like treacle to use is really bad value.

The official page is high on hype and sparse on any details, like the company has always been.

Page turn time?
How does notetaking work? Regular eink is 10 times faster and can't do conversion preview.
Storage for user documents?
Metadata/search support. The eink reMarkable has little more than a file browser. Useless for a large library.

This probably is not an ereader and is likely poorer than reMarkable 2 for notes.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's bonkers.

A TCL NxtPaper 11 is "paper-like" and about 1/2 the price. Comparable reading time to an eink ereader.

This is the last gasp of a niche company that's had one and a half products in their entire existence. I had a reMarkable. An awkward copy of a Sony DPT. No USB MTP or storage. It was a stupid design of PDF and notes, not an ereader.

The official page is high on hype and sparse on any details, like the company has always been.

Page turn time?
How does notetaking work? Regular eink is 10 times faster and can't do conversion preview.
Metadata/search support. The eink reMarkable has little more than a file browser. Useless for a large library.

This probably is not an ereader and is likely poorer than reMarkable 2 for notes.
Well the site says it has 64 GB of internal storage and it is now front lit. So I think it will do OK for ereading.
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #10
ChrisHistorian76
Connoisseur
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
It's bonkers.

Page turn time?

As I'm sure you know, Remarkable devices have never been adequate ereaders. Remarkable is very upfront that this device, like the Remarable 2 (which is not going away, this device is not meant to completely replace the RM2, just to add to the product line) has a list of stuff it doesn't do that's longer than the list of things it can do. That's the point of their products. This device doesn't even have a clock display.

According to the TechRadar review of the Paper Pro, RM is upfront about the fact they reject about 95% of user suggestions for new features. Their latest major new feature, allowing users to edit documents using the RM app took years for them to decide to do.

The thing that makes this device a "no" for me is RM isn't using Wacom EMR tech for this device. They're using propritary technology for the Marker. Lose it, and (at least for now) you'll have to get a new Marker from RM.

https://www.techradar.com/tablets/re...per-pro-review
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:31 AM   #11
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's exciting that RM has finally found a way to make Gallery 3 usable. The page turns in Voja's sample footage look pretty good, although he'll have much better footage once his review sample arrives. It's a pity that RM is the first company to do this, since RM has embarassingly primitive software, but at least it may prove that there's a market for Gallery 4 so that the companies that know what they're doing can start releasing devices that aren't crippled by Kaleido.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:07 AM   #12
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Quote:
So, the page turns are significantly better than they were on the original Gallery3 devices from 2023.

And an 11.8" screen for $579 is actually a reasonable price for that screen size and a Gallery3 panel.

I'm tempted, but I'd really want CBR/CBZ support for reading comics. It would be nice if Onyx came out with a Boox device that used this screen. Then I could install a comic book reader from Google Play.

I really don't want an eNote. I want a large screen color eBook reader. I hope this is the beginning of wave of large screen Gallery3 devices.
I agree. But it's probably going to take at least 2 years or so for Boox to release anything with Gallery 3. Last time they were offered that tech they sent it back to E-ink since it wasn't up to their standards.

According to Voja the Remarkable works only because they've put in a lot of research and developed customized solutions to overcome the limitations of the technology. I doubt Boox is going to put in the same effort any time soon.

There are some rumours out there that Amazon will also release new readers utilizing Gallery 3. If that turns out to be true and those also work well, which I hope will be the case, then we can probably expect others to also invest in it.
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:28 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Just watched my first "hands-on" video and not a single attempt at a page turn?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3xjYCmA4WY

The only thing I'm interested in are those cinnamon rolls at 1:00 in.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:04 AM   #14
ChrisHistorian76
Connoisseur
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The only thing I'm interested in are those cinnamon rolls at 1:00 in.
You just had to mention those, didn't you? Now I want one and don't have any cinnnamon rolls (or doughnuts) in my apartment.
Old Today, 07:33 AM   #15
ChrisHistorian76
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
I agree. But it's probably going to take at least 2 years or so for Boox to release anything with Gallery 3. Last time they were offered that tech they sent it back to E-ink since it wasn't up to their standards.

According to Voja the Remarkable works only because they've put in a lot of research and developed customized solutions to overcome the limitations of the technology. I doubt Boox is going to put in the same effort any time soon.

There are some rumours out there that Amazon will also release new readers utilizing Gallery 3. If that turns out to be true and those also work well, which I hope will be the case, then we can probably expect others to also invest in it.
I agree that it might make sense for Amazon to release a new Kindle, I'm just not sure they're really planning to do it any time soon..The 5.16.21 firmware mentions a new device that's allegedly going to have a Mediatek processor. Based on what I've read, according to the firmware the device wouldn't be a new version of the Scribe. Reportedly, Amazon's got 90% of the ereader market in 2024. IMO they're far more focused on (still) trying to make Alexa actually be profitable (or at least not like pouring money down a rat hole.)