Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
At fictionwise.com what format to buy

I have searched for 5 books and not a one of them have lrf as a format. What format on that site should you buy for the prs505?
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Multiformat includes LRF as one of its options.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
FictionWise DRM-free multi-format ebooks are typically available in LRF format, but these are (by definition) not from publishers that require DRM.

The Sony PRS-505 and 700 also read Secure Adobe PDF and ePub ebooks (i.e. any ebook identified as Adobe). FictionWise does not have the best selection of Adobe ebooks (and no ePub at all). I suggest Books on Board instead, and buying Adobe ePub (over PDF, perhaps called Adobe Digital Editions) when it is available.

If you are willing to strip the DRM (although this is not thought to be legal in some places), then a popular approach is to buy Secure MS Reader (LIT), stripping the DRM using ConvertLIT (or ConvertLIT GUI) and then format shifting to ePub or LRF using Calibre.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I buy secure eReader and strip the DRM. I like eReader because I can read it on my iPod Touch too.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I have no clue how to strip anything and not sure I want to get into tweaking books. Just want to buy and read. Thanks for the responses. That helps.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I have no clue how to strip anything and not sure I want to get into tweaking books. Just want to buy and read. Thanks for the responses. That helps.
I'm the same way. I'm lazy so I just buy from the Sony ebookstore.

However, I'm pretty sure if you learn how to do this, you will be able to increase font sizes (I know you were having this issue). Can anyone confirm?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
I am more or less the same but dealing with Secure MS Reader (LIT) is very easy and it makes a copy of your ebook future proof.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
However, I'm pretty sure if you learn how to do this, you will be able to increase font sizes (I know you were having this issue). Can anyone confirm?
Yes, you can increase font size. In fact, I have set Calibre to automatically have a default size of 12-point. Usually that is sufficient, but if I need it a little bigger, then when I choose the zoom button on my 505, it zooms to larger than the 12 points.

As for buying books, I either buy from Sony or from Fictionwise. I will only buy from Fictionwise the multiformat books or Secure MS.

Converting Secure MS is real easy (I'm of the lazy group myself) with ConvertLit and Calibre.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you don't want to convert, stick to the multiformat offerings. Fwiw here are the ones I have read; this list gets updated every time I read a new one.

http://delicious.com/ficbot/Multiformat?setcount=100
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It seems like all of their more recent books are secure mobi/secure adobe/eReader. For our 505's, Adobe works fine for me without any hassle at all.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I "tried" to learn how to rip DRM and convert formats last weekend, and after spending an evening trying to download the proper programs, I gave up. Despite what people may say, I have no problem shopping on the Sony Website. I also bought some books from BooksOnBoard the other day. I read mostly romance and Contemporary Fiction (like what you'd find on the bestseller lists) anyway, so both sites have a good selection. And I haven't given up Paperbacks, so either way I'll find all the books I want.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
It seems like all of their more recent books are secure mobi/secure adobe/eReader. For our 505's, Adobe works fine for me without any hassle at all.
Actually FW hasn't added a Secure Adobe book to their site since January of '08.

For FW you're options are either MultiFormat books (most of which won't be from the big pubs) or buy something like MS Reader (LIT) and unDRM and convert using Calibre.

If you do want more recent titles in a non-Sony DRM format Books On Board will be a better choice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Unless you are an "enthusiast" who likes format converting major ebook titles I can't think of any reason why Sony readers would buy from Fictionwise apart from their small multi-format collection.
Normal readers are much better off buying from BooksOnBoard, Diesel ebooks or WHSmiths that actually support the Sony reader.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Unless you are an "enthusiast" who likes format converting major ebook titles I can't think of any reason why Sony readers would buy from Fictionwise apart from their small multi-format collection.
Normal readers are much better off buying from BooksOnBoard, Diesel ebooks or WHSmiths that actually support the Sony reader.
Because lit format is the easiest to get rid of DRM, thus protecting your money investment and calibre makes conversion almost as easy as drag&drop.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:21 AM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am more or less the same but dealing with Secure MS Reader (LIT) is very easy and it makes a copy of your ebook future proof.
Same here. Trivially easy to remove DRM from secure .lit files. In case of computer failure, etc, unDRM'd files would still work, even if you do forget the email and password you used to activate the reader (had this happen to me). .lit also seems to be a good format to convert from. All epubs converted from .lit look very nice indeed.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote