Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old Today, 06:51 AM   #1
alfie74
alfie74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T-2
Calibre-web not updating when metadata.db is modified

Hi, I am having an issue with my calibre-web installation. I found that other users have been experiencing the same issue in the past, but I couldn't find any satisfying solution.

My goal is to keep managing my Calibre library on my desktop PC with the Calibre desktop application. I also need to connect an old ebook reader with USB, so I need this instance of Calibre to run on my PC. However, I also want to have the possibility to always access my library via web, even when my PC is not on. So I installed calibre-web on Docker on my Synology NAS. I set up a synchronization job, so that changes to the library on the PC are automatically synchronized to the NAS. It is a one-way synchronization, I wanted to make sure that only the Calibre desktop application is making changes to the main library.

This setup is working well, but there is one issue. When I add a new book to Calibre desktop, the metadata.db file is correctly updated on the NAS. However, this change is not visible on Calibre Web, until I restart Calibre Web (with Administration --> Restart).

I saw that some users in other forums suggested that one should not let another application modify the database while Calibre Web is running. That may well be the case, but then what should I do if I want to manage the database with Calibre desktop and at the same time use Calibre Web to make the content available to mobile devices? My understanding is that letting Calibre and Calibre Web use the same database (i.e., exactly the same file, without using a synchronization job) is also not recommended...

Thank you!
alfie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:01 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Unfortunately I've lost the solution I used to use but it was along these lines.

This was to handle the changes to the calibre library that I did a one-way sync from my PC to my NAS.
  • Ensure calibre-web is configured to allow reconnect endpoint
    See https://github.com/janeczku/calibre-...Line-Interface
  • Have a script active on the NAS that used inotifywait to monitor for changes to metadata.db (this would be triggered on the sync from the PC to my NAS of the calibre library)
  • On change being detected use curl to issue a request to calibre-web your_libray_ip/reconnect to force the database to be reloaded
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre-web, docker, nas, sync failure, synology