Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
katya42
katya42 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Post Using Nook Internationally / Overseas

I wanted a Nook, but I live overseas. After extensive online research (including in these forums) I compiled the information I needed to buy one.

I was able to buy one (the SimpleTouch) and I have no problems working it and purchasing books here, but I did a lot of research and work first.

I wanted to share my discoveries with others so it may help them decide if Nook is the right reader for them. I hope it helps! Please ask me questions to clarify anything!

Background: I live and work in mainland China, but I am from the USA (and still have US bank accounts and an address). Those were crucial in getting my Nook to work fine here (I believe).

The Steps That Worked:
  1. I set up my B&N account, and got everything current (including credit card information) before buying my Nook. - Note on the account info: I have a real US credit card attached to a US address that I use for the B&N purchases. I believe this is crucial in it working overseas at the moment.
  2. I had someone I trust buy it for me in the USA (it also helped that they were coming to see me, so they set some things up for me - following my instructions - and then brought it over). It would have worked fine for me to buy it online and have it shipped to them (a colleague here just did that).
  3. I gave the person who bought it for me my B&N account information, and they opened, charged, and registered my Nook for me WHILE THEY WERE IN THE USA. - I believe this was part of it working, that it was turned on and linked to my account while it was physically in the USA, although I'd love to hear if someone first turned on and registered their's while overseas and got it to work OK.
  4. When it got here, I first tried making a purchase on my computer without using my VPN. I then transferred it to the Nook - no problems!
  5. Next, after getting my Nook connected to my wifi, I tried making a purchase
directly on my Nook - again, no problems!

A colleague of mine recently purchased a Nook. She is also an American. She followed similar steps (namely, getting friends to turn it on in the USA), and hers is fine too.

Some other notes:
I bought the SimpleTouch. I am a reader and want a simple way to read books, and only do that, while travelling. I want no backlights and just want it to hold many books so I save luggage space (at least on the way to wherever I'm going, as I still end up buying physical books while there!). All the features have worked fine here. There were a few things to get used to when I first used it, but I'm now hooked and love the size, shape and everything. I also made sure to buy a case that allows me to prop it up on a table while eating and still read. I have found that nice when just lounging and reading too.

My colleague bought the Nook Tablet. Most features (like getting magazines) seem to be working for her and she is also able to buy and download books directly, despite being in China. Some other features (like Hulu Plus or watching other videos or accessing other websites) are, so far, not working because of her being located overseas, which sites like Hulu recognize, and because of the Great Firewall of China, which blocks many websites. She is now trying to figure out if there is any way to get a VPN of some sort on it so she can take advantage of those features here, but she may just have to wait for her summers in the USA.

For people without US residences or banks: I do not think you'd be able to use Nook overseas at this time. I hope someone can prove me wrong though! I read enough accounts of people getting them, and not being able to make purchases or register it, that I would go for something else if I didn't have those connections with the US still.

I hope my experience helps someone!
katya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have set up a couple of Nook Simple Touch devices over here in Sweden with no problems at all.
I don't have a US credit card and I don't use a VPN so I can't buy any books fron B&N, but that doesn't worry me at all. There are enough other sources (I mailny read books from the library, both a US and a Swedish library).
I seriously doubt the physical location of the device matters when you set it up. When buying books it might. Although from your experience it seems that as long as you have a US credit card (not just a US address) the location of the device doesn't matter at all.

Last edited by Asawi; 03-23-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
You do NOT need a US credit Card .. I use my Australian one with no problem (you just need a US address, they don't check if it's real) I had no problem registering the Unit and no problem buying books using a VPN service,

All this has been covered in other threads
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Some comments to the post of Katya42:

1. B&N changed its policy last year. If your account is registered with an US credit card you can now buy ebooks anywhere in the world.
If you do not have an US credit card register your account with an US shipping and billing address. Any valid US address will do, just Google something. The billing address is not checked, so your non-US credit card will work fine.
Use your PC with an VPN like Hotspot Shield (free) or alwaysVPN ($8.50) to buy ebooks from the B&N website.
It is possible to use the NC or NT to buy ebooks/apps from B&N. Install the free Puffin browser app. This browser uses an US cloud, and within the browser you will have an US IP-address. So if you use this browser to go the B&N website you can buy ebooks/apps.

2. Another way is to use a free US mail forwarding address from Borderlinx or USunlocked. Register you account with this address and buy the Nook that way.

3. You can register your Nook anywhere in the world. There are no restrictions.

4. and 5. See policy change in 1.

For streaming Hulu and Netflix etc. on the NC/NT you need to look for a router that is compatible with the dd-wrt software. This software allows you to program a VPN in the router, so that all connected devices get an US IP-address.
On the StrongVPN website you find a lot of information about this. StrongVPN has the best reputation for having enough speed for streaming video. This is something I want to try myself in the future.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
Stensie4JC
Book Diva
Stensie4JC began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
You certainly can register the Nook from within China. I did what you did originally and had my dad in the US buy and register my Nook Color before shipping it to me in the US. He also rooted it for me. But recently I've had problems with it, and when it finally crashed I reset it to factory settings. I was able, through a regular wifi connection, to re-register my Nook. The only problem I've had is that, for some reason, China Unicom requires a password and login to get on our wifi every time. So, I can't use my home internet on my nook. I can, however, use it on other wifi connections.

I haven't tried buying books because I have a large collection already. I have a VPN (Express VPN) and I use it to ,make purchases all the time, so, as others have said, buying books is not a problem.
Stensie4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Will Express VPN accept a debit card?

Does anyone know if I'll be able to purchase apps for my NookColor after a VPN setup? (My understanding is "yes," but they'll have to be sideloaded onto NookColor from my computer.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 03-31-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Will Express VPN accept a debit card?

Does anyone know if I'll be able to purchase apps for my NookColor after a VPN setup? (My understanding is "yes," but they'll have to be sideloaded onto NookColor from my computer.)

Don
You can use a VPN to buy apps from the B&N website. Then sync your NC to download the apps. Just as with ebooks there are only restrictions when buying them, not when downloading to your NC.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
I found out yesterday that *all* you seem to need now to buy NOOKbooks is a credit card that has listed as it's billing address one in the United States. No VPNs, no needing-to-use a computer for purchasing books.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
firefox
MR Gen Z Representative
firefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enoughfirefox will become famous soon enough

Device: Barnes & Noble NOOKclassic
Actually, I retract my statement. I just purchased another (non-free) eBook, and it's come back saying "You've placed an order with an invalid credit card, so you cannot download at this time."
Then it cancelled my order shortly after. I'll do some more testing with a VPN and get back to you.
firefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #10
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
There are services like www.consegnato.com

(it's active in Italy but I'm sure there are similar services all around the world)

You buy the item, pay with Paypal, then indicate:

as phisical address the USA address of the service you've choosen to ship it to you /
as billing address: yours

Quite simple, tested with lots os products (not with B&N already).
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
Actually, I retract my statement. I just purchased another (non-free) eBook, and it's come back saying "You've placed an order with an invalid credit card, so you cannot download at this time."
Then it cancelled my order shortly after. I'll do some more testing with a VPN and get back to you.

That's exactly what has happened to me with my credit card (which I'm currently not using).

I would now like to use a debit card along with a VPN. I wonder if a debit card will actually work?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #12
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That's exactly what has happened to me with my credit card (which I'm currently not using).

I would now like to use a debit card along with a VPN. I wonder if a debit card will actually work?

Don
I use a bank-issued debit card with B&N and have no issues. I'm in the U.S. and it's possible that may make a difference. It shouldn't...
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
abjdiat
Enthusiast
abjdiat began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
well, based on my experience, at time of purchase you have to use VPN and US-billing address, once that done..you can download the purchased book with regular connection later ...
abjdiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
katya42
katya42 began at the beginning.

Cards

I kept seeing those mixed messages from different people on the non-US cards and/or addresses. It seems to be okay for some and not others.

Interesting book buying note (in China at least). Although I'm still able to buy books with no problem here, I have not been able to download some recent purchases directly to my Nook. I had to put them on my PC (while the VPN was on), then transfer them over. This may just be a China thing somehow though, as the books covered material deemed sensitive by politics here.

Thanks, all, for helping us all decide about these things!
katya42 is offline   Reply With Quote