Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #1
jackm8
Zealot
jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackm8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Opinions on Archive.org as free ebook source?

I'm finding that I'm relying more and more on them compared to other sources. Project Gutenberg, Standard Ebooks.... They don't go with reflowable text, they just offer scans of original books in as high quality as possible. They do offer epubs, in some cases, but they're often poorly formatted. There's flawed ocr, and no custom proofreading, then again, none of that is needed. Proofreading is often a must, and a problem on epubs. Corrupted pages, ink splats, or just ocr that misbehaved, all that can cause text errors that then drag across various commercial or free ebooks for years. In a scanned page, mistakes are plainly visible, so the reader can see and often deduce what the word that's corrupted was.

Then there's another benefit. Illustrations. You rarely see them even in commercial ebooks. And when they are available, they're often of low quality. On archive.org, you can choose from various editions, compare which looks the best and go with it.

There is size and availability concern, though. Some books can't be downloaded, and when they are files tend to be quite big. Massive compared to epubs. Likewise, pdfs can be of worse quality than processed jpegs, so I often download them instead and convert them into pdfs on my own.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 06-18-2024 at 12:05 PM.
jackm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 12:14 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I only read reflowable ebooks, PDF is out of the question for me. Too clumsy and uncomfortable even on a computer, let alone ereader. And I couldn't care less about illustrations. Give me pure text any day.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2024, 12:56 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I think of the (public domain) scans on archive.org as valuable raw material for ebook producers that can't or don't want to do the scanning themselves. (Just as Project Gutenberg can be a starting point for someone wanting to produce high quality formatting.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 01:27 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Archive Org is only good for PDF scans. You need to check they are really PD and do your own clean up / OCR / Proof. Their OCR is almost enough just for search.

You need a decent QHD screen, better than basic HD anyway, to read them.

Often the quality is poor.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:27 PM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I think of the (public domain) scans on archive.org as valuable raw material for ebook producers that can't or don't want to do the scanning themselves. (Just as Project Gutenberg can be a starting point for someone wanting to produce high quality formatting.)
Yes, definitely agree.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2024, 02:30 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
I personally wouldn't enjoy reading one of those Archive.org (or OpenLibrary) book scans on my reader. They are a mess.

But they can serve as valuable raw material and I'm glad they are doing what they are doing (even the scans of in copyright stuff).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
While a lot of it available for ePub download, PDF is almost always better in the end. Some of the scans are pretty good, for example the ones you have to check out an hour at a time.

I've been sufficiently motivated to clean a few up and re-OCR, but it is a lot of work and difficult to automate any part of the workflow for doing so.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 04:55 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
The PDFs scanned by the Internet Archive itself use a Luratech layering/transparency for compression reasons. I've had issues with them on my Kobo devices.

The OCR'd ePubs I consider a lost cause.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:45 PM   #9
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Sometimes I see very low "brightness" in Archive.org scans.

Then, a while ago, when looking at one of those, I found an awesome Windows program that allows adjusting all images in a PDF file, in just one click:
https://www.naps2.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-06-18, 19_39_06.png
Views:	36
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	209031   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-06-18, 19_36_18.png
Views:	33
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	209032   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-06-18, 19_33_53.png
Views:	34
Size:	501.9 KB
ID:	209033   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWSnap 2024-06-18, 19_33_35.png
Views:	32
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	209034  

Last edited by Comfy.n; 06-18-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 06:51 PM   #10
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
... I found an awesome Windows program that allows adjusting all images in a PDF file, in just one click:
https://www.naps2.com/
I use that also. It is a great little program.
I don't use it for the pdf adjustment, but I do us the batch scanning mode which works really well.

=edit=
Thanks for the reminder. I see I am a bit out of date using v6.1. Best upgrade to the latest version.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:16 PM   #11
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Thanks for the reminder. I see I am a bit out of date using v6.1. Best upgrade to the latest version.
yes, and I thought it was Windows only. Just now I found it's cross-platform
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 08:30 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just do this in calibre:

VIEW (open the PDF file)
FILE
EXPORT
QUARTZ FILTER (change to BLACK & WHITE)
SAVE

I then take the saved file from Documents (Macbook Air) and load the file onto calibre and then transfer it to my Kindle Scribe. Beautiful. The covers are in black and white, but I don't care.

Then (pay attention ), I READ the book as a PDF file.

Most of my PDF files come from Archive.org

WONDERFUL. SIMPLE. ENJOYABLE. PDF FILE. KINDLE SCRIBE. YEAH!

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-18-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 10:27 AM   #13
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
While they are not my favorite source of Public Domain books I have grabbed a number of their PDFs.

I use EBookDroid to read them on my tablet as it provides a number of options to improve PDF readability.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #14
Frogm4n
Zealot
Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frogm4n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Thanks for linking that. I am glad it is multi-platform. However, on Linux it seems to be single-threaded. Is it the same on Windows/macOS? My main workstation has 14 cores, so seeing it do a compute-heavy task on just one of them is a bit frustrating.
Frogm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 02:08 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There seems to be some multi core discussions at https://sourceforge.net/p/naps2/discussion/general/
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote