Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
chadrizard
chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Changing .kepub collections/shelf using Calibre.

Hi guys, I'm new to the forums but I have "stalked" it for quite a while now. During that period I've been able to setup my Calibre to have a Shelves tab which makes it much easier for me to transfer books from my PC to my Glo whilst retaining the shelf I put it in.

Now here's the issue. I've been downloading free ebooks from kobobooks.com, synced them to my account and have them on my Kobo Desktop and Kobo Glo. The books show up on the main memory of the device, it's common knowledge (I think) that .kepubs from kobobooks cannot be transferred from Device to PC (at least Calibre can't read them) so the method I described on the first paragraph won't work.

The problem is, I can't change the collection (it says collection in the device as opposed to shelves in my Calibre library) from nothing to something. Sure I can do this using the Kobo Glo but looking for each book would be a pain. Any help will be appreciated

I'm running the 2.4.0 firmware and using the latest version of Calibre (0.9.20).
chadrizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The calibre driver will only manage books that are in the current calibre library. But, as kepubs can't be in the library, they can't directly be handled. But, if there is a book in the library with exactly the same title and author as the kepub, calibre will see them as the same book. Then it can do the shelf and series management.

When I buy a book from Kobo, I also download the epub version and add it to my calibre library. This gives me the correct details and the connection. It can also be done by adding an empty book in calibre. An empty book doesn't have any formats, but has the metadata.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
chadrizard
chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!chadrizard , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

That's right, but here's the thing. I was somehow able to change the .kepubs collections about 2 weeks back, now I can't o_O

I don't remember how I did it but I was able to without downloading the epub version from kobobooks, just Calibre and my device.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unless there is a bug in the driver, that means you have a book that matches the kepub in your calibre library. The driver uses information from the library to make the changes on the device. If there is no book in the library for a book on the device, it can't do anything. When you have the device connected, calibre will show a green tick next to each book in the library that is on the device. Those you can put on shelves from calibre once you have the driver configured. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193184 for how to do the configuration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
chadrizard

That much I understand.

Ahh, that's the exact thread that I followed to do what I did in my original post. Still, I'm bugged about the fact that I seemed to have been able to do it before...
Advert