Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Thumbs down first ebook reader - up to 300$- what is right for me ?

So I have 300$ for an ebook reader that will last me a long time.
What I am reading is mostly professional material pdf's.
This is what I think I want.

1. Must be as portable as possible (6" tops i guess)
I mean, I'm actually cool with my iPod on most books and it has a 3" screen.

2. Must have a fast CPU/RAM, it needs to respond without lags.

3. Must have alot of space of the option to expand it with alot of space. I would like to buy a 16/32gb SD card and put it in there if possible.

Probably the most important - It needs to have SUPERB BUILD QUALITY ! ! !
I will gladly take the lesser high-tech device if it's sturdy, quality, and has no flimsy parts in it - I can't stand chinese electronics.

5. big bonus - I'd like to highlight or add notes while I read if that's possible- not critical.

So far I have checked the SONY PRS-600, it looks like it's well made, has a touch screen, and is said to be fast ( According to the sticky matrix)

What do you think ? You can shout out models for me to research ...

Thanks !
Fif23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, silencer,

You can also look at our wiki page detailing the differences of all the devices out today here........

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_devices

and here

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

Good luck on your choice.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Fif23
Connoisseur
Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fif23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks ! I did check these pages ... This is where I got the PRS-600 idea.
Do you think that it the best device that answers my requirements above ?
What else MAY be good for me ? or is the 600 in a league on it's own ?
Old 12-10-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Consider the diffs between the Sony 600 and the 505.
600 reads letter-sized PDFs by zooming; the 505 reflows. The zoom doesn't stay put from one page to the next. (Both, technically, read them without editing--which means cramming a letter-sized page onto a 6" screen. I can read it that way... if it's content I really love.)

I like the reflow on the 505, but that may be because I have no problems editing the PDFs themselves if the reflow doesn't work right--I can add tags, crop out the white borders, add bookmarks and so on. But those features aren't available with free/cheap software.

600 allows annotations, I believe; 505 does not.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I'm thinking the 600, so you can get that bonus highlighting. Plus I was playing with one today and it is wicked fast.

I say Sony in general because (1) you can add memory and (2) I know I've dropped mine twice (once three feet onto blacktop, although I was very lucky) and it's pretty sturdy (metal casing instead of plastic). BUT YOU MUST BE CAREFUL WITH ANY EREADER!!!!! Sorry, can't emphasize that enough. The screens are very fragile. But the Sonys are pretty freaking solid.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only alternative to the PRS-600, given your requirements, is the PocketBook 360. This has a 5" screen, but is well made and has the best PDF capability of any EInk device in your price range.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencer23 View Post
So I have 300$ for an ebook reader that will last me a long time.
What I am reading is mostly professional material pdf's.
It really depends on what those PDFs are? If they are PDFs layed out for 8.5x11 paper and the content is format specific like it contains charts, graphs, or tables, or perhaps source code or math symbology you might not be very happy with any 6inch device.

However, if the PDFs are all or mostly text, then a 6inch device like the Sony that will re-flow the document will be fine for you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #8
Fif23
Connoisseur

Thank you guys for the quick replies !
Bob these are mostly text, and a few images here and there.

I don't quite get the Zoom vs reflow with the PRS 505/600 thing.

Can you read comfortably on the PRS600 without having to play with the page layout every single page ?
I've never had these before so I am not quite sure what reflow means. Does it automatically change the font size etc to fit the 6" screen ?

What I want is to set up my device in a certain way, throw all my PDF's on there and then just open then for reading.... I don't want to mess with layout every page.

Thank you
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've never had these before so I am not quite sure what reflow means. Does it automatically change the font size etc to fit the 6" screen ?
If you download Sony eBook Library software for a Windows PC or a Mac, its ebook viewer displays PDFs very similarly to all of the EInk devices that use mobile Adobe Digital Editions for PDFs (e.g. Sony PRS-600 in particular, but also the PocketBook 360).

Reflow is: extract the text (and images) from the PDF and turn it into something like a web page where changing the font size changes how many words there are per line. Zoom is: leave the page layout alone by only display part of the page.

I have some scans and screenshots in Font Sizes on Pocket Pro. The Adobe Digital Editions scans of the Pocket Pro will be similar to the PRS-600, as are the screenshots from Sony eBL.

For why I recommended the PocketBook 360, see Pocketbook 360 test diary. This is the most feature-rich PDF support available for 5" and 6" EInk readers today.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Fif23
Connoisseur

Thanks !
So you recommend the Pocketbook over the PRS-600.
I am having trouble finding it on Amazon though... Can I have a link ?

Just confirming - What I see on Sony ebook library is what the PRS600 looks like ?
If you have to play with the zoom EACH PAGE, doesn't it make the PRS-600 completely useless and pretty "stupid" device ?

Thanks

EDIT: Why is the PRS-505 more expensive than the PRS-600 ?

Last edited by Fif23; 12-11-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:21 PM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Scarcity value? It should really be midway between the Pocket (the 300) and the Touch (the 600), except it's discontinued.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Thanks !
So you recommend the Pocketbook over the PRS-600.
I am having trouble finding it on Amazon though... Can I have a link ?

Just confirming - What I see on Sony ebook library is what the PRS600 looks like ?
If you have to play with the zoom EACH PAGE, doesn't it make the PRS-600 completely useless and pretty "stupid" device ?

Thanks

Useless and stupid for PDF files maybe, but the 600 and most readers out there were not designed especially for reading PDF files. To get the best result for PDF files you are going to have to get a large format reader but thats going to cost more then $300.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #13
Fif23
Connoisseur

Thanks.
I decided the technology is still not there to allow comfortable PDF text documents on an E-INK device..
Lets wait for CES 2010 ....
Old 12-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
Forkosigan
Wizard
Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.Forkosigan knows who John Galt is.

Device: Pocketbook Touch (622)
Quote:
Thanks.
I decided the technology is still not there to allow comfortable PDF text documents on an E-INK device..
Why? what it means for you is convenient? here an example of complex magazine article in German. Not ideally, but it is possible to read and a 5" Pocketbook 360 °
Attached Files
File Type: zip Screens.zip (667.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: pdf merge.pdf (627.9 KB, 202 views)
Forkosigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Thanks.
I don't think the technology will ever exist to display a PDF layed out for an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper on a 5 or 6inch screen whether it is an eInk device or an LCD device. There are only 3 ways to do it....

1. Reduce the document to the size of the screen. This usually retains all layout however the result is generally too small to be practically usable.

2. Allow you to Pan/Scan the document. This is ok if you are looking at a single page and can get away with looking at only a portion of it. But doesn't bode well for serially reading a document from page 1 to the end.

3. Reflowing the document which will allow the text to remain at a readable font size but you will loose all formatting. Also how graphics are handled is usually either shrink them, drop them, or keep them allowing pan/scan on the graphics. This is ok in some cases, in others not so much.

Most reader devices do support these 3 methods of viewing a PDF file. I don't think the technology of eInk or any display will every change that fact.

If the PDF is layed out to match the size of the reading devices screen it is displayed perfectly well. I have read several ebooks that were PDF on my Sony 500. Since the PDF was formatted for the 500 they were perfectly readable.

This is why the best option to reading 8.5x11 inch layed out PDF files is to use a reading device with a bigger screen. For example the Kindle DX, the iRex DR1002 or a Netbook, Laptop or PC with a larger screen.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote