Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Astak 6" EZ Reader - $149

Fry's (at leas in Houston) has the Astak EZReader 6" reader for $149. It's $259 with instant savings of $80. Then there is the matter of a $30 rebate. Even though I have Pocket Pro, I plan to stop by and snag one of these.

Last edited by Xerxes; 10-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Available on the web site, too.

http://www.frys.com/product/5834633?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Damn, the prices are falling fast!
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Why does it not list Epub as supported on the above page?

Hmm, below on the Astak specs it says non-DRM epub...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Why does it not list Epub as supported on the above page?

Hmm, below on the Astak specs it says non-DRM epub...

My guess would be they're getting rid of stock that has the older firmware (when I bought mine from Fry's in May there was no DRM support for any formats). Or it's possible they just haven't updated their sales blurb - it lists the Pocket Pro as a future model.

ETA: Oops, misread the ad - it's not the Pocket Pro listed as a future model, but the EZ Reader Pro, but the blurb is still old - the future dates mentioned are early 2009.

Last edited by KarenH; 10-09-2009 at 11:29 AM.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
exposition
exposition began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My guess would be they're getting rid of stock that has the older firmware (when I bought mine from Fry's in May there was no DRM support for any formats). Or it's possible they just haven't updated their sales blurb - it lists the Pocket Pro as a future model.

ETA: Oops, misread the ad - it's not the Pocket Pro listed as a future model, but the EZ Reader Pro, but the blurb is still old - the future dates mentioned are early 2009.
If it doesn't come with the latest firmware supporting Adobe Digital Editions, it is free to download from Astak's site.
exposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
KarenH
Addict
KarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five wordsKarenH can name that ebook in five words

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by exposition View Post
If it doesn't come with the latest firmware supporting Adobe Digital Editions, it is free to download from Astak's site.
Yep, that's what I did.
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #7
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
My guess would be they're getting rid of stock that has the older firmware (when I bought mine from Fry's in May there was no DRM support for any formats).
Since the firmware is easily updated, and based upon the age of the Basic and the recent intro of the Pocket Pro with faster CPU and display controller (with more shades of gray), my guess is that Astak is getting ready to introduce a replacement model with newer hardware, and is clearing the old models out of the warehouse at discount prices.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #8
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, cool. So it can be upgraded to do ADE DRM EPub. Good.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Can I buy books OTA with this?
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #10
kennyc

OTA ??
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Can I buy books OTA with this?
Not currently.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OTA ??
OTA = Over The Air (i.e. wirelessly)

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
OTA = Over The Air (i.e. wirelessly)

Luqman

Old 10-09-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
Got another. It's still for me but I'll let my mom do it.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #15
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It's in my local Fry's flier today here in California. Limit 1 per customer, but that's still a great deal.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote