Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
EvilWayz
EvilWayz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Calibre in Wine

Works fine with two exceptions:

1. Can't get server to work. I assume that's my fault and as soon as I get the ports sorted and recognize, it will
2. calibre doesn't recognize my reader when I plug it in. I assume this is also not calibre's fault, and that I need some sort of driver so wine knows what it is I'm plugging in and what to do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
EvilWayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Why are you running it using Wine? There is an official Linux build. Also, while we don't provide support, there are many packages for other OSes provided by their respective projects.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
EvilWayz

I can't get the linux version to work. Mr. Goyal feels that there's something wrong with my Nvidia driver and suggested I use the "nv" or "vesa" drivers as a work around, and since I don't feel like giving up my dual monitors this is the only way I can use Calibre until they fix the driver.

The server issue is starting to annoy me, I get the error " port XXXX is not free on 0.0.0.0. Based on the bug reports previously submitted, this can be fixed by turning off anti-virus protection, and is sometimes caused by multiple nics. It was also suggested that editing your server.py file to direct the server to the correct port is also a fix, but I didn't see where to do that when I examined the file. The only thing is I only have one nic, and I don't run virus protection. I turned off moblock to see if that would help, and it didn't. I must admit that since I'm not a power linux user I'm sort of at a loss here.

I can add books to Calibre still, and I can always drag and drop books to my reader until i get these problems sorted.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilWayz View Post
Works fine with two exceptions:

1. Can't get server to work. I assume that's my fault and as soon as I get the ports sorted and recognize, it will
2. calibre doesn't recognize my reader when I plug it in. I assume this is also not calibre's fault, and that I need some sort of driver so wine knows what it is I'm plugging in and what to do with it.

Anyone have any suggestions?
I might be wrong here as I don't keep up to date on wine, but I believe you don't have access to usb via wine
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I can't get the linux version to work. Mr. Goyal feels that there's something wrong with my Nvidia driver and suggested I use the "nv" or "vesa" drivers as a work around, and since I don't feel like giving up my dual monitors this is the only way I can use Calibre until they fix the driver.

The server issue is starting to annoy me, I get the error " port XXXX is not free on 0.0.0.0. Based on the bug reports previously submitted, this can be fixed by turning off anti-virus protection, and is sometimes caused by multiple nics. It was also suggested that editing your server.py file to direct the server to the correct port is also a fix, but I didn't see where to do that when I examined the file. The only thing is I only have one nic, and I don't run virus protection. I turned off moblock to see if that would help, and it didn't. I must admit that since I'm not a power linux user I'm sort of at a loss here.

I can add books to Calibre still, and I can always drag and drop books to my reader until i get these problems sorted.
I run Calibre on Ubuntu: Dual head (1 rotated) with Xinerama and Calibre with no issues as to which monitor it is open on.
Nvidia 6900 card

Nvidia drivers were al PITA with Rotation and placement whit monitors on a KVM and Switchbox (Just does not like to see a Monitor go away).
The Standard driver deals well when I later 'add' (I don't always switch the second monitor) the second monitor during a session.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
EvilWayz

Thanks! One problem down.

Off to build Wine and patch it with an experimental usb patch.

Ducks, I was not aware that dual headed support was available for the open source drivers. Let me ask you this, does it require hand editing your xorg.conf file? I remember trying to achieve dualhead support in ubuntu 6.10 and after four days of trying I gave up.

I would really like to switch to the open sources drivers so I don't have to wait on Nvidia for support.

Last edited by EvilWayz; 05-23-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! One problem down.

Off to build Wine and patch it with an experimental usb patch.

Ducks, I was not aware that dual headed support was available for the open source drivers. Let me ask you this, does it require hand editing your xorg.conf file? I remember trying to achieve dualhead support in ubuntu 6.10 and after four days of trying I gave up.

I would really like to switch to the open sources drivers so I don't have to wait on Nvidia for support.
I click on Stystem:Preferences: Monitors.
Been that way at least since 8.4 (really the best yet on Natty)
Old 05-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
EvilWayz

Wow, nothing like simplicity to make you feel stupid, huh? Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Wow, nothing like simplicity to make you feel stupid, huh? Thanks, I'll try that.

My main monitor is 1440x900
My secondary Monitor (1024x768) is In portrait mode.

That combo usually strains things (and it works in Natty)