Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
jstabe
Enthusiast
jstabe began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Moon+ Reader Pro problems after update

I've been using Moon+ Reader for probably a year now, and I've always loved it. Now, after the last couple of updates, it's acting wrong.

I use Calibre to organize my fanfiction and to add it to my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1). It doesn't have USB so I use Calibre as a wireless device. The books always load fine and have always imported fine. But now...

1) Anthologies I made using ePub Merge no longer work in Moon+ Reader. The first book is the only one I can access, though if I open the book on my laptop it's fine.

2) Moon+ Reader is importing tags that I don't have. I thought maybe it was getting it's info from the book itself somehow, but it's not because it only imports certain tags. But they aren't the ones that I have set up in Calibre.

Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I know I don't have to import to Moon+ Reader, but I prefer to because I like that it has the book blurbs. I'd hate to have to give it up, but I don't like all the mess.
jstabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstabe View Post
I use Calibre to organize my fanfiction and to add it to my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1). It doesn't have USB so I use Calibre as a wireless device. The books always load fine and have always imported fine. But now...
Exactly how do you get your books to your device?

Quote:
1) Anthologies I made using ePub Merge no longer work in Moon+ Reader. The first book is the only one I can access, though if I open the book on my laptop it's fine.
This was discussed as a problem in the epub merge plugin thread at the end of August. If it was working for you previously then maybe this is a regression that you have to point out to the developer. Contact information here.

At the time of the discussion about this problem back in August I believe the work around was a epub to epub conversion in calibre.

Quote:
2) Moon+ Reader is importing tags that I don't have. I thought maybe it was getting it's info from the book itself somehow, but it's not because it only imports certain tags. But they aren't the ones that I have set up in Calibre.
I don't import books into Moon+ so I can't verify your problem. I have to believe that Moon+ is getting the tags from the book (it doesn't make things up). Most likely this problem is on calibre's end.

Just because you have tags setup in calibre does not mean the metadata (tags, title, author etc...) has been updated in the book. Metadata in the book is usually only updated when exported from calibre using standard calibre features such as

Send to Device
Save to disk
Email
Content server

Other ways to ensure the tags are updated in the book are via the following features:

Conversion to epub (including an epub to epub conversion)
Modify Epub plugin
Polish feature

If you are using Dropbox or similar sync software to get the book to your device there is no guarantee the tags in your book will be updated. If this is how you get books onto your device then you must do one of the latter three suggested methods of updating the metadata in your book prior to importing the books into Moon+.

Quote:
Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated. I know I don't have to import to Moon+ Reader, but I prefer to because I like that it has the book blurbs. I'd hate to have to give it up, but I don't like all the mess.
I use Calibre Companion (CC) to manage the books on my device. CC provides quick access to the book blurbs, allows me to sort my books by multiple choices, such as author, title then series. You get all of the metadata available to you in calibre including any custom columns and allows me to open any book in virtually whichever reader I like. The features are too many to detail, but the best part is never having to import books into Moon+ without losing any of the benefits.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
jstabe
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=DoctorOhh;2688653]Exactly how do you get your books to your device?

I connect as a wireless device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post

I use Calibre Companion (CC) to manage the books on my device. CC provides quick access to the book blurbs, allows me to sort my books by multiple choices, such as author, title then series. You get all of the metadata available to you in calibre including any custom columns and allows me to open any book in virtually whichever reader I like. The features are too many to detail, but the best part is never having to import books into Moon+ without losing any of the benefits.
I just liked importing to Moon+ Reader because you don't have to tap on the book to get a blurb. That was a nice little feature when I was just looking for something to reread.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly how do you get your books to your device?
I connect as a wireless device.
This doesn't answer my question. How do you connect as a wireless device? Using what App? The only app I am experienced with that connects as a wireless device is Calibre Companion, is this what you use? If so you will want to use one of the three latter methods I referred to to make sure the metadata in the epubs within your library are up to date. Once that is done retransfer the books to your device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
jstabe
Enthusiast

Quote:
This doesn't answer my question. How do you connect as a wireless device? Using what App? The only app I am experienced with that connects as a wireless device is Calibre Companion, is this what you use? If so you will want to use one of the three latter methods I referred to to make sure the metadata in the epubs within your library are up to date. Once that is done retransfer the books to your device.
Sorry. Yes, I do use Calibre Companion and I always do a modify epub after changing any metadata. I'll try your suggestions and see what happens.
Advert