Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Mencken
Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony PRS-350
deleting that Windows setup stuff

When I got my PRS-350, I never did any of the Windows setup stuff. I use my PRS-350 like a thumb drive with a screen, downloading to it through Calibre what I want to read here and there.

So now when I connect my PRS-350 to my laptop, the laptop asks me if I want to open the drives that are on the reader. One drive has the books, of course.

The other drive, though, has folders for:

1) Setup Reader Library for Mac.app
2) Windows
3) Setup Reader for Windows Library.exe

And my question is: Should I, Can I, delete 1, 2, and 3 above? I have no intention of doing anything more with the reader than I'm already doing; I've never opened any of 1, 2, and 3 above.

What say y'all?
Mencken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Don't delete those things. Just ignore them when you connect the reader to your computer. I think if you delete it you'll mess it up. When you get those pop-ups, just close the window. I think you can also set your settings to not ask you for a specific device so you don't have to close it each time but I wouldn't delete to be on the safe side.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #3
Mencken
Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Mencken , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Thank you for your answer.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
That other drive (shows as Settings on mine) is only 10MB anyway, so it's not really worth deleting immaterial of whether you plan on using it or not. Like ShopaholicBetter says, better safe than sorry and just ignore it!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Strane behaviour .......

What Windows are you running ?
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Strane behaviour .......

How do you figure? Unless you've set your system not to, anytime you attach or connect a device you get a pop-up asking what you want to do.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
How do you figure? Unless you've set your system not to, anytime you attach or connect a device you get a pop-up asking what you want to do.
There are settings to stop those annoying pop ups from hell everytime you plug in another device. They're always turned off my systems, WinXP. So I'm guessing carpetmojo forgot the default is the pop ups maybe?
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Mencken:

1) It's not possible to delete this 'stuff'
2) Deactivate autorun:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...nd-usb-drives/

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #9
Mencken

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Strane behaviour .......

X Damn P, the best OS evahhhhhhhhhhhh.

I'm kidding.

I think.

Maybe.

Thanks for replying.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
Mencken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
There are settings to stop those annoying pop ups from hell everytime you plug in another device. They're always turned off my systems, WinXP. So I'm guessing carpetmojo forgot the default is the pop ups maybe?
There is a tick box or check box -- or whatever we call that thingy that comes up -- that says I can disable that behavior in the future. But then it disables the popup for all devices if I'm not mistaken. I want the popup for the folder that contains images and books, don't want it for the drive that contains the Windows stuff. And then there are some other devices, e.g. the thumb drive I use for business, I want the popup to come up every time. (All this 'I want this,' 'I don't want that' -- I really feel I'm getting in touch with my feminine side, you know?)

It's a small enough inconvenience, I reckon, to just Esc the one and open the other.

But thanks for responding to my query.