Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-04-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
douglasnorth
douglasnorth began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Libra 2
Libra 2 not connecting to my wifi

Bought a Libra 2 this week and I'm having trouble connecting to my building's wifi. The router uses a 2 step sign in process. One password to connect to "XXX Guest", then each user has a personal username/password they have to enter in the second step. Usually, the first time I connect a new device to the wifi, I'm taken to a browser window where I have to do some kind of "portal authentication" where I enter my username and password. Once I've done this on a device, the wifi connection happens automatically when I want to go on the internet.
But, when I try to connect with my my Libra 2, I can connect to "XXX Guest"no problem, then I get a popup message that says "Hotspot Detected". When I press "Continue", it goes to a blank browser screen with one of those stupid animated circles in the upper right corner.
I have been able to connect to the internet at the local public library, since that is a one-step process, with no password.
I have chatted twice with KOBO help, but the only suggestion they have is that it's a problem with my building's wifi.
I welcome any helpful suggestions, before I return my Libra 2 to the store.
douglasnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:43 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Those internet portals (hotels etc have them too) are a PITA. Do you need to be constantly connected? If it was me I'd just hotspot off my phone when needed.

And maybe just check with building management to see if there's a secure wifi login alternative to the captive portal?

Last edited by meeera; 01-04-2023 at 08:46 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've never got my local Irish library or shopping centre WiFi to work with any Kindle or Kobo. Only my own WiFi.
They use a webpage with javascript.

You could try setting up a router or PC or repeater that has ability to be a router or proxy to WiFi protected in this manner (needs a webbrowser) and set it up as your personal WiFi point.

No option with building for ethernet and then easy to add your own wifi?

However I use downloads for upgrades, never use sync (except for Sage Advanced Notebook SW upgrade when asked) and never use WiFi on Kindle or Kobo now except to "register". Never in over 5 years had an email to registration email used for Kobo. I used a different email when buying items from the Kobo shop (Sages & Libra2).

Last edited by Quoth; 01-04-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote