Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
Ethereal
Ethereal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Reset PW2 lock screen pin

I may be searching for the wrong terms, but I didn't find this anywhere... is there a way to reset the lock screen PIN? My son forgot his password, and his kindle is jailbroken with usb networking. TIA!
Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There used to be a magic answer, IIRC, but:

a/ I don't remember it
b/ It triggered a factory reset, IIRC, which might not be that fun.

If b isn't an issue, that was something like RESETMYKINDLE or something in that vein.

----

That said, if you can access the device over SSH, you're golden, just wipe the password db, that should do the trick (it's, err, somewhere in /var/local ? ).
Take that with a grain of salt, I've never played with the PIN locking stuff.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Try here
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
That requires having USB access to the userstore, which requires having the password. When using the Magic Reset password does the same thing.

FWIW, the old Kindles were "resetmykindle" but of course new devices only use numbers on the lockscreen. So I *think* the new Magic Reset is something like "11223377".

Edit: Close. Checked the Amazon help article, and it is "111222777".

Last edited by eschwartz; 05-22-2015 at 04:25 PM. Reason: magic, not ragic
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As for the password file, how does
Code:
/var/local/system/userpasswd{,enabled}
sound?
Advert
Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #6
Ethereal

Dang, was hoping I could avoid the reset. Will the jailbreak persist? I can easily restore the content. I've instructed the kid to give it at least 100 tries so hopefully he'll not change the password every week from now on
Old 04-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

As NiLuJe said, if you can still get in via USBNetwork then simply delete the password file. Otherwise... well, there is a reason why passwords exist.

As for forgetting the password -- a better solution would be to have him be responsible and write the password down!! Maybe in a password manager -- for instance, I use Lastpass.com for practically everything.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As NiLuJe said, if you can still get in via USBNetwork then simply delete the password file. Otherwise... well, there is a reason why passwords exist.

As for forgetting the password -- a better solution would be to have him be responsible and write the password down!! Maybe in a password manager -- for instance, I use Lastpass.com for practically everything.
I use lastpass also, but the kid is 8 so I don't think he's ready for that Hopefully this is a lesson for him, I warned him not to forget the password... I already reset it, and for some reason totally forgot about usbnetworking although I know it was operating last time I checked... oh well. I really just wanted to set the screensaver to one with contact info in case he lost it, but I guess masking tape will work also!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

8 years old maybe in a few years.

The screensavers hack should be suitable for setting contact info (there is a nice feature to overlay the screensaver with the Personal Info in Settings) -- is the Kindle still jailbroken? It should persist across resets.