Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
glorya
glorya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hello from the Midwest

I received my Kindle 2 yesterday and have already downloaded a book from Amazon. I really don't want to continue all my downloads from there because it could cost a small fortune. I have found links to free sites (e.g., Gutenberg) but I will be needing all the help I can get from this board. You will, no doubt, be seeing in other forums asking such basic questions that you all will think I am an imbecile ... and with this new Kindle, I feel like one. I hope I find the Basic Help Site 101 because that is what I need. Thanks for listening and "Hello" to all.
glorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi glorya and welcome to MobileRead. Enjoy your new toy and you can count on lots of friendly help here
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome Glorya. MR is a great place for help. The problem is, often that help is scattered among various threads, but if you have specific questions, you'll probably get answers (or at least opinions) fairly quickly.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Since it took me a while to notice it -- THIS SITE has very good free books, "lovingly hand-formatted" for the most part. About one inch down from the top of this page, there's a blue bar. (My eyes kept skipping over it.) Click on "EBooks" and choose type "Mobipocket" for a kindle. Voila!!! Zillions and zillions of books!

Welcome!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
glorya
glorya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
OMG, are all these "freebies?? So do I download them to my PC????? and, if so, then what? Thank you so much.
glorya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Oh good -- someone else who didn't know, "and I holped"! (You are probably too young to remember that commercial)

You click on the bookname.prc to download to your pc ..... then attach the Kindle to your PC (or mac) with the USB cable. It'll soon appear on your desktop like a disk named "Kindle".
Just drag the books.prc to the folder named "documents" on the Kindle. Do a proper dismount of the "Kindle" disk, and then unplug. Voila!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Oh good -- someone else who didn't know, "and I holped"! (You are probably too young to remember that commercial)

You click on the bookname.prc to download to your pc ..... then attach the Kindle to your PC (or mac) with the USB cable. It'll soon appear on your desktop like a disk named "Kindle".
Just drag the books.prc to the folder named "documents" on the Kindle. Do a proper dismount of the "Kindle" disk, and then unplug. Voila!
My wife's grandfather used that word "holp" a lot to mean the past tense of help. I used to think that he was just ignorant until I found out that the German & Dutch word for help, past tense was similar. He was of Dutch heritage. Seems like I'm always learning something new.

Last edited by slayda; 03-25-2009 at 09:59 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:24 AM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome to the forum! Great place for information and a few laughs
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote