Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2023, 11:28 PM   #1
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast
KaizaCorp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
new Libra 2 slow transfer rate

I just picked up a Libra 2, and I've noticed the transfer rate is quite slow (2.7-3.0 MB/s). My old Clara HD transfers much faster, and that's only on a USB2 port!

I've tried different cords, different ports, then tested those cords and ports with other devices (my phone), and done a factory reset... yet the transfer with the Libra 2 stays the same slow rate.

I will note that I was unable to perform a Manual Factory Reset (holding power + page turn for 30 seconds).

Are there any other steps I can take? Or do I have a dud?
KaizaCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 11:48 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Try typing devmodeon in the search box. It won't find anything but if you then go into Settings => Device information, you should see a Developer options item. Opening that, you should find a Factory reset as the last entry. This is the equivalent to a manual factory reset.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 12:07 AM   #3
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Try typing devmodeon in the search box. It won't find anything but if you then go into Settings => Device information, you should see a Developer options item. Opening that, you should find a Factory reset as the last entry. This is the equivalent to a manual factory reset.
Thanks, I was able to reset it that way!

Unfortunately the transfer rate remains slow.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:08 AM   #4
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

It occurs to me that perhaps this is just the maximum transfer rate for a Libre 2? Doesn't quite make sense to have it as such with a USB C port, but maybe it's due to the write speed of the harddrive?

Can anyone with a Libre 2 confirm they're able to get a faster transfer rate?
Old 06-14-2023, 04:21 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaCorp View Post
It occurs to me that perhaps this is just the maximum transfer rate for a Libre 2? Doesn't quite make sense to have it as such with a USB C port, but maybe it's due to the write speed of the harddrive?

Can anyone with a Libre 2 confirm they're able to get a faster transfer rate?
I have no idea the transfer speed. I just send eBook(s) to my Libra 2 and it gets done.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2023, 04:35 AM   #6
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have no idea the transfer speed. I just send eBook(s) to my Libra 2 and it gets done.
Mine got done... eventually. ~30 minutes to transfer a few hundred eBooks. Mainly an issue for the initial setup, but does disuade me from loading audiobooks.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaizaCorp View Post
Mine got done... eventually. ~30 minutes to transfer a few hundred eBooks. Mainly an issue for the initial setup, but does disuade me from loading audiobooks.
Have you tried a different USB port be is USB 3 or USB-C? Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried a different computer?
Old 06-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Have you tried a different USB port be is USB 3 or USB-C? Have you tried a different cable? Have you tried a different computer?
Could you try transferring and report back your speed. Probably a good idead to get a baseline before blaming it on cables, ports, ...?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:39 AM   #9
Connoisseur
305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.305869 solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boox Leaf 7"
I have 2.7mb/s transfer speed on my Kobo Libra 2. It's pretty slow but I just assumed that was normal. It's fast enough for most books, it's only comics that it's a problem or when transferring a lot of books at once.
305869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:00 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
This is a speed graph from a test drag-dropping 1100+ epubs to my Libra2 using Win11 via USB3.

As you can see, the speed slows down part-way through then speeds up a bit near the end. Still pretty slow compared to copying to my USB-connected external hard drive, which is about 70MB/s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-14 135931.png
Views:	133
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	202019  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 01:01 PM   #11
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Could you try transferring and report back your speed. Probably a good idead to get a baseline before blaming it on cables, ports, ...?
Yes, I've tried it with multiple cables (the one that came with it and my own) and ports (USB2, USB3, and USB C). I get the same transfer rate (~2.7-3.0 MB/s) with the Libre 2 regardless. I get several times the transfer rate using the same ports with my Clara HD, so it seems odd the device with USB C would be slower.

Quote:
Yes, same situation. I've not tried on another computer though (but I have tested the cords with other devices).

Edit: Tried on another computer (Windows 10, USB2 port) and got the same transfer rate.

Last edited by KaizaCorp; 06-14-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:06 PM   #12
KaizaCorp
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 305869 View Post
I have 2.7mb/s transfer speed on my Kobo Libra 2. It's pretty slow but I just assumed that was normal. It's fast enough for most books, it's only comics that it's a problem or when transferring a lot of books at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
This is a speed graph from a test drag-dropping 1100+ epubs to my Libra2 using Win11 via USB3.

As you can see, the speed slows down part-way through then speeds up a bit near the end. Still pretty slow compared to copying to my USB-connected external hard drive, which is about 70MB/s.

Thank you for testing that out for me. It seems like that may just be the rate it goes for the Libre 2 (unless we all have the same issue!)

Edit: I did some tests with CrystalDiskMark on both the Clara HD and Libre 2 .

The write speeds for the last two rows are closer to what I get transferring many epubs. Although 2.7-3.0 MB/s is still the maximum I can get even if it's one large file (like a KoboRoot.tgz).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	claraHD_USB2.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	202021   Click image for larger version

Name:	libre2_USB2.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	202022  

Last edited by KaizaCorp; 06-14-2023 at 02:14 PM. Reason: adding images
Old 06-14-2023, 04:26 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

This is copying about 1GB worth of random eBooks to my Libra 2 from SSD to the Libra 2 via USB-C to USB-C in Windows 11 using Windows Explorer. I'm getting about 3M to about 6MB.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-14 212338.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	202025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-14 212327.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	202026   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-14 212307.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	202027  
Old 06-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #14
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
There is no way the memory inside an e-reader is fast enough to take advantage of USB 3 transfer speeds. If the transfer is fast at first and then slows down, it's probably because the computer was transferring books into a buffer, and once the buffer filled up, it had to slow down to wait for the buffer to empty at the real transfer rate.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:38 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

250 random eBooks copied to my Libra 2 same way as the previous message took an average of 4.31MB to copy.

1,245,760,356 bytes took 4:35.29 to copy.

Tags
libre 2