Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2024, 01:05 PM   #1
bido
bido began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 10
Epub not listed in my Kindle library after dedrm with calibre

It's first time I DeDRM an epub in order to be able to read it on my Kindle.

After DeDRM, the resulted epub can be opened with calibre, but when I transfer it to my Kindle, the book is not listed in my library. I tried to put it manually in the Kindle's storage but it just wont show up.

However, after converting it into MOBI and transferred to Kindle, it's showing up in my library.

It's first time an epub is not listed on my Kindle and I have no idea why. I tried also to send it over email, but got an error email from Amazon that the book cannot be sent to my kindle.

What could be the problem here? Any idea?

Thanks!
bido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindles do not have support for ePub. You need to convert them to a Kindle format.

If using calibre, I would recommend converting to AZW3 or KFX (the latter requires KFX Output plugin and installation of Kindle Previewer 3) rather than MOBI. AZW3 is functionally the same as MOBI but about half the file size.

You can also convert ePub to KFX with send-to-kindle service.

If you got an error sending via email, it could be the email address you sent it from is not white-listed, or the ePub has some formatting errors in it.

In any case I would use the Web send to kindle as it lets you supply Title and Author metadata, and accepts larger ePub files. You can also monitor progress there.

Last edited by tomsem; 06-11-2024 at 01:43 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 01:47 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
AZW3 is functionally the same as MOBI but about half the file size.
KF8 (azw3) has multiple enhancements relative to mobi.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 01:53 PM   #4
bido

> Kindles do not have support for ePub. You need to convert them to a Kindle format.

I think that was true for first Kindle versions. I have a Kindle 10 and Amazon discourages using MOBI and recommends using epub format.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA

However, I've sent to my Kindle tens (maybe hundreds) of epubs. All my ebooks are epub and worked with no issue.

> If you got an error sending via email, it could be the email address you sent it from is not white-listed, or the ePub has some formatting errors in it.

Email address is good for sure, almost all my ebooks are sent to Kindle through email. Pitty Amazon doesn't detail on what went wrong.
Old 06-11-2024, 02:07 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
amazon provides services that convert EPUB to a kindle format and deliver the converted file to a kindle.

kindles with stock software do NOT support EPUB.

You can test your EPUB with epubcheck to check it for errors.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2024, 02:18 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by bido View Post
I think that was true for first Kindle versions. I have a Kindle 10 and Amazon discourages using MOBI and recommends using epub format.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...WYD9SAF7PGXRNA

[url]https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=G5WYD9SAF7PGXRNA
However, I've sent to my Kindle tens (maybe hundreds) of epubs. All my ebooks are epub and worked with no issue.
Using any flavour of Send to Kindle, you can send an ePub to Amazon but what Amazon will send to your device/app will be mobi for antique Kindles, azw3/KF8 or KFX for newer devices.

StK no longer accepts any Amazon format (mobi, azw3/KF8 or KFX). Evidently Amazon no longer believes in eating their own dog food.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:18 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Kindles do not have support for ePub. You need to convert them to a Kindle format.

If using calibre, I would recommend converting to AZW3 or KFX (the latter requires KFX Output plugin and installation of Kindle Previewer 3) rather than MOBI. AZW3 is functionally the same as MOBI but about half the file size.
Mobi is HTML3, no CSS, no embedded fonts and very basic. Only four Kindles are absolutely limited to mobi: K1, K2, DX and stupidly the DXG (because they didn't upgrade RAM).

The azw3 is basically similar to epub2, with a subset of HTML5 and older Kindles that didn't have azw3, apart from the 4 above can be updated to have azw3.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
The K3 is the oldest that does azw3, i.e. publisher fonts, css etc, but didn't originally.

The azw3 is dramatically better than old mobi, which was already obsolete in 2007 when Amazon did the first Kindle. They bought Mobipocket, who had developed mobi, in 2005.

There is dual mobi, which is old mobo (kf7) and azw3 (kf8) in one file.
The kfX doesn't add much to reflowable novels.

Last edited by Quoth; 06-11-2024 at 02:23 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:23 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
amazon provides services that convert EPUB to a kindle format and deliver the converted file to a kindle.

kindles with stock software do NOT support EPUB.

You can test your EPUB with epubcheck to check it for errors.
Though Calibre may be better for mobi (four prehistoric kindles) and azw3. The Calibre editor has Calibre Check and can have epub check, for epubs. You can also check/edit TOC and font support/embedding/subsetsa.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 02:40 PM   #9
bido

Thank you guys! Now I have a better image on how this works.

I checked the epub with epubcheck and got the below error. Is this thing normal after dedrm? I guess I can unzip the file and fix the issue? Anyone knows if calibre can fix this kind of errors?

ERROR: OEBPS/toc.ncx: NCX identifier ("dd95ec1a-d7e8-4fe1-b3f4-a25e58e7e23f") does not match OPF identifier ("978-973-46-9418-1").
Old 06-11-2024, 03:18 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's best if you use calibre to convert to KF8 and use calibre to send that to your Kindle via USB.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:04 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I checked the epub with epubcheck and got the below error. Is this thing normal after dedrm? I guess I can unzip the file and fix the issue? Anyone knows if calibre can fix this kind of errors?

ERROR: OEBPS/toc.ncx: NCX identifier ("dd95ec1a-d7e8-4fe1-b3f4-a25e58e7e23f") does not match OPF identifier ("978-973-46-9418-1").
That error happens fairly often (indie or big publisher, university press, etc.) and I don't think it will affect StK. You could use either Sigil or the calibre ebook editor to correct that error. Basically just copy the identifier from the .opf file to the .ncx file.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:13 PM   #12
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's best if you use calibre to convert to KF8 and use calibre to send that to your Kindle via USB.
So you can be extra happy latter when that Amazon "bug" deletes all your Calibre generated azw3 files (because of cdeType EBOK Calibre sets)?
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 04:59 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
So you can be extra happy latter when that Amazon "bug" deletes all your Calibre generated azw3 files (because of cdeType EBOK Calibre sets)?
That's not an issue because you can keep WiFi off. Sideload with calibre and manually install new firmware. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 05:35 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It's worth a try, if only to get more familiar with calibre features and maybe also learning about CSS/HTML and how things are put together.

Select the ePub and click Edit book in toolbar. When the editor opens there is a link in upper right pane to Run check. And then when it identifies errors, it will offer to try to fix the issue.

If it fixes some, re-run check to see if it's okay. If not, you can try fixing the rest, or save and come back to it later if it is still causing trouble.
Old 06-11-2024, 05:38 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
I would like to see this happen. Can you tell me exactly how to reproduce it?