Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2021, 05:07 AM   #1
letshin
letshin began at the beginning.

Device: Desire
Kindle root password seems to get changed automatically

I've rooted my Kindle (I think its KT2) and have changed its password after mntroot rw, passwd root, and type in the new password twice.

What seems to happen is that after a few hours, the password becomes invalid and I can no longer SSH in to upload items/make changes. This has happened a couple of times and the past few times I thought it may be down to my failing memory. So I unplug it, enable USBnetwork and connect via telnet to change the password again. But this time round, I use a very familiar password and also wrote it down. 12h later, the password has changed again, disabling login.

My question is why is this happening and what can I do to make sure password changes remain permanent?
letshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by letshin View Post
I've rooted my Kindle (I think its KT2) and have changed its password after mntroot rw, passwd root, and type in the new password twice.

What seems to happen is that after a few hours, the password becomes invalid and I can no longer SSH in to upload items/make changes. This has happened a couple of times and the past few times I thought it may be down to my failing memory. So I unplug it, enable USBnetwork and connect via telnet to change the password again. But this time round, I use a very familiar password and also wrote it down. 12h later, the password has changed again, disabling login.

My question is why is this happening and what can I do to make sure password changes remain permanent?
This could be a prevention measure by Amazon (maybe some cron daemon that restores the shadow file and somehow changes the password), but then it's strange that my root password never changes on my PW3...
What firmware version are you on? Mine is on 5.12.4 IIRC, and I haven't been experiencing any of those issues.
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 10:43 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The root account is locked, you shouldn't be using password auth to begin with. Switch to a key pair.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
letshin

Thanks NiLuJe - gone with the authorised keys thing on Putty. Hope it continues working now

@NiMa I'm on 5.12.2
Old 04-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #5
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letshin View Post
Thanks NiLuJe - gone with the authorised keys thing on Putty. Hope it continues working now

@NiMa I'm on 5.12.2
Probably that public/private key pair login will work now.
@NiLuJe Locked? Well, I've been able to login via Wi-Fi to the Kindle's SSH server just fine with a password...
Advert
Old 04-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

USBNet's dropbear is patched, so it's irrelevant over USB, and setting a password kills the lock, IIRC.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
USBNet's dropbear is patched, so it's irrelevant over USB, and setting a password kills the lock.
Ah ok! Thanks
Old 04-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW(5)
If the password field contains some string that is not a valid result of crypt(3), for instance ! or *, the user will not be able to use a unix password to log in (but the user may log in the system by other means).
Code:
cat ROOT/etc/shadow
root:!:10933:0:99999:7:::
So, yeah, since it's the password field, setting a password unlocks it.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:15 AM   #9
letshin

OK, its been overnight and I can still log in fine with the key-pair. Can someone help me understand what 'root account is locked means' in regards to dropbear? My understanding only goes as far as that Dropbear is a SSH program that has advanced cryptology implemented...

Tags
password