Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
champignac
champignac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Differences between Kobo Touch models?

Hi!

It's my first time here and I hope to learn, and help when I can, a lot in here!
I'm new to e-readers but after searching and comparing a lot of models, I've decided to buy a Kobo Touch (black). As in my country (I live in Europe) the Touch costs nearly 100€, I have decided to buy it online in Amazon marketplace (it costs around 50 euros in Germany).

So my problem is that I came through a page of several online shops where I can buy different models of the Touch: N905-JPR-B, N905-KDN-B e N905-KBO-B.
I have not found any information in the internet concerning these models and the differences between them.

Can anyone help me? I wouldn't like to buy the wrong model or an old one.

Thanks a lot for the help!!
champignac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This thread from a few days ago should help you...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222178
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
I think the problem is we're not familiar with the JPR or KDN variants; I expect though that they are packaging differences, or possibly branding for a particular retailer.

All the ones you cite though appear to be N905-B models.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Doh, I didn't even notice all the models were 905B's. I'd guess Peter has the right of things.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
champignac

Thank you all for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
This thread from a few days ago should help you...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222178
I saw it but unfortunately it didn't help me much, only to knwo there is still a C series that I don't have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I think the problem is we're not familiar with the JPR or KDN variants; I expect though that they are packaging differences, or possibly branding for a particular retailer.

All the ones you cite though appear to be N905-B models.
Indeed, all the ones I saw are B models. So, if you are not "familiar with the JPR or KDN variants", does that mean that everyone here has the KBO variant?

Thanks!
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
champignac

I've tried to compare all the models in an excel file based on the technical details some of the websites provided.
A preliminar comparison seems to indicate that the only difference between the three models (JPR-B, KDN-B and KBO-B) is that the JPR-B has 10 fonts and 24 font sizes while the other two have 7 fonts and 17 font sizes.
Two websites said that the KDN-B and KBO-B have the same characteristics. But here is when things got complicated. Another website stated that the KBO's processor was a MX508 instead of just 508 but I guess this is the same.
Another difference is thata website stated that the KBO was able to read "PRC (Mobipocket)" format while the others said nothing. But I won't continue because the same seller with the same e-reader has often different characteristics in their own website and in their page in Amazon. For example, one of them states in its website that the software is "New and improved Kobo Desktop software" while in Amazon it says it runs Linux.
Damn, how is that such a simple thing is getting so complicated?

Last edited by champignac; 09-12-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignac View Post
I saw it but unfortunately it didn't help me much, only to knwo there is still a C series that I don't have access to.
The N905C are the latest ones. They use the same firmware package as the Glo, Mini and Aura HD. The package for the N905 and N905B is basically the same, but contains a different set of fonts and some images.
Quote:
Indeed, all the ones I saw are B models. So, if you are not "familiar with the JPR or KDN variants", does that mean that everyone here has the KBO variant?
I haven't paid much attention to the full model number, but I have a N905B here with a broken screen. The box shows it is N905-KDN-B. I suspect that PeterT is right and the difference is packaging or simply the batch it was in.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
One other reason for different product codes is Price Matching.

By releasing an item with a different product code for one reseller, they remove themselves from the need to price-match on the identical item at another store (since the product code is NOT the same as other stores).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried to compare all the models in an excel file based on the technical details some of the websites provided.
A preliminar comparison seems to indicate that the only difference between the three models (JPR-B, KDN-B and KBO-B) is that the JPR-B has 10 fonts and 24 font sizes while the other two have 7 fonts and 17 font sizes.
Two websites said that the KDN-B and KBO-B have the same characteristics. But here is when things got complicated. Another website stated that the KBO's processor was a MX508 instead of just 508 but I guess this is the same.
Another difference is thata website stated that the KBO was able to read "PRC (Mobipocket)" format while the others said nothing. But I won't continue because the same seller with the same e-reader has often different characteristics in their own website and in their page in Amazon. For example, one of them states in its website that the software is "New and improved Kobo Desktop software" while in Amazon it says it runs Linux.
Damn, how is that such a simple thing is getting so complicated?
You are overcomplicating things. All these will run exactly the same firmware. It is possible they have different factory installed versions, but, during the set up process, the latest available is installed. Or you can manually install a different one if you want. Because of this, the different counts of font sizes, means either someone can't count or they misread info. The number of fonts is incorrect as well. The N905 and N905B models all start with the same number of fonts. The N905C models had a different number. And I don't remember the numbers.

As to the format support, all the Kobo ereaders from the Touch (all versions) and on, support exactly the same formats. They all support MOBI, though it isn't great support. This is because they all use the same basic firmware. The same goes for the desktop application. It is one version for all Kobo devices. When you download it, you will get the latest and it will check for a new version when started. As to the mention of Linux, all the devices are running Linux, but you never see it unless you want to do some hacking.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
champignac

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The N905C are the latest ones.
Hmmm... then that's what I'd like to get but I find them anywhere around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I haven't paid much attention to the full model number, but I have a N905B here with a broken screen. The box shows it is N905-KDN-B. I suspect that PeterT is right and the difference is packaging or simply the batch it was in.
Thanks for the feedback. Was the screen very fragile or how did you break it?

I've just noticed something else: most given dimensions of the Touch are 11.4 X 16.5 cm but I found a Canadian website with the KBO with 11.4 X 20.8 cm. How comes?

By the way, the last letter corresponds to: B (Black), S (silver), L (lilac), U (blue).
Old 09-12-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmmm... then that's what I'd like to get but I find them anywhere around here.
I assumed they stopped making the N905B models sometime last year so I am surprised they are still available.
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Was the screen very fragile or how did you break it?
Yes and no. There are enough reports of broken screens in all the different e-ink readers to know they break. This one was my mother-in-laws and I don't know what she did, but I suspect something was dropped in the middle of it.
Quote:
I've just noticed something else: most given dimensions of the Touch are 11.4 X 16.5 cm but I found a Canadian website with the KBO with 11.4 X 20.8 cm. How comes?
That second one is a mistake. All Touches are the same size.
Quote:
By the way, the last letter corresponds to: B (Black), S (silver), L (lilac), U (blue).
That makes sense.