Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sigil-2.2.0 Released

Sigil-2.2.0

Sigil version 2.2.0 represents a mix of bug fixes and new features. We strongly recommend updating to the latest release of Sigil as it includes a large number of third party security fixes. Depending on how stable this version turns out to be, this may represent the last version of Sigil to support Qt5.

New Features in this release
  • add support for Windows live switching from dark to light and light to dark modes
  • add support for Linux kde and gtk3 live switching from dark to light and light to dark modes
  • add new environment variable: SIGIL_PREVIEW_TIMEOUT (in milliseconds) to allow user control of the Preview updating intervals, valid range 100 - 10000. default value: 1000. Set only once at Sigil startup.
  • add new Find and Replace targets: Selected SVG files, Selected Javascript Files, and Selected Misc XML
  • add new Find and Replace Regular Expression menu option: Unicode Property (*UCP)
  • add ability to rename files when new name is just a case variant on case insensitive filesystems
  • extended the number of clips that can be assigned to toolbars (total now of 60 clips supported)
  • Accessibility improvements:
  • add abiity to highlight the widget with current focus (Thanks BeckyEbook)
  • add ability to double text insertion point width throughout Sigil
  • Extend Python Plugin Interface with info on preferred font mangling information
  • replacement strings in F&R can now use \x{hhhh} hex escape codes to represent unicode characters numerically

Other Changes
  • There will be no more built-in HighDPI settings in Sigil's prefs. If you have special needs in that regard, you can still set your own Qt highdpi environment variables.

Bug Fixes
  • reformating css with multiline now adds space after selector comma
  • add in bulk resource move and use bulk delete to handle epubs with thousands of files
  • add in bulk resource rename to handle epubs with thousands of files
  • if Replace has focus and Find done, CodeView should get focus (Thanks BeckyEbook)
  • fix dark mode Toolbar continuation symbols for Windows (Thank you BeckyEbook)
  • fixed bug in Save-As context menu action in ImageTabs
  • fix dark mode live switching on macOS issues qith QTreeView and QStandardItemModels
  • fix bug in missing CharToEntity in the Create TOC process
  • fix TabManager tab close symbol on macOS to match that used in dockwidgets
  • use Unciode NormalizationForm C inside Sigil and for io
  • fix macOS stuck at Maximized size issue

--------------------------------Notes -----------------------------------

The latest version of the Sigil User Guide can always be downloaded from the Sigil website, or from its own GitHub repository.

Please check the Sigil website for important Sigil support links, additional resource downloads, and platform-specific trouble-shooting tips/requirements.

The MacOS builds are signed but they are NOT notarized. See this PageEdit/Sigil issue for more information.

PGP Fingerprint (for signed tags and source archives):
Code:
B5A5 6206 AB0F BC1A 24EF AB8A A166 D29A 8FCD AC63
All Sigil binary (and source) downloads can also be found as assets at the bottom of The Sigil-2.2.0 Github Release page.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-22-2024 at 05:35 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:39 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Post reserved for future use.
Advert
Old 06-14-2024, 10:46 PM   #3
quocsan
Enthusiast
quocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it is

Device: none
Dear DiapDealer,
Version 2.2.0 on MacBook Air M2 (macOS 15 Sequoia Beta) does not save state of toolbar items.
quocsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:00 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by quocsan View Post
Dear DiapDealer,
Version 2.2.0 on MacBook Air M2 (macOS 15 Sequoia Beta) does not save state of toolbar items.
Does it work on a non MacOS beta?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:44 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Please just stay out of it, Jon. Kevin will troubleshoot this.
Advert
Old 06-15-2024, 08:52 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by quocsan View Post
Dear DiapDealer,
Can you please be more specific. What "state" is not being preserved? I just tested and I can move and hide various toolbars and they stay like that when Sigil is next launched.

Please attach a couple of screenshots showing the issue as it would help show the problem.

That said, Sigil only saves its state on close and so if you have two main windows open in the same Sigil app (something that can only happen in Sigil on MacOS) and hide clips in one but close it first, the one you close second will be the one whose state is saved. If you quit Sigil when more than one Window is open, it is pot luck as to which state will be remembered depending on the order they actually get the close signal. This has always been the case on MacOS. It will always remember the last closed state.

Also you might want to see if saving the epub, or resizing the Main window has any impact on which toolbars are being shown.

---

As far as I know, macOS Sequoia is in Preview mode only and only introduced last week.

And it has introduced Window tiling which can interfere with the any app controlling its own Window layout. As far as I know, Qt 6.6 and even Qt 6.8 are not Sequoia compatible either as Sequoia was only introduced last week. That said, Qt has tested things against their dev branch and seem to think there are no Qt widget issues: see https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-on-macos-15-sequoia

I am sorry, but there is *no* chance I would ever upgrade to a Preview release of macOS, especially as Mac OS has had numerous bugs of late that are not worked out until 3 or 4 point releases later. My build platforms are always one full macOS release back from the bleeding edge for stability reasons. I only have a single build machine for each variant of MacOS and can not risk running Beta software on either of them.

So my guess is this is a MacOS bug in its Beta, as nothing related to toolbar state was changed in the Sigil code, as Qt version 6.6.2 has had no changes in that area since the 2.1.0 release.

You should probably also report these issues to Apple via your developer account, and file a bug report directly with Qt if you can recreate this issue with any other Qt based software. So that whatever the cause of the issue, it gets addressed quickly.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-15-2024 at 10:27 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:02 AM   #7
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Both the new Sigil and PageEdit compiled perfectly on my Pop_os box, and a quick run-through on a big novel has found no glitches. Thank you, wonderful people!
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 11:37 AM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Both the new Sigil and PageEdit compiled perfectly on my Pop_os box, and a quick run-through on a big novel has found no glitches. Thank you, wonderful people!
Glad to hear it!
Old 06-15-2024, 08:39 PM   #9
quocsan
Enthusiast
quocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it isquocsan knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Can you please be more specific. What "state" is not being preserved? I just tested and I can move and hide various toolbars and they stay like that when Sigil is next launched.

Please attach a couple of screenshots showing the issue as it would help show the problem.
Dear KevinH,

Thank you very much for your reply and useful information.
I attach here some screenshots for clarifying the matter:
  • Figure 1: On opening, Sigil 2.2.0 show its toolbars (on macOS 15 beta, M2 Apple Silicon)
  • Figure 2: Starting to change state of toolbars (shown/hidden).
  • Figure 3: Final state of toolbars I wanted.
Then I closed Sigil. But the next time I opened Sigil, it displayed its toolbars as figure 1 without preserving any changes made.

I've tried to return to Sigil version 2.1.0 and it worked as expected: At first start, I've had to choose to show/hide the toolbars. But from the next use, the toolbars displayed as having been set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 – First open.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	208896   Click image for larger version

Name:	2 – Toolbars being shown-hidden.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	208897   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 – Toolbars after being set.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	208898  
Old 06-15-2024, 08:53 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@quocsan,

That is very strange. There have been no changes since Sigil-2.1.0 that would impact the state of toolbars.

I can not recreate what you are seeing at all. Did you try loading or saving an empty epub or resizing the Main Window as I suggested after making your toolbar changes? Does doing that impact anything?

The state of all toolbars and windows is remembered in the Sigil ini preferences file and that is shared (unchanged) from Sigil-2.1.0.

My guess is some new security feature is interfering with saving the updated preferences for Sigil 2.2.0 that is ignored for Sigil-2.1.0. Please try giving Sigil 2.2.0 full disk access in macOS Preferences and try changing settings again.

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited by KevinH; 06-15-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:12 PM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@quocsan,
Just tested a different mac laptop (my wife's) with Sigil-2.2.0 for arm64. It has never had Sigil installed on it. It exhibited similar issues to what you reported but only *before* it was given local disk access by asking it to load an epub from a local drive. Once it had prompted for local disk access permissions, it had no trouble at all with changing and saving the state of its toolbars.

So my guess is your new beta version is acting similarly with Sigil-2.2.0. So please try loading an epub from your local drive, granting it local disk access, and then try changing toolbar settings. Once Sigil has permission to read/write from your local disk, it will be able to save its settings ini file without it silently being ignored by the macOS.

This is just more macOS pseudo "security" nonsense. Needing to have the user "grant" local disk access to your home folder for a locally installed app is just for the birds.

My guess is they do not do this for "notarized" apps from the App Store but we will never use the App Store because of their silly rules.

KDE Plasma 6 on Manjaro is looking better and better to me!

Last edited by KevinH; 06-15-2024 at 09:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:28 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

@quocsan,

Are you by chance running Sigil in Full Screen or Maximized mode when you are trying to change the toolbar settings? If so, please test with a normal window (not FullScreen and not Maximized) to see if that has any bearing on the issue.
Old 06-15-2024, 09:37 PM   #13
quocsan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That is very strange. There have been no changes since Sigil-2.1.0 that would impact the state of toolbars.

I can not recreate what you are seeing at all. Did you try saving an empty epub or resizing the Main Window as I suggested after making your toolbar changes? Does doing that impact anything?

The state of all toolbars and windows is remembered in the Sigil ini preferences file and that is shared (unchanged) from Sigil-2.1.0.

My guess is some new security feature is interfering with saving the updated preferences for Sigil 2.2.0 that is ignored for Sigil-2.1.0. Please try giving Sigil 2.2.0 full disk access in macOS Preferences and try changing settings again.

Please let us know what you find.
Dear KevinH,

Having given 2.2.0 full disk access, I've tried saving an empty pub. Result: State of toolbars was not saved, the screen sometimes got flashing.
But when I tried to resize main windows, Sigil 2.2.0 could save state of toolbars.

I notice that if I quit Sigil when main windows is in full-screen mode, then on next start, Sigil seems to reset state of toolbars.

My temporary fix for now: Separatedly keep “sigil_v6.ini’ file with desired state of toolbars. Whenever toolbars in Sigil 2.2.0 display unexpectedly, I’ll use this file to overwrite that of v2.2.0.

Once again, thank you for your quick-and-so-helpful reply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-16 at 7.59.33 AM.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	208902  
Old 06-15-2024, 09:50 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, because of issues with macOS getting "stuck" in maximized or full screen modes, we had to stop trying to save the Window state when Sigil is maximized. That change worked to fix the macOS getting stuck issue. Your inability to save state until resized is related I think. I will check to see if there is a way to still save state even if maximized.
Old 06-16-2024, 06:26 PM   #15
KevinH
Sigil Developer

FWIW, I took a peek at the code in MainWindow related to saving and restoring toolbar state in Sigil's v6 ini file and nothing changed with SaveState and RestoreState in this release compared to the previous one. So I do think there is a bug in macOS Sequoia Beta related to saving state.