Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old Today, 06:03 AM   #1
galax
galax began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post png or base64 for speed rendering?

Greets,

There are too many options for image formats.

Recently I thought about base64 format to use for my images. My idea is for the ereader to reduce its decoding to the max in order to save battery.

The appeal of base64 is two-fold, first it's can be compressed in text format, secondly somehow text seems to take less cpu cycles to process.

The images are monochrome, not even in grey scale, so the content is ideal for good compression algorithm/format.

Has anyone experimented with base64 images on epubs?

Thanks.
galax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:18 AM   #2
estral
Just trying to survive
estral doesn't litterestral doesn't litterestral doesn't litter

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014
I've used base64 for embedding images in epubs before, and it worked pretty well for me. Since your images are monochrome, you should get decent compression. Just keep in mind that while base64 can save on decoding time, it might increase the overall file size compared to standard image formats. It’s worth experimenting to see if the battery savings balance out with the file size trade-off.
estral is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert