Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-17-2022, 10:54 PM   #1
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2e, Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Paperwhite
If you've recently upgraded to a newer model Kobo, what model did you choose and why?

I have two older model Kobos that I've been using for the past few years. A Kobo Glo HD and a Kobo Aura One. I think it's time to upgrade to something new, but I'm not sure which Kobo model to choose. I like the screen size of the Clara HD, but it seems like it would be too old to really count as an upgrade. The Libra 2 looks interesting, but I've never had a reader with the side panel/buttons before. I wonder if it's comfortable to hold one-handed. I can't make up my mind which one to get.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:56 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I have two older model Kobos that I've been using for the past few years. A Kobo Glo HD and a Kobo Aura One. I think it's time to upgrade to something new, but I'm not sure which Kobo model to choose. I like the screen size of the Clara HD, but it seems like it would be too old to really count as an upgrade. The Libra 2 looks interesting, but I've never had a reader with the side panel/buttons before. I wonder if it's comfortable to hold one-handed. I can't make up my mind which one to get.
My ereader of choice is the Kobo Sage which I have no issues holding one-handed. My wife has no issues with holding her Libra 2 with one hand. She prefers the Libra 2 as a better fit for her purses .
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
anesthezea
Groupie
anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anesthezea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2e, Kobo Libra Colour, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My ereader of choice is the Kobo Sage which I have no issues holding one-handed. My wife has no issues with holding her Libra 2 with one hand. She prefers the Libra 2 as a better fit for her purses .
Thank you for your comments! I do like to carry my ereader around in a bag when I go out. I had not been considering that, so thank you for the reminder.
anesthezea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I bought both the Sage and the Libra 2. No problem with holding either one of them one-handed.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:13 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthezea View Post
I have a Kobo Aura H2O that I've had for about six years. I decided it was time for a new Kobo. I was thinking of the 8" Sage, but the battery life is just too poor for my liking. So I went with the Libra 2 and I do find it comfortable to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 11:19 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
The biggest improvement you would see going from a Glo HD to a Clara is the warm lighting. I really didn't think that would be much of a thing. But I appreciate it now, when reading in the dark (which I do, a lot) and wouldn't buy a reader without it.

I'm happy with a 6" screen. But if my Clara were suddenly blown up by gremlins, I'd likely replace it with a Libra 2. Kobo really seems to have created a winner with it.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 11:26 AM   #7
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
The Clara is a very nice reader. I'm not even tempted by the new models.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 12:01 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
That's the way I look at it. If you like 6" readers the Clara is the best that Kobo has to offer and it's a really good reader.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:08 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
That's the way I look at it. If you like 6" readers the Clara is the best that Kobo has to offer and it's a really good reader.
But if you've never tried a Reader with a larger (then 6") screen, I suggest you do if you can as it's worth it. I went for a 6.8" screen when it was first available and I am glad I did. 6" (now) seems too small.
Old 05-19-2022, 12:48 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But if you've never tried a Reader with a larger (then 6") screen, I suggest you do if you can as it's worth it. I went for a 6.8" screen when it was first available and I am glad I did. 6" (now) seems too small.
I have both a 6.8" and a 7.8" reader. I don't like the 7.8" one at all, too heavy and the fonts are too big (unless I want to read impossibly long lines in normal sized fonts, which I don't). I don't hate the 6.8" reader, but I still like the 6" readers best. The size is more comfortable for reading (for me). I think it's a personal preference — no "one size fits all."
Old 05-19-2022, 10:42 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I have both a 6.8" and a 7.8" reader. I don't like the 7.8" one at all, too heavy and the fonts are too big (unless I want to read impossibly long lines in normal sized fonts, which I don't). I don't hate the 6.8" reader, but I still like the 6" readers best. The size is more comfortable for reading (for me). I think it's a personal preference — no "one size fits all."
You may have found the Kobo Forma a better fit as it was not as heavy because of the lighter weight plastic backed screen.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:10 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
You may have found the Kobo Forma a better fit as it was not as heavy because of the lighter weight plastic backed screen.
I can't say. I would have liked the fact that it was lighter — but I'm not sure about the shape and, if there was any LED issues, I wouldn't have liked that they would go down the whole side of reader instead of just across the bottom. But even if the lighting was perfect and I learned to like the Forma's shape and design, their would still be the issue (for me) of either the fonts being too big or the lines too long. That's just inherent in the size of the screen.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:00 PM   #13
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I bought an Elipsa recently. I realize that I have always progressed towards bigger ereaders (aside from color) I started with a Paperwhite, then the Kobo Aura One and now Elipsa. I think I've found the right size now but who knows.

Last edited by ps67; 05-20-2022 at 12:45 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:04 PM   #14
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I agree with you that is very nice... after having tried bigger readers
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 04:08 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
I've tried... and they are in a drawer, I still use the Clara mainly (at some moment Aura One, Forma never, and Elipsa... not tempted).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, upgrade