Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Have you ever purchased a public-domain eBook?
Yes 8 66.67%
Yes, by accident (didn't realize it was PD) 1 8.33%
No 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Have you ever purchased a public-domain eBook?

I noticed Kobo had a sale for a bunch of PD eBooks which made me wonder about this.

Question is in the title. Note that if it wasn't in the PD at the time (e.g. The Great Gatsby before a few years ago), it doesn't count. Neither do physical copies.

A few years ago, I accidentally purchased an eBook and read it before realizing I could've gotten it from Project Gutenberg. It was less than a dollar so I wasn't too upset.

Last edited by ownedbycats; Yesterday at 07:42 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have to say I don't know. Maybe I have and I no longer remember, or I have done so unknowingly. I'd have to check most of my calibre library to know for sure, as any PD books I have there aren't specifically marked/tagged as such.

So I didn't vote.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 07:57 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Dang, I can't find an option to edit a poll
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM   #4
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I did, back in the early 2010's during my dark ages of ebook knowledge.

Saw Treasure Island, Alice in Wonderland, Mary Poppins and a few others at a very cheap price of a couple of dollars on Amazon, so quickly snapped them up.

It was only a few years later that I realised that these were public domain books and I could have avoided the cost.
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There are two situations where I'll purchase a public domain book.

When the front matter is significant. A Penguin or Oxford edition, for example. Price does matter here; I'll pay a few bucks for it, but otherwise I'll go with the free version.

When it's a case of a recent and better translation. I know this is apples and oranges to an extent, but I mention it because good translations matter. No point in struggling with an archaic translation of a challenging work when a recent translation would make it accessible.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 01:04 AM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I purchased several PD books when I knew the company that produced the editions had put the work in to produce a better formatted edition compared to Gutenberg. It was worth the 99¢ per book rather than editing the books myself.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:53 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Sometimes, even though it's PD, there is isn't even a scan availble. Sometimes there is only a scan, but in that case I won't pay much.

Newer translations don't count as PD because a translation has its own copyright. It's irrelevant that the source is PD. Of course if the source isn't PD, then a translation must be authorised and pay a royalty to original source.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:55 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I purchased several PD books when I knew the company that produced the editions had put the work in to produce a better formatted edition compared to Gutenberg. It was worth the 99¢ per book rather than editing the books myself.
That can be true too, but I bought complete set of books that Jane Austin mentions and they were very poor formatting and proof from OCR.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 AM   #9
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Not knowingly, but I wouldn't rule it out if the edition was nice enough. Typically I don't want to read older books enough to pay for them.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote