Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM   #1
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
TCL Nxtpaper 14 tablet available on sale

TCL's 14.3" Android tablet using their nxtpaper 3.0 screen ("e-ink like") is available for sale in the UK (I've found it at Amazon and Argos so far) and other regions. £399.

https://www.tcl.com/global/en/tablets/tcl-nxtpaper-14
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4073215
https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCL-NXTPAPE.../dp/B0DCJVWFZQ

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:17 AM   #2
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Hmmm… It would be quite tempting for my non-fiction PDFs in double page layout
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 02:56 AM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Hmmm… It would be quite tempting for my non-fiction PDFs in double page layout
Exactly. I've been wanting an e-ink device to read large comics and full colour magazines for years. This is the closest thing I've seen so far even if it isn't actually e-ink.

Andrew
Old Today, 08:35 AM   #4
Gormagon
monstrous mythical beast
Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gormagon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tab Ultra C, Meebook P78 Pro, TCL 40Nxtpaper, TCL Nxtpaper11
I am disappointed with the specifications of the TCL Nxtpaper 14. It only has 2400x1600 px, no MicroSD slot and weighs 760 g. That's quite heavy when you want to hold the tablet in your hand(s) for longer.

I have the Lenovo Tab P12 with Matte Display which is smaller (293.37 x 190.76 x 6.9 mm with camera bump 8.42 mm versus 322.41 x 222.02 x 6.95) but has a higer resolution with 2944x1840 px and weighs less (615 g). But these 615 g can become quite heavy after an hour or so. The Lenovo has only 128 GB storage (versus 256 GB), but the Lenovo has a MicroSD slot.

TCL makes no mentions of future Android updates on the webseite for the EU (see link below). For other devices like the TCL 50 PRO NXTPAPER 5G phone they do mention how long updates will be supported. The Lenovo tablet will get at least Android 15 and "four years of security updates until 2027".
The Lenovo tablet also has a fingerprint reader, the TCL tablet has none.

I also have the Nxtpaper 11 tablet and the TCL 50 PRO NXTPAPER 5G (as well as the prior version 40 with 4G). I really like the matte Nxtpaper displays but I really don't see much difference to the matte display on the Lenovo tablet (or the Huawei MatePad 11.5 S).

The switch button on the 50 PRO NXTPAPER 5G is rather useless in my opinion. I can't read a book (epub, pdf…) in the Max Ink Mode because there's no app for it in this mode. Could be connected to the fact that I disabled as many Google services/apps as possible. I don't know. You can't select your favourite reading app that will work in the Max Ink Mode. I assume the switch button on the tablet works similar.
I also can't select a wallpaper in the Ink Paper or the Color Paper Mode on my Nxtpaper phones. So these modes are always with an off-white background on the home screen, which isn't optimal for using in the evening/night.

Nevertheless I prefer these matte displays over the glossy ones on other phones/tablets and I guess I will not buy any devices with a glossy screen ever again.

------------------

Data of the tablets according to https://www.tcl.com/eu/en/tablets/tcl-nxtpaper-14 and https://psref.lenovo.com/product/tab...splay?tab=spec
Gormagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #5
andyh2000
Avid reader

12" (Lenovo Tab P12) just isn't quite enough for me for comfortably reading a full size A4 PDF or a two page comic or magazine spread. That's what I've been waiting for.

Andrew
Advert