Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Question Can't sideload books (again!) onto my original Glo

Hi guys

I have a Kobo Glo circa 2012. For the basic function of just reading, I love it and have no requirement for any type of upgrade. I can still read on it no problem but can't connect via USB any longer as I think the port on the device is broken.

As I sideload my books from Calibre this is obviously a problem. However, last year when this happened I got some advice from some lovely folks on this forum and started to use the content server wireless connection feature. Great. With using an SD card as an optional extra.

Now, a couple of weeks ago the download feature on the Kobo via the content server wireless connection feature stopped working. I can connect and see the books available in my library, or change to another library (I have multiples in my Calibre) and I can press the epub button which then brings up the "File Download" button but when I click the continue button, the download box opens but then closes real quick and then nothing else happens. It used to then show the download as complete and then ask me if I wanted to open the file or not.

Ok, so I still have a micro SD card to use, so I did. A few times, no problem.

Then, all of a sudden yesterday, after using the card to upload a book a couple of days before, I got a message on the Kobo telling me that it couldn't read the card. Then after a few times of removing and reinserting it with nothing happening other than the screen flashing, it now tells me to reformat the card to FAT32 (it is 1GB FAT16). . That's after about a year of no issues. The card works fine for me to transfer books from Calibre (my laptop) onto, but won't then transfer them over to the Kobo.

Can anyone offer any advice please?

I have ordered a new SD card so hopefully this solves that issue, but am losing my mind over this. It would be one thing If I couldn't read anything on the device, but to be able to read stuff but not be able to load on content of my own in a format of my choice is beyond frustrating! And I'm not in a position to buy a new device even if I wanted to.

ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The download function is broken in recent firmware versions but was fixed in the 9960 build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2017, 11:57 AM   #3
ilovereading.com
Connoisseur
ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.ilovereading.com knows the difference between a duck.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
The download function is broken in recent firmware versions but was fixed in the 9960 build.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Hi

So it was a software update issue?

I don't know what the 9960 build means or how it can help me?
ilovereading.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovereading.com View Post
Hi

So it was a software update issue?

I don't know what the 9960 build means or how it can help me?
"9960 build" refers to the version of firmware Kobo released last week. The full version number is 4.6.9960 and is discussed in this thread. This has a fix for the downloading from via the browser bug. Unfortunately, due to a performance problem in the firmware, Kobo stopped rolling it out over the weekend.

Exactly what you should do depends on the firmware version you are running. This is shown on the "Device information" page of the settings. There has been two recent problems with the external SD card. One is with sideloading kepubs onto it, the other is the card is ignored if it doesn't have a label. I cannot think of any other issues. Both of these problems have been fixed in later firmware.

I do occasionally get a problem when inserting the card, but it usually means I fumbled when I was inserting the card and it didn't register properly. When this happens, the message I see is frequently the message you are seeing. Popping it out and back in always solves this.

It is possible that a firmware update has dropped support for FAT16 formatted SD cards. All of mine are formatted as FAT32, so I wouldn't have hit this problem. It could also be Windows messing with the card in a way that the device doesn't like (yes, if all else fails, blame Windows ). Whatever is happening, I would recommend reformatting the card, or another as FAT32. Between the long file name handling and things like the limited number of files in the root directory, FAT32 is the better format for the card.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote