Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 AM   #1
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Why are there no E-Ink screens on the market?

Whenever there is mention of larger E-Readers there are also people who are planning to use them as a word-processing screen. Let alone that there are few (two, if I'm not mistaken, Sony's DPT-S1 and the Pocketbook CAD) devices which actually have a suitable screen size, those would have to be hacked in order to use them for anything the firmware was not designed for.

All this (and my very own being annoyed of the lack of options) suggests the question why is no one selling a "plain" E-Ink Screen of adequate size, yet?

There is E-Ink Holding and yet, they are not providing the trivial option to just buy an E-Ink screen, which would be but a technical banality to manufacture and practically little to no finanical risk. There is a plethora of "crowd funding" campaings collecting money for the most ridiculous of endevours ($50,000 for a bowl of potato salad should sound familiar), yet, no one has heard of any project, aiming to provide just the most basic large E-Reader or just an E-Ink screen?

Am I missing something here? Why is E-Ink so hard to come by?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #2
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
I think a larger screen is going to be crucial for the development of the electronic textbook business. Most ereaders and phones are just too small to be useable with PDF files.

Will that larger screen be eink? I don't know. Eink is certainly easier on the eyes for reading a long time. But it would have to be color to be used with textbooks.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I think a larger screen is going to be crucial for the development of the electronic textbook business. Most ereaders and phones are just too small to be useable with PDF files.
Two solutions are being developed:

1- Don't rely on PDF, but rather use an actual ebook format. Preferably epub3-derived...
2- Don't use eInk, but rather use the much cheaper color LCD tech.

eInk is not the only viable road to electronic textbooks and PDFs are actually contraindicated for a sophisticated etextbook platform, which really needs live embedded objects.

More importantly, neither the big textbook companies nor their hardware partners are interested in eink for textbook use. That hope died with Kindle DX and the lawsuits.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Word processing on eInk you say?

OK it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it might be worth following.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #5
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I don't know that there's that much demand for a stand-alone e-ink screen.
So manufacturers are understandably reluctant to take the risk involved in releasing such a product.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Large eInk is ideal for a market as large as textbooks and much more lucrative.

Architectural blueprints.

Thirty six by thirty six inch eInk could be very profitable if the durability was there and if the price could be held down to maybe seven or eight thousand dollars. Changes to the blueprints made during construction could be updated to every copy needed in real time, while maintaining an accurate record of who authorized each change and when each change was made.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I don't know that there's that much demand for a stand-alone e-ink screen.
So manufacturers are understandably reluctant to take the risk involved in releasing such a product.
That argument doesn't fit in with my picture.

http://www.eink.com/faq.html

Quote:
What does E Ink sell?

E Ink sells display modules to device makers who wish to integrate our reflective displays into their application. […]
E-Ink Holding is producing items and sells them. Maybe I'm just being ignorant and they would actually sell me a random 13 inch screen if I went asking, but something tells me that it's not that easy.

In either case, it doesn't look like a lot of "additional manufacturing" or "risk" to me. The screens are there, and given how many folks are programming their own Raspberry Pi these days, I bet there is a market for a few "stand alone" E-Inks screen, too. I certainly would buy one. Then why can't I?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:29 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post

Hehehe, I was using TakeNote on my PW2 before I sold it. Markdown and Fountain are your friend.

It's really hard to squeeze information from one page in a book, into the five it ends up being in ePub.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManDay View Post
E-Ink Holding is producing items and sells them. Maybe I'm just being ignorant and they would actually sell me a random 13 inch screen if I went asking, but something tells me that it's not that easy.
They will sell you anything you want, provided they can produce it.

However, it will be a development kit, will not be in a case, may cost a fair bit, and you may have to convince them that your serious about using their screen in your product.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 05:08 PM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post

Wow. That is kinda cool.
Assuming they mean it, about the keyboards.

The whole rush to thin has left portable computers with really crappy chiclet keyboards that wouldn't have been tolerated on an 80's home computer. (Spectravision, MSX, etc).
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Alphasmart has some inexpensive (on ebay) older devices - LCD, not eink, but a long, long battery life, good keyboard, and very rugged.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:35 AM   #12
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
They will sell you anything you want, provided they can produce it.

However, it will be a development kit, will not be in a case, may cost a fair bit, and you may have to convince them that your serious about using their screen in your product.
"My product"? Here is the problem: I'm not intending to produce anything, just build a device for my own. I don't think they sell single items to individuals (not at reasonable prices, that is).

Last edited by ManDay; 10-20-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 AM   #13
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

Am I missing something here? Why is E-Ink so hard to come by?
It depends on your whereabouts

http://www.leprogres.fr/beaujolais/2...e-bus-caladois

http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/

Last edited by markom; 10-20-2014 at 04:54 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #14
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
"My product"? Here is the problem: I'm not intending to produce anything, just build a device for my own. I don't think they sell single items to individuals (not at reasonable prices, that is).
eInk will be happy to sell you a development kit.

http://www.eink.com/developer_center.html
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
ManDay
E-Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
eInk will be happy to sell you a development kit.

http://www.eink.com/developer_center.html
I'm unsure as to whether you're making a joke, are ignorant of my concern or trying to mock me...