Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Nick_Djinn
Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nick_Djinn is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Boox, Pocketbook, Asus
Touch screen quality

This is my OPINION based on what I have READ.

""Touch Screens" are not necessarily a problem. Its a certain TYPE of touch screen that is sub par. The Wacom screens that are BENEATH the e-ink that require a stylus are are example of a technology that should not decrease screen quality. There is also a capacitive touch screen that wont decrease the quality of the screen I believe, though I dont know the details. I think its the pressure screens that are ABOVE the e-ink that create glare and loss of clarity. "

Is this true for anyone else? What about the NEW generation Sony Daily edition....not the 900 with glare, the 950 with (pearl?).

The Onxy Boox requires a stylus, but its a powerhouse for a reader and supposedly the screen quality is excellent.
Nick_Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
The new generation Sony touch screen is amazing. You barely have to touch the screen and can use anything to touch. Fingers work, as do toothpicks, the included stylus and on one memorable occasion for me, my nose. There is no decrease in screen clarity from the touchscreen.

My current favorite toy is my Nook Color, mainly because I do 75% of my reading at night, in the dark, after going to bed, so find the backlit screen the best for me. But my favorite e-ink reader of the many I've tried is my PRS-650.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 02:50 AM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
a stylus is so old tech
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
a stylus is so old tech
still newer tech than a button
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #5
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I have been using a Sony 950 since it was released (I preordered it). It has been fantastic. My previous reader was the Sony 505, whose screen was considered a gold standard. The 950's screen is significantly better to my eyes and there is no glare or smudging. Well worth the money. FWIW, the same screen and technology are also used in the new Sony 350 and 650 models. None of these models have the glare problems of the 300/600/900 models.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
you actually dont have to touch the new sony displays at all. they are use infrared "touch" display. there are infrared emitting leds along 2 edges of the display and receptors on the opposite. your fingers interrupt the beams and the system inter prates that as a touch at a certain location.

works just the same as a store's door chime just much smaller.

http://www.neonode.com/
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sony's latest IR LED system is almost perfect. I notice two flaws in my 650. It consumes energy. Not a lot but it does shorten battery life by some number of days. And it is sensitive to dropped crumbs of a certain size (or a fly) thinking it is a finger press, lol. Not a deal-breaker for me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
How responsive is the new Sony screen? Any noticeable lag? Is it good for note taking?
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM   #9
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
FWIW, the same screen and technology are also used in the new Sony 350 and 650 models. None of these models have the glare problems of the 300/600/900 models.
The 300 doesn't have a glare problem as it doesn't have a touch screen.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:59 AM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
a stylus is so old tech

I have a Wacom tablet device for my Pc with a stylus. It serves magnificently well it's purpose for drawing, painting and writing.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I have a Wacom tablet device for my Pc with a stylus. It serves magnificently well it's purpose for drawing, painting and writing.
I think that the poster was alluding to stylus technology being a bit older than that.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
sircastor
Reader
sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.sircastor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoe View Post
How responsive is the new Sony screen? Any noticeable lag? Is it good for note taking?
The new touch screen is incredibly responsive, and lightning fast. All of the complaints that I ever had about Sony touchscreens in the past were resolved with my 650. I love it.

While it's capable of notetaking, I don't really consider it the ideal device for such. I've typed notes on the screen for fun. It's fast enough to keep up. I think it's limitations are software and the keyboard size itself. The software wasn't really written for note taking (like input software on a smartphone), so it doesn't do things like smart character correction or spelling-error correction.

It's not good for handwritten notes either.
sircastor is offline   Reply With Quote