Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #1
mmorrell
mmorrell began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Paperwhite
Thumbs down 3 10th Gen Kindles bricked

Any help is appreciated.

I have had 3 10th Gen paperwhites sent to me, and all of them have done the same thing...

I fully charged the device, Went through setup and connecting to wifi. After successfully registering the device, I went to my library and downloaded a book. After downloading, it would not open the book... Clicking on it did nothing. I turned it off and restarted. Got a screen that says Swipe to unlock. Swiping does nothing.

I held power for 20 seconds or so and it rebooted and downloaded and installed the update. When it restarted, it went to the screen with the boy under the tree and that's it.

THREE TIMES they have replaced the device, and THREE TIMES they have done exactly the same thing! WHAT IS T%HE PROBLEM? DOES ANYONE have one of these that actually works?

I have recharged the device to the green light, done the 40 second reset about 20 times. Same thing.

I'm giving up - How can they sell this thing if it fails like this out of the box THREE TIMES? I am so disappointed and disillusioned with Amazon regarding this issue.

ANY help is appreciated!
mmorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #2
DrD123
Connoisseur
DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrD123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have you been downloading the books via whispersync (wifi) or directly from your computer? If you've done the same thing all three times, try the other and see if you get the same result. There are more than a couple of people with 10th gen paperwhites that are working just fine, so there is likely something going wrong that's not hardware related. For the update, you could try downloading directly from Amazon or doing the over the wifi (whichever one you haven't tried yet) and see if that's the issue. Maybe there's security software causing the problem or something simple like that?
DrD123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Two quick questions... Have you tried the 40 second reset? (I think the Paperwhite 4, 10th generation still has that option. Others may know for sure.) Have you tried to load the same book all three times? There may be something wrong with the book.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try a book bought directly from Amazon or one of the Kindle eBooks available on the forum. That will let you know if it is whatever it is you are trying to load is causing the problem.

Problems with eBooks can cause a problem with the Reader and not just Kindles. I've read of plenty of other Readers having problems with content that has errors. make sure what I am loading has been validated and I've never had a problem with a Reader because of a bad eBook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Did you download the same book each time?

As mentioned, there could be problems with the ebook itself. I've had something similar happen to me with one of my ebooks (Amanda Quick - Deception) and it exhibited the same issue on multiple devices (PW2, PW3 and PW4).

The azw3 download worked fine, though. Just the kfx that was causing problems.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
10th gen paperwhite