Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
jellymot3474
jellymot3474 began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab 4
very frustrated with connection issues

Ok so my galaxy tab 2 loved CC, now I upgraded to a tab 4 and it's a nightmare. At first no problems. took me 2 hours to get my books on there. I think this is where my problem started - Began running out of memory and told the app to store books on the SD card in a different folder from the one it suggested not knowing that you couldn't do it the same way as before because of 4.4 - this is where I think I got the connection issue.

When calibre wouldn't connect I used the wired connection and loaded books. The program says the books are on device but weren't showing in the app. I tried all the fixits on here for wireless and lost count of what I did and didn't try - tried the fixed port, tried the automatic, tried using the content server. Tried going in to windows and making the network private where it was public before, tried enabling sharing, checked the app was allowed on both windows (disabled but figured I'd make sure) and Z alarm firewalls. Tried reinstalling the app (to which I then lost ALL the books in the library and they showed up in my nook app instead). Tried reinstalling the caliber program on the computer and I'm still in the same place. CC won't connect wirelessly or to content server, there are no books in my library yet calibre says all my books are on device (this part I understand because the books are in the nook folder on the SD). Tried moving them back to the suggested folder but they still don't show in CC app.

I tested the content server through the computer - working fine. I have internet on both devices. I'm at a loss now what to do. I can't figure out why it's not connecting wirelessly and now I''m without my organizer. I'm concerned I've messed with so many settings trying to fix it that more that one thing may be wrong now. Still no connection to content server or wireless.

Device is Galaxy Tab 4. It's not rooted and I just got it. I have other apps on there but nothing I can see getting in the way.
jellymot3474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sorry about all the troubles...

It sounds like you have been down so many rabbit holes that the best approach now is to start over. But before we start that process, a few comments are in order.
  • CC does not play well with a cabled connection. You shouldn't use both. I know that if CC was working you probably wouldn't have tried the cable, but it is worth noting for the future.
  • Kitkat seems to be very picky about what app creates what folders. We have had reports that if CC's special SD card folder was created by something other than CC on the device then it didn't work.
  • You mention the Nook app. It is possible that it requires its own special SD card folder. If this is true then CC and the Nook app will not be able to work together when books are on the SD card. We will see.

Question: do you still have the tab 2? If so, does it connect?

Lets start at the beginning. The idea is to first make connections work. Once we get past that hurdle then we will work on making the SD card work.

The steps:
  1. Uninstall CC.
  2. On the SD card, delete the folder (and any subfolders) named Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid. Do not delete Android/data.
  3. Install CC. Be sure you are running the latest version, V3.5.9.
  4. Without changing any settings, attempt to connect to calibre as a wireless device. If connecting works, disconnect without sending any books and go to "If connections work" below. If connecting doesn't work we need to look at what is happening on the computer running calibre.
    Some notes:
    • The network on the calibre machine must be set to "home". You mentioned playing with this setting, so ensure that it is not "public".
    • Calibre must be listed in your firewall. You mention zone alarm. I don't know how one configures ZA, but I suspect that you do.
    • If you have changed your wireless router then we might need to explore its settings.
At this point connections should work. If they do not then post here to let us know and we will start exploring why.

If connections work then:
  1. We want to switch CC to using the SD card. Follow the instructions in the FAQ answer How do I change the folder(s) on my device where the books are stored?. When you get to the point of selecting a folder you should see a "Use SD card" button at the bottom of the screen. Tap that button and follow directions. Once you have pressed OK enough times to get back to the settings screen, press back to get back to the (empty) booklist.
  2. Connect to calibre. If this fails then there is a problem with switching to the SD Card. We will need a CC debug log, but we will worry about this if the situation arises.
  3. If connecting succeeds then send a book from calibre.
  4. If sending a book succeeds then disconnect, go to book details for the book and choose "Read". A reader should open or the Reader Choice dialog should appear.
  5. Verify that you can actually read the book.
At this point CC, your device, and calibre should be working well together. Reconnect to calibre and send the books you want on the device.

Please feel free to post questions about anything I wrote here or if things don't seem right while following the steps.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert