Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #1
Muck0035
Muck0035 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2018
IP address blacklisted

Hello, I've been using GMX to send to Kindle for many months now, but starting in beginning of November Amazon has been rejecting the emails.

Test emails go out fine, but I noticed when sending to my Gmail account the email would go to the Spam folder.

I've set up the GMX credentials in Calibre just like the FAQ says through the "Use GMX" button. But in the header information I can't tell if it's sending via mail relay or not?

Here's the message I receive in my GMX inbox:

Code:
This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of
its recipients. This is a permanent error.

The following address failed:

EMAILTOKINDLEADDRESS@kindle.com:
        SMTP error from remote server for RCPT TO command, host: inbound-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com (205.251.243.46) reason: 550 5.7.1 IP address blacklisted by recipient

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

Received: from localhost.localdomain ([MY.COMPUTERS.IP.ADDRESS]) by mail.gmx.net
 (mrgmx105 [212.227.17.174]) with ESMTPSA (Nemesis) id
 1Mkpap-1oZpc0022h-00mLYO for
 <EMAILTOKINDLEADDRESS@kindle.com>; Fri, 02 Dec 2022
 05:08:44 +0100
To: EMAILTOKINDLEADDRESS@kindle.com
Subject: JGvdd7cMRm5KRBZtPvHg7A
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2022 12:08:34 +0800
Message-Id: <71d013c2-16de-4a80-b3ff-7dad299e7cae@gmx.us>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/mixed; boundary="===============0271945473658277638=="
X-Provags-ID: V03:K1:A3qKhKfC0Ah3Zc6YOvF48nSzstl3zF3xvpeb/mDJzrYR0NywJDJ
 /z+ZP2CtOpSz2dVGaZ45cvIc1Jalkix5wkqd4YQgg7yJxooJxpEfkFDrZ7cVRKtDS19BEN4
 PHByrFEz+UL6ig8KhNX0DBG7x2GRXrz06okHfvw1fgELd4VnnZdYh0bhHVKV1ILqr9QMQhc
 jNoxeGJLSKm9EvqRTKCvQ==
X-Spam-Flag: YES
UI-OutboundReport: junk:10;M01:P0:KC63WtnsTeI=;EqmnamdN4NXwlaeBeUJ9mMgI4ne9C
 e6k1iy6SLl5KCb7evhIkDt0Dr1YdlUZvByPr/Jj2snA9cRoKd1sGqIKhcolfym0e7iVB02gdS
 WXjKGgDQDz2sfrJgmjs7e96ooEaxUhVf2dXIsy3N8yD4n4e555J6vIqBYtEydDXV4eszSmjd3
 HHtUZcWFmZ/xi6TuuDcpWazXcEuNZfNhF97ady4HXLwU3xP5nXZAEvTduF7dLs0MTItTekuew
 nCFRNg5kNlrlPhfPe29ZjNDFoD92kOBFCrrRJ2PFqcIKh2O0eNBTDGqxsroafn4ndCobd565M
 irPq7R6qcAG1/BLvZP82iz4wGl1hbtrp2sFNR06LY9wDmKtPOr2l7bDgksaepEr5XYwLUBHQz
 RVZNN4AQGdyqk8bDUSOaTKd0s/7AocXKymMx63s8ajeG/9ixle0h1E3MKeZafIsMBlOwmzJ1+
 XsuWA2g7mhif/TzppxjuOMxsMm1vxHSs0QBGeb4ert71cTjtxFDhBG89nGjBH38x/fmd6Znd4
 2uRCpksmaa4hLUBxCJvho6gWeulna+xELQ4W5Gg/1wY5LBxWXoTH6nxUOxLcUH63E5w4o2oJs
 LJFLiMWC+pGXjwjWQlKFH3mQFQwrY6cj29V7rblycbKJOG+X8Lil0/+83eTGI1yjAZ2+h3o3O
 XDMNj1za7CAOk2RyZmMGaXJ93DVJjt/DLt7OKWTXvXvIpqK6FQSIBjENmCpTdZ8Hp3WgmI7bc
 3mAzReGfCs/Wj+0C+Na83whBFTMkXAaBgtLmjQT3ting+1pw1AP2HMfDT1xXgsItjd3wp3UTF
 G/f6q1aQMxy0swhQEtG2wQ==
Muck0035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 12:56 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You havent setup the relay correctly. Click the Use GMX button in the email preferences and fill in all the information.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Muck0035

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You havent setup the relay correctly. Click the Use GMX button in the email preferences and fill in all the information.
Hi Kovid, that’s the thing, I’ve already tried clearing all the login information and my Kindle address, then clicked the Use GMX button to enter all my information again, but the result is the same.

Is there any other troubleshooting information I can look for to help diagnose the issue?
Old 12-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt you have done what you think you have done. Post a screenshot of the email settings.
Old 12-02-2022, 08:25 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One question is if you went to GMX, logged in and enabled POP/IMAP/SMTP for your account? See the attached image.

Have you tested sending an email from your GMX account to another of your email accounts from the GMX web page or using the test button in calibre's Send to email preferences?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gmx_email_settings.png
Views:	355
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	198135  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2022, 09:16 AM   #6
Muck0035

Quote:
I doubt you have done what you think you have done. Post a screenshot of the email settings.
Thanks, I've attached my settings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpeg
Views:	314
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	198145  
Old 12-03-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Looks OK, then click the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner that should get you the log for the email job.
Old 12-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #8
Muck0035

Quote:
Looks OK, then click the rotating spinner in the bottom right corner that should get you the log for the email job.
Here's the log with personal information removed:

Code:
Starting job: Email Bloomberg Businessweek [December 5, 2022] to EMAIL@kindle.com 
connect: to ('mail.gmx.com', 587) None 
reply: b'220 gmx.net (mrgmx005) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready\r\n' 
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'gmx.net (mrgmx005) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready' 
connect: b'gmx.net (mrgmx005) Nemesis ESMTP Service ready' 
send: 'ehlo localhost.localdomain\r\n' 
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [118.166.XXX.XXX]\r\n' 
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n' 
reply: b'250-SIZE 69920427\r\n' 
reply: b'250 STARTTLS\r\n' 
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [118.166.XXX.XXX]\n8BITMIME\nSIZE 69920427\nSTARTTLS' 
send: 'STARTTLS\r\n' 
reply: b'220 OK\r\n' 
reply: retcode (220); Msg: b'OK' 
send: 'ehlo localhost.localdomain\r\n' 
reply: b'250-gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [118.166.XXX.XXX]\r\n' 
reply: b'250-8BITMIME\r\n' 
reply: b'250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n' 
reply: b'250 SIZE 69920427\r\n' 
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'gmx.net Hello localhost.localdomain [118.166.XXX.XXX]\n8BITMIME\nAUTH LOGIN PLAIN\nSIZE 69920427' 
send: AUTH  
reply: b'235 Authentication succeeded\r\n' 
reply: retcode (235); Msg: b'Authentication succeeded' 
send: 'mail FROM: size=26855554\r\n' 
reply: b'250 Requested mail action okay, completed\r\n' 
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'Requested mail action okay, completed' 
send: 'rcpt TO:\r\n' 
reply: b'250 OK\r\n' 
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'OK' 
send: 'data\r\n' 
reply: b'354 Start mail input; end with .\r\n' 
reply: retcode (354); Msg: b'Start mail input; end with .' 
data: (354, b'Start mail input; end with .') 
send: b'From: EMAIL@gmx.us\r\nTo: EMAIL@kindle.com\r\nSubject: xMl... 
reply: b'250 Requested mail action okay, completed: id=1MVvL5-1pStUt2rVV-00RrUe\r\n' 
reply: retcode (250); Msg: b'Requested mail action okay, completed: id=1MVvL5-1pStUt2rVV-00RrUe' 
data: (250, b'Requested mail action okay, completed: id=1MVvL5-1pStUt2rVV-00RrUe') 
send: 'quit\r\n' 
reply: b'221 gmx.net Service closing transmission channel\r\n' 
reply: retcode (221); Msg: b'gmx.net Service closing transmission channel' 
Email successfully sent
Old 12-03-2022, 11:15 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

According to that calibre is successfully sending the mail to gmx after that it's out of calibre's control. I dont know why amazon is blacklisting GMX IP addresses, you would have to ask amazon. You can try another mail provider like hotmail to workaround it.
Old 12-04-2022, 07:05 AM   #10
Muck0035

Quote:
According to that calibre is successfully sending the mail to gmx after that it's out of calibre's control. I dont know why amazon is blacklisting GMX IP addresses, you would have to ask amazon. You can try another mail provider like hotmail to workaround it.
Got it, thanks! It's too bad as GMX attachment size support is much better.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
learning2me
learning2me began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi,
I've just found this thread as I'm having the same problem, but I'm using my hotmail email address.
I have been emailing books for years using Calibre, but now getting the blacklisted by recipient message. I have spoken to Amazon who say there is no problem. I'm not very techie, so don't know what else to try. Can anyone help please?
I have the latest version of Calibre and I've deleted all old versions and cleared my cache.
learning2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:55 PM   #12
learning2me

This is what happens when I send a test mail

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 223, in test_email_settings
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 163, in sendmail
File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 143, in sendmail_direct
OSError: Failed to send mail: SMTPServerDisconnected('Connection unexpectedly closed: [WinError 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine')

Log:
Find mail exchanger for jupp.biz
connect: to ('mx01.schlund.de.', 25) None
reply: b'554-kundenserver.de (mxeue103) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\r\n'
reply: b'554-No SMTP service\r\n'
reply: b'554-IP address is block listed.\r\n'
reply: b'554 For explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...qLk-00uz6Q\r\n'
reply: retcode (554); Msg: b'kundenserver.de (mxeue103) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\nNo SMTP service\nIP address is block listed.\nFor explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...p8b3qLk-00uz6Q'
connect: b'kundenserver.de (mxeue103) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\nNo SMTP service\nIP address is block listed.\nFor explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...p8b3qLk-00uz6Q'
send: 'ehlo [192.168.0.117]\r\n'
connect: to ('mx00.schlund.de.', 25) None
reply: b'554-kundenserver.de (mxeue002) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\r\n'
reply: b'554-No SMTP service\r\n'
reply: b'554-IP address is block listed.\r\n'
reply: b'554 For explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...ml1-004Uyk\r\n'
reply: retcode (554); Msg: b'kundenserver.de (mxeue002) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\nNo SMTP service\nIP address is block listed.\nFor explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...pjZ0ml1-004Uyk'
connect: b'kundenserver.de (mxeue002) Nemesis ESMTP Service not available\nNo SMTP service\nIP address is block listed.\nFor explanation visit https://postmaster.1und1.de/de/case?...pjZ0ml1-004Uyk'
send: 'ehlo [192.168.0.117]\r\n'
File "smtplib.py", line 398, in getreply
File "socket.py", line 705, in readinto
ConnectionAbortedError: [WinError 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail_direct
File "smtplib.py", line 943, in send_message
File "smtplib.py", line 611, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
File "smtplib.py", line 452, in ehlo
File "smtplib.py", line 401, in getreply
smtplib.SMTPServerDisconnected: Connection unexpectedly closed: [WinError 10053] An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine
Old 09-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Looking at your log file, it would appear that your IP address appears in a block list.

You might want to open Google and search 'what is my ip' (without the quotes) and then open the Spamhaus link from the link in the error message pointed to in your logs which is https://check.spamhaus.org/. You can then enter your public IP address. This should let you know if your IP address has been block listed.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:23 PM   #14
learning2me

Thank you. You are right. My IP address is blocked. But having read everything, I'm still unsure what to do about it. Will contact my ISP tomorrow.
Old 09-03-2023, 05:46 PM   #15
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Looking at your log file, it would appear that your IP address appears in a block list.

You might want to open Google and search 'what is my ip' (without the quotes) and then open the Spamhaus link from the link in the error message pointed to in your logs which is https://check.spamhaus.org/. You can then enter your public IP address. This should let you know if your IP address has been block listed.
Also: If you have access to your modem, try unplugging it for a bit (60 seconds usually works for me; I've seen '5 minutes' and 'overnight' elsewhere though) and then reconnecting. It depends on your ISP, but this may get you a new IP address.

This doesn't always work though. You may have a static IP (this isn't too likely) or be behind a carrier-grade NAT (a bit more likely).

Also turn off VPNs if you use them.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-03-2023 at 05:49 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote