Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-11-2024, 01:29 PM   #16
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
No. It is too large in diameter and does not adhere magnetically.
Thanks! I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm not yet at the point of ordering a Libra Colour, and I'm not sure I will, but one of the things I wanted to know was whether I might need an additional stylus.

I probably would get one of the less expensive stylus options if I did.

My main beef with the stylus and my Sage is that I'd use the stylus more to jot down thoughts if it actually had a way to attach to the case other than magnetically, which isn't strong enough. As it is, the stylus is never "there" when I need it.

I'm curious about the color tech, but trying to resist, since I hardly need another reader and most of my content isn't color.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 02:37 PM   #17
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Thanks! I had a feeling that might be the case. I'm not yet at the point of ordering a Libra Colour, and I'm not sure I will, but one of the things I wanted to know was whether I might need an additional stylus.

I probably would get one of the less expensive stylus options if I did.

My main beef with the stylus and my Sage is that I'd use the stylus more to jot down thoughts if it actually had a way to attach to the case other than magnetically, which isn't strong enough. As it is, the stylus is never "there" when I need it.

I'm curious about the color tech, but trying to resist, since I hardly need another reader and most of my content isn't color.
Since you use a stylus with your Sage, I can confirm that the above model I mentioned (Renaisser 520C) does indeed hold magnetically at the Sage's left bezel both with the OEM Kobo sleepcover and without. It is strong/secure enough that it does not slide off when carrying throughout the house. It functions like the original Kobo stylus, button-wise, but is slimmer, lighter and rechargeable similar to version 2. BTW, it also provides "Stylus: Battery OK" when touching the battery icon with its nib on the Libra Colour.

Unfortunately, my v.2 Kobo stylus doesn't get used much as it is always dead, even after being fully charged.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2024, 06:46 PM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I keep my Sage Pen in my reading glasses case. Fits with glasses no problem.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:30 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Since you use a stylus with your Sage, I can confirm that the above model I mentioned (Renaisser 520C) does indeed hold magnetically at the Sage's left bezel both with the OEM Kobo sleepcover and without. It is strong/secure enough that it does not slide off when carrying throughout the house. It functions like the original Kobo stylus, button-wise, but is slimmer, lighter and rechargeable similar to version 2. BTW, it also provides "Stylus: Battery OK" when touching the battery icon with its nib on the Libra Colour.

Unfortunately, my v.2 Kobo stylus doesn't get used much as it is always dead, even after being fully charged.

Useful to know, thanks. I might try picking up one. If I had one stylus in my office room, and one in the bedroom, I'd be mostly set for jotting down stray thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:47 AM   #20
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
None of the nibs I have (Kobo or others) are pointy when new. They are all rounded somewhat like a Pentel rollerball pen.

They should not be pointy. My original and oldest Kobo nib is looking the same as the unused spare ones I bought from Kobo. Not long after the original Elipsa was released.
I was just being figurative.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4006.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	208268

Compared to my tip above, these new tips are pointy.

We’ve established over the past two years that your experience with your Elipsa was different than mine. But my experience is valid. I dare say I may have used my Elipsa more than you used yours because you moved up to the Sage, which I didn't do.

My official Kobo nibs were soft, wore down quickly, and the first nibs from the summer of release even left traces of the nib material on the surface of the Elipsa. I would have to wash the screen frequently to remove stylus marks. Subsequent nibs didn’t do that. I can assure you that I did not bear down hard on my nibs. I come from an artist’s background. Bearing down on nibs ruins the tines. I use the same finesse with my styluses.

For all we know, our nibs—from two different sides of the planet—had different builds. I got tired of buying replacement nibs, so I decided to let this last one wear down to the shaft. It’s not as if the Elipsa has the input resolution to tell the difference.

At any rate, now people have two different datasets of experiences to plug into their knowledge base.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2024 at 04:06 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:56 AM   #21
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kobo Stylus 1 compatibility with Libra Colour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
I tried the Metapen Stylus M2 and not all functions work. Yes, you can write. Erasing with the tip of the pen on a book is a hit and miss. More often, it was flipping the page. I could not use it to underline. I returned it.

I just bought a Metapen Stylus M2, and I’m disappointed with it. Yes, they look identical. Compare them with this pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4003.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	208269

But the button and tail are mapped differently than the Kobo Stylus 2. I didn’t have the problems that you did, SilentPartner, but I did find the highlight mapped to the tail instead of the eraser to be very irritating. The eraser was mapped to the button, like with the first Kobo Stylus. Although the button is not as easily pressed as the Kobo Stylus 2 that I have, the Metapen Stylus M2 button is the opposite and is too hard to press.

It sounds like we both bought the same pen but have different problems. That’s terrible quality control. I am returning it tomorrow. I got it on sale and thought this would be perfect to have as a back up, but not if it swaps the buttons. That’ll just cause no end of mistakes when I go to use it.

On another matter, unlike the Kobo sleep cover for my Elipsa, the Kobo LC sleep cover does not have a nested slot for the stylus. You can attach it via magnet to the front of the sleep cover when it’s closed. It’s a very solid connection there, but you have to attach it to the side of the Kobo when the cover is open. It frequently falls off in that position, which is why I thought I might need a back up and wouldn’t mind paying just $27 for it. However, I don’t feel it’s worth it now.

Last edited by Cootey; 05-14-2024 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:49 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Copying a pencil with an eraser top was mad in the 1990s when Wacom first did it. It makes more sense to have two buttons on the barrel and none on the end.

A physical pencil has the eraser on the top end because it's the only way to do it, though often separate erasers are better quality. There are even models in a pencil/pen like tube.

It's a pointless gimmick putting a button on the top end on n electronic stylus. We decided that in 1989 by tests when designing a "pen" for a PDA-like gadget.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:52 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I dare say I may have used my Elipsa more than you used yours because you moved up to the Sage, which I didn't do.
But I used the Sage notes lots, till I recently switched to the TCL Nxtpaper 11.

So my experience of tip wear is just as valid.

There are also other Sage users in the family.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:02 AM   #24
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
My official Kobo nibs were soft, wore down quickly, and the first nibs from the summer of release even left traces of the nib material on the surface of the Elipsa. I would have to wash the screen frequently to remove stylus marks. Subsequent nibs didn’t do that. I can assure you that I did not bear down hard on my nibs. I come from an artist’s background. Bearing down on nibs ruins the tines. I use the same finesse with my styluses.
You must have faulty nibs or press harder than needed. I could only leave a mark on coarse paper by pressing harder than the screen needed.

It needs less pressure than any rollerball, capillary drawing pen, calligraphy pen, soft 4B pencil, charcoal or paint marker or brush I've used. I've done calligraphy off and on for decades since learning it at school. I've made rook quill pens (the word pen comes from the Latin for quill, and the predecessor of the pencil case was for quills & ink and called a penner).

Despite being soft plastic so as to not scratch the screen I think the tips are longer lasting than quills. Also I've never had to wipe tip residue off the Sage screen. The buttons mean it needs much less wiping than the Elipsa.
Old 05-14-2024, 01:46 PM   #25
SilentPartner
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
I just bought a Metapen Stylus M2, and I’m disappointed with it. Yes, they look identical. Compare them with this pic:

Attachment 208269

But the button and tail are mapped differently than the Kobo Stylus 2. I didn’t have the problems that you did, SilentPartner, but I did find the highlight mapped to the tail instead of the eraser to be very irritating. The eraser was mapped to the button, like with the first Kobo Stylus. Although the button is not as easily pressed as the Kobo Stylus 2 that I have, the Metapen Stylus M2 button is the opposite and is too hard to press.
I didn't think that the buttons could be somewhat inverted like that!

I didn't try to highlight with the eraser. I mean, why would I do that?!

I did play around with the button on the side of the pen, but I found that it was annoying to use.

I don't have much experience with pen. I had an iPad with the Apple Pen and a Samsung tablet with the S Pen, and I preferred it to the Apple pen.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #26
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You must have faulty nibs or press harder than needed. I could only leave a mark on coarse paper by pressing harder than the screen needed.

It needs less pressure than any rollerball, capillary drawing pen, calligraphy pen, soft 4B pencil, charcoal or paint marker or brush I've used. I've done calligraphy off and on for decades since learning it at school. I've made rook quill pens (the word pen comes from the Latin for quill, and the predecessor of the pencil case was for quills & ink and called a penner).

Despite being soft plastic so as to not scratch the screen I think the tips are longer lasting than quills. Also I've never had to wipe tip residue off the Sage screen. The buttons mean it needs much less wiping than the Elipsa.

Hi, maybe you’re just trying to work out why my experience is so different than yours, but I need you to stop explaining my experience to me. I used Wacom styluses for years and never needed to replace a nib. You can’t authoritatively state I was using the Kobo Stylus wrong since you haven’t watched me use it. Let’s just agree that our experiences weren’t the same and let it drop.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:07 PM   #27
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPartner View Post
I didn't think that the buttons could be somewhat inverted like that!

I didn't try to highlight with the eraser. I mean, why would I do that?!

I did play around with the button on the side of the pen, but I found that it was annoying to use.

I don't have much experience with pen. I had an iPad with the Apple Pen and a Samsung tablet with the S Pen, and I preferred it to the Apple pen.

Right? Who highlights with an eraser? 😂 Although what you described seemed more glitchy than my experience, and maybe your unit was truly defective, I believe we’ve answered the OP’s question.

Yes, you can buy the Metapen instead of the Kobo branded Stylus 2 and save money, but don’t expect it to work the same. Maybe don’t even expect it to work the same as anybody else’s! My guess is that the Metapen is mapped for the Surface tablet and this causes odd behavior on the Kobo LC.
Old 05-14-2024, 07:44 PM   #28
SilentPartner
SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.SilentPartner has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Libra Colour
Quote:
Yes, you can buy the Metapen instead of the Kobo branded Stylus 2 and save money, but don’t expect it to work the same.
I'm no expert, maybe it's possible to "hack" the stylus and remap the buttons. Maybe there's a stylusdotcom forum somewhere for that.

I mostly highlight passages, I don't really need the pen. Maybe a future Christmas gift for the man who already has everything.
SilentPartner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 04:38 AM   #29
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
You can’t authoritatively state I was using the Kobo Stylus wrong since you haven’t watched me use it. Let’s just agree that our experiences weren’t the same and let it drop.
True.

However it's like we have different products. I wasn't meaning to sound snarky. It's mysterious.
I've used Wacom since 1990s