Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 03:46 AM   #1
hayaku
hayaku began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Memory Leak? (v2.31)

Hello.

I must admit, I wouldn't have expected that my RTX4090 would ram out running, Sigil, but it seems to be the case with v2.31

Click image for larger version

Name:	memory.png
Views:	46
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	211148

Is this memory leak documented, with a fix on the way?

Sometimes, I've come back home to find Sigil consuming >20GB of VRAM. Quite concerning!

Thanks for this app, keep up the good work everybody!

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 06:12 AM. Reason: Thumbnail oversized theme-breaking image
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:49 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It's always possible. A successful Windows QtWebEngine compilation nearly always has warnings of potential memory leaks. But the Qt used with Sigil 2.3.1 is the same one used with Sigil 2.3.0, so I would expect identical results. Any info on just how long Sigil had to stay running to get to the numbers you screen capped?

For the record... Sigil almost never needs very much GPU for rendering epubs. That's why we added the ability to turn off WebEngine's hardware acceleration in Sigil's preferences: to handle the edge cases where WebEngine doesn't always play nice with certain video cards. Have you tried disabling that?

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 09:27 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm not one to leave programs open and running for days at a time, but I'll leave Sigil running to see if I can duplicate your results. So far, my dedicated gpu memory is fluctuating between 0 and around 7,000K. But it's early. I'll keep checking.
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There is a bug posted to Qt about memory consumption with some AMD processors. I do not have a link handy but there are known issues.

I think I found the Qt bug report:

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-125747

Using the --disable-gpu flag seemed to fix things. This did not happen with Intel.

Last edited by KevinH; Today at 09:37 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:02 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm testing on an AMD processor at home right now. But I'm away from it, so I'll have to report back later.

On the Intel laptop (integrated GPU) that I'm also testing on, all memory usage increases with use, but seems to settle back down to numbers that match what it launched with after some idle time. So no net increase that I've been able to find so far.
Advert