Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM   #1
nar001
nar001 began at the beginning.

Device: M96C
Kindle DX Whispernet in Europe?

So I live in Europe, and I know for a fact my country still had 3G networks. Hell, using 311 in the settings for my DX even shows them, but it doesn't seem to be able to connect to any of these for some reason? I did change the date, so that's not the issue, and I did install the caupdate too, but nothing changes. Any pointers? Or did Amazon just disable it globally? Thanks!
nar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:39 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
My DXG only gets the data via 3G or 2G (EDGE). There is no "store" service any more for older Kindles even on WiFi and certs are all expired, so the only thing that works is date reset after battery is flat (which can take a day). Perhaps a non-https site might work, but none of them would have been free anyway.

So even if it connects to 3G or EDGE there is probably nothing it can connect to. Same they did models with mobile/cell and no wifi.

However the DXG is the worst ereader I ever bought. Only 150 dpi, deadly slow for PDFs and no azw3.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 06:22 AM   #3
nar001
nar001 began at the beginning.

Device: M96C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
My DXG only gets the data via 3G or 2G (EDGE). There is no "store" service any more for older Kindles even on WiFi and certs are all expired, so the only thing that works is date reset after battery is flat (which can take a day). Perhaps a non-https site might work, but none of them would have been free anyway.

So even if it connects to 3G or EDGE there is probably nothing it can connect to. Same they did models with mobile/cell and no wifi.

However the DXG is the worst ereader I ever bought. Only 150 dpi, deadly slow for PDFs and no azw3.
Sorry to hear that your experience, honestly i bought solely for the huge display (I do admit it's slow)

Weirdly enough it doesn't connect at all, even if I choose another network, and I don't really get why. At this point I'm more curious as to why it doesn't connect than trying to access the amazon store!
nar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:18 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
How do you select a network? It's an Amazon SIM and account. The DXG (2.5.8 I think?) has no option other than turning mobile or or off. Also it only ever connected to a few sites for "free". Sites either had a download limit or maybe you could be charged?

Certainly no Mobile without account registration (though only registration via mobile). I'd guess if my DXG was de-registered it's unlikely to ever re-register. But it's pretty pointless as it's only mobi or PDF and really most 6.8″ to 8″ Kobos do PDF far better.

Even a PW3 is better for PDF if you've got super-powerful reading glasses! 300 dpi and far faster.

The K3 that came out the same time as the DXG is only 167 dpi, but at least a later upgrade gave it azw3. It's far far better for novels than the DXG, which I bought for PDFs (Amazon had a final bargain sale on NOS DXG) and was a total waste of money. Even my phone with Pocketbook is better for PDFs than a DXG, but I'd use the 8″ Sage or 10.9″ Nxtpaper 11 for PDFs now.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote