Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-15-2020, 02:07 AM   #1
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Libra special usb lead?

Does the Libra require a special usb lead? If so what does it require?

The reason for the question is that yesterday I had just finished doing some file management on my Android tablet and ejected it. I then grabbed the Libra to stick a couple of books on it, plugged it into the same lead and it did not show up in Finder (Mac) but the Libra had asked if I wanted to connect to the computer as usual and I answered yes and I got the usual screen on the Libra. I tried a different usb port and still the same. Got the lead out that came with the Libra and it then appeared correctly in Finder and Calibre.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No, the Libra H2O, or any other Kobo ereader, does not need a special cable. But, some of them can be fussy. I have found that some of the cables I have don't work with some of the devices. The Kobo supplied cables all seem to work, but, some cheap cables I have bought don't.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, the Libra H2O, or any other Kobo ereader, does not need a special cable. But, some of them can be fussy. I have found that some of the cables I have don't work with some of the devices. The Kobo supplied cables all seem to work, but, some cheap cables I have bought don't.
What would be different with those cheap cables?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The only difference that I know of is the price and that they don't work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 01:47 AM   #5
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
Thanks for the comments, I have tried 3 different cables now and 2 of them were bundled with devices (one expensive and one cheap device) and one 'Chinese' shop lead and none of them work with the Libra even though they work fine with lots of other devices. It is only the Kobo one that works with the Libra most odd.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2020, 02:12 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
in my experience: tolerances
the micro usb cable end is a tiny bit smaller so it does not fit snugly into the device, it wobbles...
OR the depth at the moulded cable end is not right ( the protruding metal thing is too short) thus the pins do not make contact properly

3rd possibility is user error - confusing charge-only cables with charge and transfer data cables

once I have a reliably working cable ( which is probably not a kobo supplied one) I leave it permanently connected to the USB hub on my PC, and just attach whatever reader device I wish to update: so kindle, kobo ... will use the same cable

if you studiously avoid buying cheap/unbranded cables you may not have experienced this

Last edited by stumped; 04-16-2020 at 02:15 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
once I have a reliably working cable ( which is probably not a kobo supplied one) I leave it permanently connected to the USB hub on my PC, and just attach whatever reader device I wish to update: so kindle, kobo ... will use the same cable
This is exactly what I do as well.

Back when I had a Samsung S4 phone I noticed that the Kobo supplied cables would not work with the phone. Same thing with my Harmony remotes, Kobo cables were useless. So once I found a good brand with reviews saying it worked with Samsung at least, those are the only ones I now buy. They will work with my Harmony remotes and all Kobo, Kindle and Sony readers that I have and any other device.

What the internal differences are, I couldn't tell you. I just know that not all cables are created equal.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #8
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've had charging cables that would work with one device and not another. One cable I have worked on my old phone, current tablet, and Tolino reader. The same cable didn't work at all on my Sony reader. On my Kobo reader it works but causes the "connected to a computer" message to pop up frequently so it can't be used to charge while reading.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
This is exactly what I do as well.

What the internal differences are, I couldn't tell you. I just know that not all cables are created equal.
thinking about it, not all usb sockets ( as featured in reader devices) are created equal either.

so the usb socket in one device may want slightly longer, or shorter pins, or a thinner or fatter wrap around to grip....
a kobo cable is likely to play nice with a kobo device because kobo have sourced both halves of the connection...
same with a kindle device and a kindle cable...
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find cables bought from Monoprice are rather good quality. I have this one white one I bought there that I use a lot. It even goes on vacation with us when I take my Surface Pro 2 and my Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I generally prefer Anker cables. They fit quite well in all my devices, are durable, and are quite inexpensive when buying multiple at once on sale.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #12
tourneur
Zealot
tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tourneur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I've run into the same issue with the Libras that I've had. Only worked with the cable that came with it. I have a shorter usb cable that I would prefer to use but it never worked with any of the Libras, while that cable works fine with other devices.
tourneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:09 AM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I've cables that work with Nook ST, Libra, H2O original, Sony PRS350, Binatone readme (version with Micro) and NOT reliably for data with a Kindle DXG, Keyboard or PW3.

Never had any problems with full size USB-B or mini-USB. Micro-USB sockets and plugs seem to break more (never had sockets or cables of other USB break). It seems a poor design and poor compliance. It's also visually and mechanically more awkward to see orientation than micro USB. A wider 6 or 7 pin reversible connector able to also be on a charging / USB hub dock would have been better than 5 pin micro USB.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 04:36 PM   #14
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
There are some cheap cables that are sold as "charing cables" or "data cables"; I have found that some of the "charging cables" actually only work for charging and not connecting to the computer, and some of the "data cables" only work for passing data and they don't charge.

I don't know the intricacies of USB, but if they have 4 leads inside, 2 for data and 2 for charging, you could presumably build a cheap charging or data-only cable by leaving out two of the leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I generally prefer Anker cables. They fit quite well in all my devices, are durable, and are quite inexpensive when buying multiple at once on sale.
Same. All of my cables and chargers are from either Anker, or RAVPower. Never had a problem with either.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:14 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Two for data (a twisted pair for a bidirectional channel, not separate Transmit and receive) and two are for power, not specifically actually for charging. Originally no USB devices had batteries. Like wired mouse, keyboard, serial adaptor, Memory stick, DVD drive or HDD today.
Micro USB has a 5th pin only used in the plug to "tell" a gadget to be in USB Host mode instead of USB slave mode. Very few gadgets can charge on the same connector when in USB Host mode and if they can, you need a Y cable. Not all micro USB gadgets support host mode, such switching is called USB2Go.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-20-2020 at 04:17 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote