Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2021, 01:49 AM   #1
ciuvak
ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Lightbulb Kobo Kobo Elipsa compatible pen (usb-c rechargeable)

Successfully tested a new pen alternative and can report that it works really well on Kobo Elipsa. The writing feel is smoother and feels softer gliding on the glass surface, vs the original Kobo pen. Both buttons work as expected, same functions as the original pen.
The new pen is the Lenovo Precision Pen 2 (Part Number: ZG38C03380). Originally it was meant to be used with an Android tablet (Tab P11 Pro).
The unique feature of this pen is that, in my case, it works with the Elipsa, but also works with a ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 6, which uses Wacom AES 2.0 protocol. The pen supports 4,096 levels of pressure and tilt detection. Tested in a few Windows drawing apps, and everything works great, including the tilt feature.
So I've been switching between the Elipsa and Thinkpad writing/drawing with the same pen, because it's capable to switch between two protocols: MPP (N-trig) on the Elipsa and AES 2.0 on Thinkpad Yoga.
Last, but not least, the pen has usb-c port for recharging.
I ordered it from Lenovo Canada for $59.99 CAD here: https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/accesso...S/p/ZG38C03380
It is also listed on Lenovo US for $39.99 USD: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/acces...ets/zg38c03380
Looks to be temporarily unavailable at the moment.
ciuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #2
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Thanks for the review. One of the “features” of the Kobo stylus was that it’s nib wore down like graphite. It’s softer, so it doesn’t scratch the screen (though it can leave very faint “pencil” marks behind). How does the stylus you found compare? You say it’s smooth. Is it a harder nib than the Kobo stylus?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
ciuvak
ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ciuvak could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Thanks for the review. One of the “features” of the Kobo stylus was that it’s nib wore down like graphite. It’s softer, so it doesn’t scratch the screen (though it can leave very faint “pencil” marks behind). How does the stylus you found compare? You say it’s smooth. Is it a harder nib than the Kobo stylus?
Yes, the Lenovo pen also leaves behind very faint marks. These seem a bit less pronounced than the original pen, and can be easily wiped away, as it is just plastic residue. So maybe the Lenovo nib is made from harder plastic? I'm not sure.
The Lenovo nibs are meant to be used on smooth glass, and will probably will wear out faster than normal, due to the display surface texture of the Elipsa.
The Lenovo pen came with only one replacement nib, but the nib model is the same as Wacom Bamboo Ink Plus, and it looks like replacements can be easily purchased, it's not a hard to find part, yet.
Here are some pictures:

Lenovo replacement nib:

Wacom stylus nibs 4pcs (ACK24006Z):
ciuvak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:21 AM   #4
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
While I love the pen (the Precision Pen 2), as Ciuvak mentions it is softer and feels like it will wear out faster. I haven't tried the Bamboo Ink plus nibs on it yet (I do have some so I will eventually).

What I DO want to say is that you need to be careful if you want it for Wacom AES. I have some AES only devices where it clearly does not work. I have one AES devices where it does work but it's the Lenovo M14t portable monitor and I suspect that the screen supports WGP (which this pen is assumed to have), as my Bamboo Ink Plus works on that monitor regardless of whether it is in AES or MPP mode.

Oh, one thing I love about the pen? I charged it a couple of months ago when I got it but it is still going, it has a decidedly long battery life (the Bamboo Ink Plus is also USB-C rechargeable and compatible with the Elipsa but the charge lasts days at most)
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 05:22 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Rechargeable makes no sense on something where battery is about 30c and lasts 6 months. Also the cell will wear out and is likely not replaceable.

It's also a very expensive pen, more so than the Kobo model and excellent 3rd party MS Surface compatible pens with spare nibs (without the BT for Onenote) are about 1/2 that price.

You need to press pretty hard to have the Kobo pen leave a mark on paper. It leaves no mark on the screen.

Pens, smoke alarms, electret microphones and digital multimeters should use Alkaline cells/batteries, not rechargeable. Decent alkaline has nearly 10 years shelf life if cool.

The regular Wacom stylus (Older Lenovo laptops and Serial or USB drawing tablets) is absolutely not compatible with MS Surface or Kobo.

The Wacom EMR stylus used on Kindle Scribe and reMarkable isn't compatible with MS Surface or Kobo.

Some gadgets work with more than one protocol. Beware of that!

The Sage and Libra 2 (not original Libra) also have the digitiser built-in, but the Libra 2 only supports it in the Sketch pad, where the buttons add width or erase.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 03:46 PM   #6
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
I agree to a degree. I have the Precision Pen 2 for another device (which seems to only use WGP and there are only 2 pens verified to work). The fact that it works with the Elipsa is a perk.
As for rechargeable... I prefer to work with AAAA batteries but something wonky is happening with my AAAA pens that they are all discharging way too quickly and/or they stop working unless I unscrew the cap and screw it back on and then it will work for a while and then stop again. I haven't had these issues with the rechargeable ones (though the Bamboo Ink Plus dies WAY too quick as well, it doesn't die until the battery is dead dead so no need to "unscrew the cap" so to speak), and as I use them for work... yeah, I currently favor rechargeable ones. If I could use batteries I'd prefer it, I even bought a 14 pack of AAAA energizer batteries in the hopes the devices wouldn't die so quickly with those but no luck.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:06 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Avoid Energizer and Duracell. They are trading on past reputation. Energizer/Eveready (and formerly Ever Ready) are now owned by a pet food maker and much is simply branded.
The snag with small rechargeable gadgets is the life of the rechargeable cell, inability to open it and lack of a replacement cell. See Apple BT earbuds, though cordless earbuds need to be rechargeable, which is why I only use corded earphones. I have three kinds of BT I never use.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I use the microsoft surface pens
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote