Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 12-06-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
pickil11
pickil11 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Embedding Adobe Fonts

So I've had no problem embedding fonts into my epub, UNLESS they're Adobe fonts that I got with my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription. I'm able to use these fonts in Word and they show up in Calibre, but when I go to do the final checks and embed them Calibre says it cant find them. I found that CC fonts are not installed in the font folder. I'm not sure if that's the reason. But its really depressing to design my cover with a specific font and then not being able to match the chapter titles to that font. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
pickil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Install the fonts in your system folder and calibre will pick them up automatically. Alternately open the edit book tool in calibre and click the manage fonts button there you can specify font files to install which will make them available to calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickil11 View Post
So I've had no problem embedding fonts into my epub, UNLESS they're Adobe fonts that I got with my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription.

[...]

But its really depressing to design my cover with a specific font and then not being able to match the chapter titles to that font. Does anyone know how I can fix this?
No. You cannot use Adobe Creative Cloud fonts in ebooks.

See Hitch's posts a few weeks ago:

and a month before that:

(Hitch runs Booknook.biz, one of the largest ebook conversion companies.)

Side Note: You'll also want to read more details on font licensing + embedding fonts into ebooks.

(Most recently discussed in my Post #10 in the "ePub Chinese Fonts" thread.)

In order to legally embed into an ebook, you usually have to purchase a completely separate license (which typically costs >10x more than the font files themselves).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickil11 View Post
I found that CC fonts are not installed in the font folder. I'm not sure if that's the reason. [...] Does anyone know how I can fix this?
You'll have to download the non-cloud font files + install them to your computer.

OTF or TTF fonts are the acceptable filetype for EPUB.

Once they're actually installed locally, then Calibre + anything else should be able to embed them into your ebook fine.

But like I mentioned above, embedding these paid-for fonts, legally, is most likely preposterously expensive. (Which is why most publishers decide to not do it.)
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote