Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #1
MartinM
MartinM began at the beginning.

Device: kindle previewer
Low cover resolution in ePub

Hi - I'm using Calibre to convert my .docx into ePub format for distribution. When I add a high resolution 2500 x 1600 (600dpi) JPG cover image to the file and convert to ePub the corresponding cover looks terrible in any reader I view in it, and the converted "cover.jpg" is shrunk and down to 96dpi. How can I improve the quality of the cover in the final ePub file?
Any advice will be great - thanks.
MartinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Add or change the following in the class for the cover image in the .css file. Don't use "auto" for the cover image in both height and width.

height: 100%;
width: 100%;
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 05:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
Hi - I'm using Calibre to convert my .docx into ePub format for distribution. When I add a high resolution 2500 x 1600 (600dpi) JPG cover image to the file and convert to ePub the corresponding cover looks terrible in any reader I view in it, and the converted "cover.jpg" is shrunk and down to 96dpi. How can I improve the quality of the cover in the final ePub file?
Any advice will be great - thanks.
What output profile have you selected in the conversion? This sets the maximum size of the images and anything larger will be downscaled. If you don't want the covers resized, you probably should use the "Tablet" profile.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:23 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
To stop it from shrinking in Calibre go to Preferences - Tweak - The maximum width and height for covers saved in the calibre library change this tweak so maximum cover size is larger than the cover you are attempting to use. I have mine set to maximum_cover_size = (3000, 4000)
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:38 AM   #5
MartinM
MartinM began at the beginning.

Device: kindle previewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What output profile have you selected in the conversion? This sets the maximum size of the images and anything larger will be downscaled. If you don't want the covers resized, you probably should use the "Tablet" profile.
I was using the standard OUTPUT FORMAT "EPUB" setting that listed "Kindle" as the Output Profile.
When I switched to generic "TABLET" the cover wasn't resized - THANKS
MartinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert